Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:08 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times

Advertisements

I think NC was solid southern. Just like VA was. But he same thing that happened to VA is happening, or has happened to NC. You ask anybody from NY what MD, VA, or NC is they'll they say the south. The first "southern" state to fall victim was MD. It was the extent of what Northerners viewed as the south. They'd vacation at Ocean City, move their to retire until eventually the southern culture of MD disappeared in the metros. Same thing happened to VA, though VA is still very southern outside of the metros and NOVA especially, people don't really think of it as southern. Now the same thing is happening to NC, if it hasn't already happened.

Don't confuse country and southern, they are two very different things.

In summary and conclusion, though, I'd say NC is a southern state w/ Northern influences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 06:06 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,767,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I think NC was solid southern. Just like VA was. But he same thing that happened to VA is happening, or has happened to NC. You ask anybody from NY what MD, VA, or NC is they'll they say the south. The first "southern" state to fall victim was MD. It was the extent of what Northerners viewed as the south. They'd vacation at Ocean City, move their to retire until eventually the southern culture of MD disappeared in the metros. Same thing happened to VA, though VA is still very southern outside of the metros and NOVA especially, people don't really think of it as southern. Now the same thing is happening to NC, if it hasn't already happened.

In summary and conclusion, though, I'd say NC is a southern state w/ Northern influences.
Not where I live. Henderson is very southern.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:57 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post

Virginia just doesn't look "Southern" in my opinion, it doesn't have anything to do with the people. Most of the forested areas of VA are hilly and have hardwood forests of maples and oaks, it looks more like Kentucky or western Pennsylvania, even the housing styles are different. When I picture "Southern" I think of tall pines and cypress trees, red clay soil, and old houses with big porches.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:33 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,119 times
It's definitely southern here in North Carolina.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:02 PM

29 posts, read 49,042 times
NC has always been and always will be southern. The yankees have no influence on most people in the state. I just wish they would stay up there where they belong. God Bless Dixie!!!

Old 02-14-2011, 06:53 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieMan'61 View Post
NC has always been and always will be southern. The yankees have no influence on most people in the state. I just wish they would stay up there where they belong. God Bless Dixie!!!

I think a lot of Yankees move to NC because they assume that most Southerners are hospitable people and accept people for what they our.

But you know what they say about assume.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:42 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmash View Post
Some people tell me, north carolina is mid-atlantic and others tell me its the south east. I was wondering if north carolina was more mid-atlantic or more southern
It's both.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,469,799 times
I think the weather channel is just as confused as you. I can never get a good gauge on weather because they cut NC off either at the top or bottom of the screens.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:29 AM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
NC is both Mid Atlantic and Southern, just as Virginia is both. Literally, NC is the midway point of the U.S. East Coast, so it is the most Mid Atlantic state of all.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:02 PM

92 posts, read 180,038 times
southeast. without a doubt imo

i've never heard anyone call us mid atlantic. MD-NoVa is mid atlantic. if VA and TN are the south then we sure are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina