Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 09:54 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,302,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Does it **** you off if friends don't "FaceBook" with you? On the flip side, do you wonder why others facebook?

I don't know how many times I have been asked, "Do you have a FaceBook page?" I mean, I get asked about it A LOT! I guess it is the thing now because the women I have met always seem to ask. Is this suppose to be a man's background check?

What kind of people do you noticing using it from your past?

I just never really got it, or got into it. I'm the last hold-out from the popular clique from HS. I have nothing to be ashamed about, great body, great career, etc. In a way, it is not that I am ashamed of anything but too humble to post anything up. In all ways, I am better off than those I know. I figure, no use rubbing it in their face.

And two, I have a wide variety of friends and take care not to mix the two. I don't see any way to not do this on FaceBook from what I understand. I personally know old church ladies that are facebooking but also know the town skank facebooking also. You see, I have friends across all spectrums. Would be kind of weird for a godly friend of mine to visit my facebook, look through MY friends and see another good friend of mine wearing red panties and spread eagle.

And three, I just can't sit down at night and update my life or even care to. I'm kind of a private person in that light. I'm not really into reading over other people's lives either. I more of a "caller" and that applies to texting also. I tend to call everyone at least once a month to catch up.
Facebook is just a "tool" of some kind to most users.

To many idiots, it is a place to proposition and cheat.

For the elderly, widows/widowers, sick, jobless, etc. it is a way to combat being/becoming lonely, depressed, etc., etc.

Asswipes use it to brag and compete.

I know some who use it to transport them to a happier place in their lives like high school or elementary school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 09:56 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,398,319 times
Actually it's the other way around for me. I know a lot of people hate those who have facebook and they bash them like crazy. Most of my friends have facebook, but for those who don't have facebook I'm down with however they want to communicate. Nothing against those who don't have facebook.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:58 AM

3,511 posts, read 5,305,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Does it **** you off if friends don't "FaceBook" with you? On the flip side, do you wonder why others facebook?

I don't know how many times I have been asked, "Do you have a FaceBook page?" I mean, I get asked about it A LOT! I guess it is the thing now because the women I have met always seem to ask. Is this suppose to be a man's background check?

What kind of people do you noticing using it from your past?

I just never really got it, or got into it. I'm the last hold-out from the popular clique from HS. I have nothing to be ashamed about, great body, great career, etc. In a way, it is not that I am ashamed of anything but too humble to post anything up. In all ways, I am better off than those I know. I figure, no use rubbing it in their face.

And two, I have a wide variety of friends and take care not to mix the two. I don't see any way to not do this on FaceBook from what I understand. I personally know old church ladies that are facebooking but also know the town skank facebooking also. You see, I have friends across all spectrums. Would be kind of weird for a godly friend of mine to visit my facebook, look through MY friends and see another good friend of mine wearing red panties and spread eagle.

And three, I just can't sit down at night and update my life or even care to. I'm kind of a private person in that light. I'm not really into reading over other people's lives either. I more of a "caller" and that applies to texting also. I tend to call everyone at least once a month to catch up.
Hell no! CD is the only thing I do. I only do this to give out advice to some people I really like. My head is full of info and I love to share it for THE RIGHT people. We don't need no stinkin Facebook! We have CD! Now if you will excuse me, more of that info is coming your way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2KM-_zpCno

Old 12-31-2010, 10:01 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
No you don't have to get a Facebook account, if you don't choose to...what works for some, doesn't work for others and again, it is very shallow minded to believe otherwise...don't look for the approval of others for happiness....let them go, let them have they're fun on FB, however, live your life to the fullest and don't allow them to upset you...remember, a friend is able to not only allow you, your beliefs, but understands a bigger picture...we're not all the same, we don't all have the same likes and beliefs...
Thanks for your posts. It seems like some of my friends have guzzled some type of kool-aid that distorts their thinking and listening skills when it comes to Facebook....They are on a non-stop mission and campaign to convince everyone they know to join them on Facebook! No matter what I say I keep getting their "invites" to join from Facebook...They seem fanatical about it. It's become their life! Pretty darn spooky to me. I don't want to drink the kool-aid....I don't want to get "hooked."

Old 12-31-2010, 10:27 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,128 times
I was hooked on Facebook for about a year and loved it. Then I realized I was spending too much time on there, sometimes 90 minutes every evening. And most of my "friends" on there I didn't actually know. I had 2,000 "friends" at one point!

So I finally just decided to pull the plug and get rid of my account. It was very difficult because I was addicted. But for me, it just was too much wasted time, even though it was enjoyable. I subsituted Facebook with spending time with my husband, reading, playing with the dogs, etc. I understand the addictive aspect of it. But I saw also that many people on FB lie, brag and use it as a way of being famous in their own little world and substituting FB with real-life interaction.

If you just use it to interact with family and real-life friends, it would be great.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:31 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Thanks for your posts. It seems like some of my friends have guzzled some type of kool-aid that distorts their thinking and listening skills when it comes to Facebook....They are on a non-stop mission and campaign to convince everyone they know to join them on Facebook! No matter what I say I keep getting their "invites" to join from Facebook...They seem fanatical about it. It's become their life! Pretty darn spooky to me. I don't want to drink the kool-aid....I don't want to get "hooked."
yeah, it is spooky, there are people who always go way over the top...and get hooked, and they are weak people who really need to understand, the importance of everything in moderation....

we are human beings and if we haven't developed a personal institution to realize, when we are doing something excessively, we are lost...

Like I said, stick to your guns...be happy with who you are, and learn to say no to people in a way they understand....

Old 12-31-2010, 10:35 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
I scoffed and scorned facebook, too...but now I think it's a nice way to just keep up with people and their day-to-day lives. It's like getting postcards from everyone you care about on a routine basis...ease of communication.

I think it has potential to be abused or people could really waste too much time on it (like we do on CDF), but any tool is like that.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:37 AM

I have to be careful that I don't get addicted to forums too...Anything can take over our lives. Don't you think? When personal computers first came out I became addicted to Prodigy BB's and let them take over my life...Took me quite awhile to "break free."

Old 12-31-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yeah, it is spooky, there are people who always go way over the top...and get hooked, and they are weak people who really need to understand, the importance of everything in moderation....

we are human beings and if we haven't developed a personal institution to realize, when we are doing something excessively, we are lost...

Like I said, stick to your guns...be happy with who you are, and learn to say no to people in a way they understand....
Thanks...I'm a pretty stubborn person and not exactly a "push-over." I don't succumb to "peer pressure" just so people will like me...I'm not a "birds of a feather MUST flock together" kind of person....I agree that some people take things "over the top." And some people seem to need a lot of "outside validation." Don't you think? Thanks...Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2010, 11:59 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,354 times
If I don't bother to keep in touch with people from years ago, then I don't care to have them stalk me down on facebook.

If I have kept in contact, I already have their phone number and call/text them to actually see them in person.

Facebook would just be a source of annoyance and a waste of time. I also don't want my friends who don't know each other mixing. There is one friend at least that has wanted me to join who is pretty immature and would post some innapropriate pictures. I prefer to not have to explain why he cant be my facebook friend, if he found my facebook page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships