Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:06 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,149,684 times

Advertisements

Lots of Facebook haters out there! Personally, I think it's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 09:31 PM

132 posts, read 370,533 times
Oh my gosh, Like Facebook is so like, like, so last week. In my neighborhood, all we do is Tweet on Twitter! And whatever networking website comes out next week, you can be sure we'll dump Dwitter, and be first on that new train! LOL JK!

Old 09-29-2009, 02:08 AM

37,152 posts, read 42,269,129 times
I've had one for a couple of years but I don't have too many friends on it. Many of my IRL friends don't facebook and only a select few from my past have bothered with it, although it was cool to reconnect with them. And I only go on it once in awhile to see if my kids have posted new pictures from college or someting.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:58 AM

28,969 posts, read 30,320,598 times
[quote=DennyCrane;10955904]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

People do like to talk about themselves. But very people want to listen to someone go on and on about themselves. It's one thing to use Facebook to talk about your son's latest birthday celebration or mention that you just landed a new job. But sending out "25 Things You Didn't Know About Me" lists? This just reeks of narcissism. Why? Because no asked you to list 25 things no one knew about you. I don't want to know what my friends had for lunch or that they're feeling at every moment. But this is the kind of stuff people write about on Facebook and Twitter. And it's not just a handful of people. Almost everyone I've seen who uses Facebook is guilty of doing this.
Denny, it s a game, or a quiz, Facebook is loaded with all kinds of fun quizes one of the being "25 things you didn't know about me....

Denny, I'm sorry to say, it seems to me, like, you don't enjoy facebook, that's fine, and quite all right, but don't down people who use it, or call them narcissistic...yes, perhaps there are a few on there who are self absorbed...but everyone is different, and you cannot condemn them for doing so, and everyone you've seen is exactly how many people Denny? Seriously, how many people...b/c there are millions of people on there....

You don't like it fine...but it surely isn't what you think, and it doesn't make you right and me wrong...and yes, I absolutely love to view the families of others...their kids, they're grand kids...it makes me extremely happy, and especially when they post videos...or they tell me about where they're living now, they're walks in life, the good and the bad...some of us grieve together b/c someone we know is dying....or we rejoice together, b/c someone we know is having a baby or getting married....

sheesh, it's not as all confounded bad as you would have it be....

I really really wish, people would just let others be if they're having fun, without judging them....

sorry Denny, but ifn' ya wanna be a facebook hater, fine, but don't dislike, or judge, or condiscend those millions of people into your idea of what a person who uses facebook does. Your wrong...it's fun, exciting, and a very good source/tool to keep connected with people who are living in other parts of the U.S. and/or world.....

Old 09-29-2009, 12:58 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,653,551 times
Quote:
Denny, it s a game, or a quiz, Facebook is loaded with all kinds of fun quizes one of the being "25 things you didn't know about me....
Yes, I understand that it's a game. The internet is full of silly games and quizzes. We all play them at some time or another. But the difference is I don't forward the results to all my friends. Why? Because I know my friends have better things to do than read about what movie star I'm most like or what I fast food I am. Facebook is supposed to be about updating your friends and family with the stuff you think they'd be interested in knowing, like your recent trip to France or your kid's birthday party. But the fact that many individuals on Facebook feel the need to share trivial information with all their friends says something about them.

Quote:
Denny, I'm sorry to say, it seems to me, like, you don't enjoy facebook, that's fine, and quite all right, but don't down people who use it, or call them narcissistic...yes, perhaps there are a few on there who are self absorbed...but everyone is different, and you cannot condemn them for doing so, and everyone you've seen is exactly how many people Denny? Seriously, how many people...b/c there are millions of people on there....
My problem isn't with Facebook. I've already conceded that it has value and can be a very useful tool. As for putting down some of the people who use it and calling them narcissistic, I absolutely stand by that. I realize that not every Facebook user fits this stereotype. But many do. And there's enough of them that sociologists, even psychologists, are collecting enough data to see a pattern. So it isn't just a handful of people.

Quote:
I really really wish, people would just let others be if they're having fun, without judging them....
And normally I wouldn't judge. If someone's into something that doesn't appeal to me, I'll just shrug. But when people waste literally hours of their lives updating a web page or can't make the effort to meet in person and would rather just read updates of their friends pages, then I think it's fair to judge.

What I find funny is how defensive some people get over Facebook. If someone doesn't like something I like, I don't let it bother me and don't care if I'm the only one who likes it. But hearing these Facebook defenders, you'd think they take it personally if you badmouth Facebook.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:15 PM

897 posts, read 2,826,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
But when people waste literally hours of their lives updating a web page or can't make the effort to meet in person and would rather just read updates of their friends pages, then I think it's fair to judge.
What makes your contributions, thoughts and posts here on city-data any different?

Old 09-29-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
What makes your contributions, thoughts and posts here on city-data any different?
They're not about me. Do you not see the difference? It's one thing to talk at length about a subject you're interested in. But what does it say about you when the subject you want to discuss so much is you?

Old 09-29-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
They're not about me. Do you not see the difference? It's one thing to talk at length about a subject you're interested in. But what does it say about you when the subject you want to discuss so much is you?
Your posts here on city-data don't reflect your view points, opinions and experiences. Who is posting here on your behalf, a robot?

Old 09-29-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
Your posts here on city-data don't reflect your view points, opinions and experiences. Who is posting here on your behalf, a robot?
You still don't see the difference, do you? I'm posting my opinions and views, but about a subject other than myself. That's different than carving a piece of internet real estate so I can inform my friends that I ate at Chili's today or that I scored 140 on an IQ test. Notice how ME-centric that is.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
You still don't see the difference, do you? I'm posting my opinions and views, but about a subject other than myself. That's different than carving a piece of internet real estate so I can inform my friends that I ate at Chili's today or that I scored 140 on an IQ test. Notice how ME-centric that is.
I see no difference because there really is no difference. Atleast on FB you personally know those that are posting, by accepting them as a friend you are actually saying you give a darn about what that person has to say! If not, you can unfriend them ... or better yet, do it your way and don't sign up.

Your post on this very thread is ME-centric ... you are posting about yourself ... you hate FB users and think they are narcissistic.

Just because city-data offers anonymity to you though a screen name makes no difference. You come here to post because you think you have something to contribute - otherwise why bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships