Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 04:04 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
Um, so how IS Cherryville pronounced? I don't want the locals laughing at me if I should ever set foot there.
I live in Kings Mountain, which is south of Cherryville. I run into natives from both Kings Mountain & Cherryville who use any of these pronunciations,

Cherry vil
Cherry v'l
Chair vil
Chair v'l

I've been told that Chur vul is a Lincoln County pronunciation.

I say Cherry v'l because that's the pronunciation of ville that I'm used to. Any town in South Jersey that has a ville is pronounced v'l. No one has corrected me & they know exactly where I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 04:10 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
If you think the **-villes are difficult to grasp, try pronouncing Conetoe correctly.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:52 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,519,220 times
"Ka-need-a" right??

Old 09-01-2011, 05:03 PM

749 posts, read 1,317,055 times
nevermind.

Last edited by carolinablue; 09-01-2011 at 05:19 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 05:28 PM

700 posts, read 1,646,710 times
She is an idiot. It is ville. Just like boro.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:40 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Or it could just be how people say things in different ways. Most don't say "vulle" when they say the following:

Clarksville,
Gainesville
Jacksonville
Danville
Pleasantville
Amityville
I don't know how you know "most" don't say them, but these are not in NC. And Jacksonville, NC, often IS pronounced "Jackson-v'l". And actually, everybody I know from NC or VA pronounces "Danville" as "Dan-v'l". Pretty much the same with Gainesville.

I say you are on a "crusade" because you felt so strongly about it to start a thread and continue your "indignant outrage" through many posts. I am sorry if someone was rude to you, but that's really a different issue than how people pronounce things. YOU are the one who keeps saying over and over that YOUR way is right and others' are wrong, so who is "getting in a snit" about it??

Quote:
But if they do, no biggie. I wouldn't get into a snit or yell at someone for saying it their way. We all say things differently. There are people from outside of NC that don't deserved to be "laughed" at because they don't talk like you.
You've made your point about that, and I have agreed with you. No one should be made fun of for not pronouncing things like the natives do, whatever state you're in (this includes Southerners who mispronounce places in other regions). Though if there is clearly a "wrong" way, a native often will (and should) make a friendly, gentle correction so the person isn't embarrassed the next time (such as someone mispronouncing "Houston St" in NYC, or saying "The Beltway" for "The Beltline" in Raleigh). But I agree with you that the "-ville" variations are just that, variations, and it is not wrong to say "-ville".

Let's see if you are just as infuriated at Since72 above, for claiming that "-ville" is the ONLY right way and "she is an idiot" for saying otherwise?

I still haven't gotten on answer on whether you say "MARY LAND" or "MAR-uh-lund".

Old 09-02-2011, 04:45 AM

164 posts, read 357,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
. YOU are the one who keeps saying over and over that YOUR way is right and others' are wrong, so who is "getting in a snit" about it??

I never once said that.

Quote:
Though if there is clearly a "wrong" way, a native often will (and should) make a friendly, gentle correction so the person isn't embarrassed the next time

Oh my. I can see you have never traveled outside your bubble. You would actually correct a foreigner or a transplant on their pronunciation? That is embarrassing. Really and truly.

Luckily, you are just a small fragment of the NC population. I have met so many wonderful southern folks with true manners that would never DARE make a “friendly, gentle correction” to someone with a different accent. My southern friends have a true appreciation of those that are different and speak in a different manner

Old 09-02-2011, 05:56 AM

164 posts, read 357,864 times
Quote:
I still haven't gotten on answer on whether you say "MARY LAND" or "MAR-uh-lund".
And you won't get my answer I don't need to be "laughed at" or "gently corrected" by you.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:39 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
"Ka-need-a" right??
It's more like Cuh-nee-t(d)uh but I think that's what you meant. The uh being the schwa sound. Good job!!!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:14 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post

I never once said that.

Oh my. I can see you have never traveled outside your bubble. You would actually correct a foreigner or a transplant on their pronunciation? That is embarrassing. Really and truly.

Luckily, you are just a small fragment of the NC population. I have met so many wonderful southern folks with true manners that would never DARE make a “friendly, gentle correction” to someone with a different accent. My southern friends have a true appreciation of those that are different and speak in a different manner
I appreciate corrections on location names. I ask if I'm not sure & I thank people. I don't want to mispronounce location names. Luckily, for me, many Piedmont names were carried down from Philadelphia & South Jersey with settlers & are pronounced the same or so close that it isn't worth mention. It's one thing to have an accent, but it's a completely different thing to mispronounce a location.

Try saying v'l outloud. Is that what the woman was saying? There are some accents in the western Piedmont that I have heard where vul is being said, but I mostly hear v'l.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina