Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2019, 03:34 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
When did I say the Triangle area wasn't Southern? I've always heard the Triangle is quite a bit more Southern outside of Cary/Raleigh. Of course, there are a lot of transplants there and a lot of East Coast culture. However, I have yet to spend any time in the Triangle so I cannot make any assessments. But, from what I have heard towns like Durham, Greensboro and Winston-Salem are very Southern. If I moved to the Triangle I may have been tempted to live in Durham rather than Raleigh/Cary, but people warn me it has a lot of crime. Although, looking at the crime of cities in Missouri, Ohio, etc, Durham doesn't seem quite so bad. Chapel Hill seems quite charming and like a real beautiful place with that Old Southern charm from the pictures I have seen. I wouldn't have thought of Chapel Hill being a non-Southern city. Where did I say that?
1. Charlotte feels more southern to me than most of Triangle.
2. Greensboro and Winston-Salem aren't part of the Triangle, and yes they have a more southern vibe than either Charlotte or the Triangle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 03:41 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,834,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
1. Charlotte feels more southern to me than most of Triangle.
2. Greensboro and Winston-Salem aren't part of the Triangle, and yes they have a more southern vibe than either Charlotte or the Triangle.

The areas outside of Charlotte proper, like Gastonia, Concord , Statesville , etc do feel quite Southern. I remember when I was in the town of Troutman, NC and ate at Randy's BBQ.. I still have some of his sauce left over and use it on all my food. Can anyone of you guys pick some of that stuff up for me and ship to me here in COlorado? Man.. that is some of best damn BBQ I ever had. Yeah, hanging out in Troutman was interesting.. It felt like a real, traditional old Southern town.. Randy's BBQ was a little piece of heaven for me and I miss that place Oh.. the banana pudding they had there made me want to cry. I never had banana pudding in my whole life until I moved to North Carolina. Troutman was only about 1 hour from downtown Charlotte. So there are quite a few Southern towns and suburbs surrounding Charlotte.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
The areas outside of Charlotte proper, like Gastonia, Concord , Statesville , etc do feel quite Southern. I remember when I was in the town of Troutman, NC and ate at Randy's BBQ.. I still have some of his sauce left over and use it on all my food. Can anyone of you guys pick some of that stuff up for me and ship to me here in COlorado? Man.. that is some of best damn BBQ I ever had. Yeah, hanging out in Troutman was interesting.. It felt like a real, traditional old Southern town.. Randy's BBQ was a little piece of heaven for me and I miss that place Oh.. the banana pudding they had there made me want to cry. I never had banana pudding in my whole life until I moved to North Carolina. Troutman was only about 1 hour from downtown Charlotte. So there are quite a few Southern towns and suburbs surrounding Charlotte.
I'll see your Randy's and raise you a Bill Spoon's, Art's, Brooks Sandwich Shop, Greens' Lunch, Bar B Q King, McKoy's, Price's Chicken Coop...

Old 03-09-2019, 04:46 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
When did I say the Triangle area wasn't Southern? I've always heard the Triangle is quite a bit more Southern outside of Cary/Raleigh. Of course, there are a lot of transplants there and a lot of East Coast culture. However, I have yet to spend any time in the Triangle so I cannot make any assessments. But, from what I have heard towns like Durham, Greensboro and Winston-Salem are very Southern. If I moved to the Triangle I may have been tempted to live in Durham rather than Raleigh/Cary, but people warn me it has a lot of crime. Although, looking at the crime of cities in Missouri, Ohio, etc, Durham doesn't seem quite so bad. Chapel Hill seems quite charming and like a real beautiful place with that Old Southern charm from the pictures I have seen. I wouldn't have thought of Chapel Hill being a non-Southern city. Where did I say that?

Maybe, I don't know what "REAL SOUTHERN" really is. There are Southerners in the Charlotte metro, but I spent time in Huntersville, Noda, Uptown, Plaza Midwood, Ballantyne, South Park mostly. It was rare to meet anyone with a Southern accent (subdued or thick) or who was even from North Carolina. I like to ask people where they are from and almost every time it was Pennsylvania, Chicago, Maryland, New York, Upstate New Jersey (NJ Upstaters seem to just love NC), California, etc. I didn't spend time in all the parts of Charlotte. I will say a lot of African American people I met in Charlotte did seem to be the most traditional Southern of all the people I associated with. A lot of them were multi-generation North Carolinans. As I said, when I did my concealed carry course in Cabarrus county, I was the only guy there without a thick drawl and I stuck out a bit.

Charlotte also can be very glitzy, uppity, flashy in its more affluent neighborhoods and I know there are elements of that in Nashville too. I am not sure if that is a "New South" phenomenon or just an East Coast thing altogether. Still trying to figure that out. In Seattle and Portland many of the millionaires drive beaten up Volvos and wear sweatshirts and jeans. It's hard sometimes to distinguish the millionaire from the homeless guy in the Northwest. The higher class people in Charlotte definitely look high class.
There's no such place as upstate NJ. There's North Jersey and South Jersey.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'll see your Randy's and raise you a Bill Spoon's, Art's, Brooks Sandwich Shop, Greens' Lunch, Bar B Q King, McKoy's, Price's Chicken Coop...
Oh man... I regret that I didn't get to try so many of the great local places there. I did enjoy Midwood a lot, although it was a bit pricier than the smaller BBQ places outside the city. The Pinky's Mammoth burger with home-made Pimento cheese and their wonderful sides have a special place in my heart as well. I cannot get a burger like that here in Crudarado. They did open up some Bad Daddy's burgers here though and finally got a little taste of some NC flavor (their sauces). Good Times Burgers (Colorado chain) bought out your Bad Daddy's chain for better or worse. Good Times is pretty nasty, but Bad Daddy's is awesome. Hope they don't Coloradize the chain too much. Yeah, when and "if" I moved back to the South, which could happen this Summer, I will try to make it my mission to try every great local BBQ/food joint that I can. I hope my organs can keep up with me though I felt like I was going to die after I left Randy's. I spent only like $11 on a huge meal and I ate everything and was nearly obliterated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
There's no such place as upstate NJ. There's North Jersey and South Jersey.
Whoops.. Sorry.. Ok, North Jersey then I always get Upstate New York mixed up with "North Jersey".

Old 03-09-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Oh man... I regret that I didn't get to try so many of the great local places there. I did enjoy Midwood a lot, although it was a bit pricier than the smaller BBQ places outside the city. The Pinky's Mammoth burger with home-made Pimento cheese and their wonderful sides have a special place in my heart as well. I cannot get a burger like that here in Crudarado. They did open up some Bad Daddy's burgers here though and finally got a little taste of some NC flavor (their sauces). Good Times Burgers (Colorado chain) bought out your Bad Daddy's chain for better or worse. Good Times is pretty nasty, but Bad Daddy's is awesome. Hope they don't Coloradize the chain too much. Yeah, when and "if" I moved back to the South, which could happen this Summer, I will try to make it my mission to try every great local BBQ/food joint that I can. I hope my organs can keep up with me though I felt like I was going to die after I left Randy's. I spent only like $11 on a huge meal and I ate everything and was nearly obliterated.
Now I know why you didn't think Charlotte felt southern.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:07 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
Hey RotseCherut, let me ask you this. When some actual native North Carolinians are telling you that you are wrong about North Carolina and Charlotte being Southern, what makes you think you have a better handle on what makes a place Southern than we do?? 'Cause that's what you're doing.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:26 PM

329 posts, read 250,268 times
Default If you think...

If you think N.C isn't Southern then you either have your head buried in the sand or haven't been outside of RDU or Charlotte.

Have y'all SEEN the number of SOUTHERN Baptist Churches on every street corner? I'll give ya a hint why they're called SOUTHERN Baptist and not NORTHERN. It's because they're in the South!

The Southern accent is everywhere in NC, whether you got the costal, tidewater version of it, or the more Appalachian version with an R in everything.

If y'all still think N.C ain't Southern then your idea of reality is all cattywampus.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Hey RotseCherut, let me ask you this. When some actual native North Carolinians are telling you that you are wrong about North Carolina and Charlotte being Southern, what makes you think you have a better handle on what makes a place Southern than we do?? 'Cause that's what you're doing.
I am just sharing with you about my experience there and not proclaiming to be the ultimate source of knowledge or authority of Southerness and NOrth Carolina. Many Oregonians will still fight me on what Oregon is all about and what Oregon culture means and I lived there almost my whole life since I was young.

I will not claim to even be the expert on Oregonian culture, but I am glad to meet an expert on North Cackalackian culture.. BTW, since you are a North Carolinan native and an expert on North Carolinan culture, what exactly is the depth of the meaning of "North Cackalacy"?

Oh, BTW, my friend who lives in Sanford area and is a native of North Carolina seems to agree with me on some of my assessments.. He freaked out and threw a fit when he heard I even moved to Charlotte. He said Charlotte is not the real "North Carolina". But, he may be one of those misinformed or lacking proper knowledge and just doesn't truly understand the depths of what the culture really is.

Since he is a native though it may be safer for me to let you debate him instead of an outsider like me. I agree I am an outsider and would never claim to be an expert on your culture or way of life unless I Lived there for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
If you think N.C isn't Southern then you either have your head buried in the sand or haven't been outside of RDU or Charlotte.

Have y'all SEEN the number of SOUTHERN Baptist Churches on every street corner? I'll give ya a hint why they're called SOUTHERN Baptist and not NORTHERN. It's because they're in the South!

The Southern accent is everywhere in NC, whether you got the costal, tidewater version of it, or the more Appalachian version with an R in everything.

If y'all still think N.C ain't Southern then your idea of reality is all cattywampus.
Oh, North Carolina is definitely Southern... Charlotte or RDU is another story though.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
There are southern baptist churches in Pennsylvania...is Pennsylvania a southern state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina