Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 04:04 PM

5 posts, read 12,814 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are seriously considering moving to North Carolina or even Virginia. We live in upstate NY area and the taxes are killing us and we are less tolerable of the snow. I have applied for a job in Smithfield, but the salary may not be high enough

I am looking for a position in Emergency Management and my wife is a Certified Meeting Manager who oversees events and meetings. So far we have been looking at the Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte areas because of most job potentials, but want to live on the outskirts.

We would like to find a home with 3BR, 2 1/2 bath with more than an acre of land, but we don't seem to find much.

Anyone have any thoughts to help our decision?? How is housing prices in these areas?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 06:38 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Old North Carolinian proverb:

Employment influences location of resdience.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:54 PM

24 posts, read 47,504 times
To me, Charlotte and Raleigh and two different cities. You need to figure out which one you want to be happy. Don't get me wrong, both are great areas. I would first concentrate my efforts on which area of the state you want to live in, then after visiting each area for a while and determining what you like best, devote your efforts for employment in that area.

NC does not have as many jobs as it has in years past. Not to say that you won't find a job, but be prepared to have a long hard job search. Unemployment is at record highs around 10+%.

If you want to be close to a major city then you will want to live in 'metrolina' or the Charlotte metro area. If you want less of a city feel and have a more low key lifestyle then Raleigh-Durham would be for you.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:32 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
There are many areas around Smithfield that will meet your criteria. You can look in Clayton, Willow Springs area, 40/210 McGee's Crossroads, and Cleveland 40/42 area.

One offset of lower taxes is usually lower salary.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:04 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,019,987 times
The best location is where you can land a job. Remember that while the cost of living is lower in NC than NY, so are the wages. There are many areas throughout the nation that have a lower cost of living than NY in a milder climate where jobs may be more plentiful, so please do not limit yourself on NC if those are you only major requirements.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:32 AM

5 posts, read 12,814 times
Default Raleigh Looks the place

Well, thank you all for the advice. I actually am applying for a job in Raleigh that just opened up, so it looks like the Raleigh area is where we will be concentrating our efforts on.

Any suggestions on areas to live? Looking for 3BR, 2+ bath with minimum of an acre.

Thanks again for all your help.

Andy

Old 11-28-2010, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 6,307 times
There are so many Raleigh possibilities. We love it here. Unfortunately, hubby is taking a job in Wilson county, so we will be moving there. Just go on Google and type in "rental homes in Raleigh NC".
Welcome to Raleigh...now that we are here...we wouldn't move back to Calif if we were paid.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:17 AM

12 posts, read 22,859 times
I'd highly recommend Cary (or the outskirts, if you're looking for more land). One great thing about the Triangle is you don't have to go far out of town to get larger plots of land. We've been in Durham for 5 years and love it, but it wouldn't be worth the commute from here.

We're relocating to California for a job and we're going to miss NC sooo much. Honestly, it took about 4 years to fully embrace this area (a big change for us, coming from CO) but now it's hard to imagine leaving. Such kind people - smart people, and beautiful country and weather.

Best of luck to you!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:21 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
You haven't mentioned your price range, but it shouldn't be hard to find a 3/2.5 house on 1+ acres. As others have said, the location will depend on where your job is. If you get the Smithfield job, you'll want to live somewhere south or southeast of Raleigh. If you get the Raleigh job, . . . it depends on where in Raleigh.

Your post in the Triangle subforum should get you plenty of ideas from people who know.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:37 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic149 View Post
Well, thank you all for the advice. I actually am applying for a job in Raleigh that just opened up, so it looks like the Raleigh area is where we will be concentrating our efforts on.
In that case, you should start a new thread on the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill subforum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina