Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 05:16 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,156,229 times

Advertisements

^ rnc, our responses are because this very topic was debated way more than it should have been a few months back. Someone (don't remember the poster's name) insisted that NC wasn't in the South, and despite much clear evidence to the contrary he/she could not admit that NC is really a southern state. We all thought it was crazy then, so to see the very same topic as someone's first post...well, it just seems odd, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times
Is Georgia mid-atlantic also? Because when I went to Atlanta...

Old 12-09-2011, 11:13 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I don't think this observation is that far off the mark. Let's face it, the Triangle is pretty similar to NOVA in a variety of ways. Like the relationship between NC and the Triangle, most of Virginia has its dissimilarities with NOVA. Both areas have grown wildly with transplants that come for technology, government and education jobs. The culture in the two places is more "American homongenized" compared to other areas of their respective states and the South in general. I read the post as an observation from a fresh set of eyes. I don't see it as an insult to the area, the South or any one particular group.
The fact that someone would "proclaim" something about an entire state based on a short period of time in one area, in their FIRST post, smells trollish to many of us, especially considering the previous threads on this "topic". If someone just wanted to make an observation, they would word it differently or as a question, not a "proclamation".

Those eying the OP with suspicion about his motives are not saying it's an insult, but a possible troll of many-changing-usernames.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:35 AM

42 posts, read 92,795 times
this is just plain dumb!!!

Old 12-10-2011, 07:45 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy12 View Post
Just got back from the southern us and stoped in north carolina for two weeks and to me north carolina is more mid atlantic. I went to areas around the triangle. Accent is not as southern as south carolina or south of south carolina. High educated people and healthy places to eat. To me north carolina is like northern va.
You have got to be kidding. You went to one little area in a very large state & came up with this.

Granted, there are areas in the MidAtlantic that have a marked resemblance to NC, but to make a pronouncement for the entire state based on one little area is making a pretty big leap. If you'd been in multiple places & said it was both, I'd defend your right to have that impression, but in my opinion, you don't have a defensible arguement.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:32 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,030,446 times
Quote:
Wow...such visceral response to this person's post.

...I don't see it as an insult to the area, the South or any one particular group.
Except that the OP stated
Quote:
To me north carolina is like northern va.
which natives and long-time residents know isn't true.

The OP is either trolling or needs to learn specificity about posting.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:09 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
Quote:
Wow...such visceral response to this person's post.

I don't think this observation is that far off the mark. Let's face it, the Triangle is pretty similar to NOVA in a variety of ways. Like the relationship between NC and the Triangle, most of Virginia has its dissimilarities with NOVA. Both areas have grown wildly with transplants that come for technology, government and education jobs. The culture in the two places is more "American homongenized" compared to other areas of their respective states and the South in general. I read the post as an observation from a fresh set of eyes. I don't see it as an insult to the area, the South or any one particular group.

I don't think the response is too this post as much as this being the latest in series of threads about NC's proper place:

North Carolina: More like South Carolina or Virginia?

is north carolina the most liberal state in the south

Is North Carolina mid-atlantic or southeast

Regarding NC's "Southerness"

Do you consider North Carolina to be a Southeastern State geographically?

Does it bother you natives in North Carolina...

Is North Carolina still a "Southern" state?

NC Mid-Atlantic?Deep South?Southeast??!!

Dose North Carolina have more of a southern feel or a northern feel

Old 12-11-2011, 06:16 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I don't think the response is too this post as much as this being the latest in series of threads about NC's proper place:
Except that this time, the poster (who apparently created the account just to make this post) is not ASKING about the demography, but stating it "authoritatively". There is no question mark in his(?) title. For someone who spent a whole two weeks here, in just one part of the state, there's good reason to suspect the purpose for posting was not to discuss NC's similarities with other areas but to incite a flame war. Otherwise, why wouldn't he just ask "What is NC considered?" or better yet, just read one of the MANY other threads you cite.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:21 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
A drive-by poster that visits one place in NC and makes assumptions, and hasn't even logged back onto C-D since his drive by.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:15 AM

68 posts, read 139,385 times
I've previously stated I'm guilty of starting one myself but only because if you are a native N Carolinian not only is this disrespectful but it's just not logical in any sense & the posters know it. I don't understand this Raleigh & NOVA comparison. The very fact that people are trying to compare 4 cities Raleigh-Durham/Cary & Chapel Hill to a whole other REGION of another state is very strange. Especially considering that NOVA is pretty much metro DC & South VA which is unmistakably the south is NC's major partner not NOVA. I live right under VA. I'm 20 minutes from Danville. People there don't even make mention of NOVA. Even the local television channel you dont see no NOVA advertisements or anything. VA is night and day, it's South VA(southern) & NOVA(mostly Mid Atlantic). NC it's WNC( Southern Appalachain) PNC(Southern City) ENC(Southern) All regions in NC are without a doubt southern. Making the comparison of Raleigh to NOVA is more than just bringing up bio tech & College Towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina