Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 02:56 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
I see no difference because there really is no difference. Atleast on FB you personally know those that are posting, by accepting them as a friend you are actually saying you give a darn about what that person has to say! If not, you can unfriend them ... or better yet, do it your way and don't sign up.

Your post on this very thread is ME-centric ... you are posting about yourself ... you hate FB users and think they are narcissistic.

Just because city-data offers anonymity to you though a screen name makes no difference. You come here to post because you think you have something to contribute - otherwise why bother.
Oh please. Posting one's opinion is NOT the same thing as posting about oneself. If offering one's opinion qualifies as ME-centric, then I guess the whole world is full of narcissists. Sad that you don't see the distinction.

There's a huge difference between posting on a forum like this and posting on your own Facebook page. When someone posts a question here, they're asking for other people's views. But Facebook is entirely different. No one is asking you for anything. What they're hoping for, however, is that whatever information you share about yourself will be worth knowing and worth the time it takes to read it. If I go onto a friend's Facebook page and see pictures from his honeymoon or see that he just lost his job and is looking for help, that's fine. But if all I see is what he ate for lunch today or 25 trivial things about him, then I'll feel like I wasted my time. If I were on Facebook, I would be more respectful of my friends time. They make the effort to read my page and keep up with me. I won't bore them with mundane details that I would never bother to share in person.

And please read carefully next time. I never said I HATE Facebook users and I never said ALL of them are narcissists. I said I hate the way some people use it because it shows an unhealthy level of self-preoccupation. There are plenty of people who have a healthy relationship with Facebook. Those people I can respect, even I don't care to use FB myself. But it's the people whose FB page is all about the need for attention that I take issue with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 03:05 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
I don't do any of it. Like I need MORE stalkers?

Old 09-30-2009, 04:56 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
You still don't see the difference, do you? I'm posting my opinions and views, but about a subject other than myself. That's different than carving a piece of internet real estate so I can inform my friends that I ate at Chili's today or that I scored 140 on an IQ test. Notice how ME-centric that is.
you stated Denny, that someone is wasting they're lives if they're updating their website all day...

Well, maybe a lot of those people are house bound, cronic illnesses, in wheel chairs, or like me, can write a little bit better then I can verbally express to people in person. I am on the phone at work, and the last thing I want to do, is be on the phone for hours on my down time after work, which is also a lot of other people's view point, b/c they have kids and are busy...

I'm certain, you do things with your down time, that others might consider a wasted of time or something that isn't to their liking....

Your opinion is ok...sure, there is nothing wrong with that, but calling people names b/c they post on Facebook and doing it in generalizing, sure, there are people who are going to take offense.

And by the way, if you take those quizes...they are automatically posted by Facebook on the pages of others, people themselves do not forward them....or send them there, it is in the program of Facebook.

I'm not upset at your posts...but, can certainly understand the views of the other protesting your posts....it's ok to not like Facebook, and yes, I agree, perhaps there are a few who post on Facebook who are self imposed...Facebook has millions of members....hence, all kinds of personalities...but there are also millions of people who use Facebook as a communicative tool...and want to share their families pictures...nothing wrong with that...I'm proud of my family...and so are a lot of other people...

Denny, I do admire and agree with a lot of your posts...but I really do think in this instance, your a little to judgemental of those who do enjoy facebook

Life is supposed to be a free journey...and as long as no one is hurting anyone else...doesn't matter what any of us think...it's the only thing in this world that we get which is free...our human choices and behavior....so, while some may mock facebook, and not enjoy it, others do...it's our priviledge to do so.

There is also another side of this...there are some who post on Facebook and get angry b/c they have friends who don't like it and won't post, or won't accept them as friends....SO WHAT, that to is they're priviledge to do so...why would it bother anyone? I don't get people who believe, b/c they think the way they do, others should to...no one can live up to another's expectations, and if one believes others should, then they are setting themselves and others up for failure...which is also what happens in marriages...I refuse to live my life according to someone else's ideas of what life should be...the key word is happiness...and it makes me very happy at this point in time, to post on Facebook...

Old 09-30-2009, 09:49 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
There is also another side of this...there are some who post on Facebook and get angry b/c they have friends who don't like it and won't post, or won't accept them as friends...
This is my biggest gripe with the way many people use Facebook. I've had friends on Facebook who give me all kinds of grief for not being on there too, telling me how much easier it would be for them if I was on there. Easier for them?! Are you kidding me? Isn't friendship a two-way street where you meet each other halfway. I don't like Facebook, but I do find email, however old-fashioned it's become, very convenient. But I realize that others don't care for it. Should I begrudge them for not using a method of communication I like? Of course not. But I've noticed many people on Facebook do exactly that to their non-Facebook friends, almost treating them like second-tier friends for not being on Facebook.

As for the Me-centric aspect of Facebook, I go back to my original point. The value of Facebook comes down to how you use it. If all you do is write about the mundane details of your life, then it seems like an awful waste of time, not to mention a waste of time for whoever reads your page. If, on the other hand, you use it to keep in touch with relatives in other cities or share news with all your friends at once, then it's a great tool. But the Me-centric aspect is definitely at work. Rutgers just did a study on Twitter and I'm sure if they did a study on Facebook, the findings would be similar. Here is what they discovered:

Out of 3000 Tweets from 350 users, 80% of users are what the authors term "meformers," or "Me Now" status updaters. "Meformers" use Twitter to "post updates on their everyday activities, social lives, feelings, thoughts, and emotions." The other 20% are "informers" who use Twitter to post informational updates, such as links, news, and articles. What would really be interesting is knowing what the Meformers talk about. Do they share interesting information about themselves or do they just tell their followers about how much they hate their boss today?

[LEFT]

Read more at: Most Twitter Users Tweet Only About Themselves -- But Few Follow
[/LEFT]

Old 09-30-2009, 10:22 AM

911 posts, read 2,375,493 times
i have a friend on f.b. that posted one time
" in ambulance taking son to hospital"

seems to me if its worth a ride in the ambulance i wouldnt be worring about facebooking id be worring about the kid

Old 09-30-2009, 10:35 AM

911 posts, read 2,375,493 times
i rarely post anything on my facebook page except if there is somthing cool going on like a band, concert or festival or somthing.

i chat with relatives and outta state friends and read band updates
and my myspace i mainly go on there to get band upates and that sorta thing.

there is actully good use for myspace sometimes. like cd release dates, tours, studio updates, new music.
i actully won tix to a concert for being the 10 thousanth friend of a band on myspace a couple years ago

and then there is some people that post every second of there day from morning coffe till good night all f.b. ya tommorow

Old 09-30-2009, 10:38 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
At first i thought it was stupid..something for the 14 year old set but now that some friends convinced me I like it and I've hooked up with some long lost.. glad to have found friends

Old 11-15-2010, 03:43 PM

277 posts, read 883,993 times
Default Your post sounds exactly like Jimmy Kimmel's thoughts on virtual friends

I know this thread is very old, but I stumbled upon it. Anyway, Jimmy Kimmel Calls for National UnFriend Day, and asks us all to remove friends that don't really care about us. For example, he considers them a friend if they would loan you $50 or help you move over the weekend.

Anyway, I feel just like you, and deleted my Facebook page multiple times. I still remove virtual friends very often. Also, my page doesn't say much but contact me via email or via phone. I avoid Facebook's messages and newsfeed because I don't want to ruin real friendships, and turn them into virtual fake Facebook friendships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5bb...layer_embedded

Jimmy Kimmel Calls for National UnFriend Day

Old 11-15-2010, 03:59 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
No, but then again I am not 14
Kind of annoying and ignorant when people say that.

I go to a music festival every year and met some amazing friends from Ohio and use facebook to talk to them. I use it as a way to check up on my younger (14 yr old!) sister. I use it as a way to send my mom pictures... I'm going to move faaar away in about a month and a half and it will be something that helps keep me in contact with all my family and friends because my husband and I will have no one and will miss people a lot. but yeah, I also use it to post something hilarious my husband says.

Grandmas use it to show off pics of thier grandkids to their friends. People who've moved or have family members who have moved use it to keep in touch, etc etc. Just kidding! It's all just 14 year olds posting song lyrics and taking quizes like "wich twilight caracter r u?

But music festivals are probably for immature people too, huh? So you probably stopped reading there and assured yourself you are right.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:07 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I used to HATE all forms of social networking and I hated it, even more, when people would ask what I was 'on'. After one of my relatives left for Afghanistan, I caved in and decided to join just so I could keep up with what was going on with him.

I now keep in touch with friends and fam all over the world. I know everyone on my list- I don't add random people for the 'fun' of it. I view it as more of a scrapbook than anything else. If anyone wants to see pics of our last vacation, pics of a relatives new baby, send invites for events, etc, we log on to facebook. Obviously it doesn't substitute for phonecalls, sending pics in the mail or writing letters but it's alot more centralized.

I'm usually wary and critical about things like this (twitter, myspace, etc) but I realize you have to use technology to your advantage.
Exactly. I don't add people who aren't my friends "in real life" either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships