Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:35 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Do you say "MAR-EE-LAND" or "MAR-uh-lund" for the state just north of Virginia?
What would his/her answer prove?

Shouldn't you be asking him if some pronounces it MAR-REE-LAND and he/she pronounces it MAR-uh-lund, do you "correct" them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 11:46 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
"

It wasn't her hometown, btw. She was just a big mouth, uneducated redneck defending Dixie. Sigh.
How do you know she is uneducated? This is so rude.

You sir are very presumptuous.

My husband, and 8th generation Ashville son pronounces it Ashvull.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:14 AM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Hilarious.

The only people who say things like "vul" are people born/raised in the south. Not that's there's anything wrong with that....

They just do not annunciate for some odd reason. And if they do..well, it's still with a southern accent.

If you're not from the area, you are not expected nor required to start saying "vul-this" and "vul-that".

The lady was ruuuude!

Btw, VILLE 4 LIFE!!

Old 09-12-2011, 12:05 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Shouldn't you be asking him if some pronounces it MAR-REE-LAND and he/she pronounces it MAR-uh-lund, do you "correct" them?
Actually my qeustion was to not the OP but the other poster who claimed that "VILLE" is the ONLY pronunciation. At the time I erroneously thought they were one and the same person, and it was too late to correct when I realized it.

Quote:
The only people who say things like "vul" are people born/raised in the south.
They just do not annunciate for some odd reason.
The word is enunciate, not annunciate. [particularly ironic coming from someone who calls himself "Senior Mumbler"!] And what is your point in this underhanded dig:

Quote:
And if they do..well, it's still with a southern accent.
MANY regional accents in the US do not enunciate strictly according to the American Heritage Dictionary. I'd be careful about where you throw stones.

I agree that the woman was rude in the original post. But you're on dangerous territory going to anyplace in the US with a definitive regional accent and telling them they should be saying "X" instead.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:35 PM

164 posts, read 357,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
How do you know she is uneducated?

She was uneducated because she did not know that you should wash your grease laden hair and not wear filthy, food stained clothing. She was uneducated because her stretchy shorts (on her 300+ pound body) were being eaten by her crotch and she didn’t care or notice. She was uneducated because she said things like “People like you ain’t got no right to be sayin’ our words like ya’ll doâ€. Our words. Yes. She used the phrase “Our wordsâ€, as if her piggish self owned the English language.

Shall I go on? She was uneducated.

She should not have been giving out grammar lessons. Believe me.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:16 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,196,373 times
Quote:
[font=Arial]She was uneducated because she did not know that you should wash your grease laden hair and not wear filthy, food stained clothing. She was uneducated because her stretchy shorts (on her 300+ pound body) were being eaten by her crotch and she didn’t care or notice. She was uneducated because she said things like “People like you ain’t got no right to be sayin’ our words like ya’ll do”. Our words. Yes. She used the phrase “Our words”, as if her piggish self owned the English language.
y'all is a contraction of "you all". I'm not sure what ya'll is a contraction of... *** ball?

Quote:
She was happy that I was happy with North Carolina. She asked what has been my favorite place to visit.

...I was floored. She seemed so nice. She turned witch-like very fast.
As we say 'round these parts... your story sounds fishy. She seemed so nice despite being an uneducated, greasy haired, 300 lb, camel-toed behemoth? Which was she? Seemingly nice or apparently the epitome of southern white trash? you can't have it both ways... your entire story lacks the quality of being based in fact when it comes right down to it.

Quote:
Just frustrated with rude people today.
yeah, I can dig it. perhaps you should reflect on that comment a little. do a little meditation...

Old 09-12-2011, 03:37 PM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois
And what is your point in this underhanded dig:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
And if they do..well, it's still with a southern accent.
My bad on the spelling, but the point is, no matter how much one enunciates their words, a southern accent is a southern accent.

It's like saying, "Oh it's not fried chicken, it's fraaad chicken!"
It's the same goddamn thing! Who cares!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois
I agree that the woman was rude in the original post. But you're on dangerous territory going to anyplace in the US with a definitive regional accent and telling them they should be saying "X" instead.
I get your point, but is the OP not entitled to his own regional dialect? If I read the post correctly, she did take the first swing...

Old 09-12-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
y'all is a contraction of "you all". I'm not sure what ya'll is a contraction of... *** ball?

Y’all/ ya’ll…haha! Doesn’t really matter. That’s like our Northern friends trying to give a correct contraction of “you’s” or is it “you’se”…either way, both are slang and not proper phrases. Never got a spelling test on “those” contractions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post

As we say 'round these parts... your story sounds fishy. She seemed so nice despite being an uneducated, greasy haired, 300 lb, camel-toed behemoth? Which was she? Seemingly nice or apparently the epitome of southern white trash? you can't have it both ways... your entire story lacks the quality of being based in fact when it comes right down to it.
Meh. You can be nice and uneducated (and filthy dirty) at the same time. You can be 300+ pounds and be nice. And yes, I know many that some would consider to be “white trash” that are very, VERY nice. So, of course you can have it both ways. Turns out, this lady wasn’t really nice.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
It's like saying, "Oh it's not fried chicken, it's fraaad chicken!"
It's the same goddamn thing! Who cares!
This is a great example. Thank you!

Old 09-15-2011, 05:29 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
I get Concord. I don't get how the pronunciation of Iredell came about. Drives my husband nuts.

Not everyone from NC is as obnoxious as crotch pant eater. I was in Winston-Salem last weekend and discussing my trip to the Outer Banks from a native. She did not once correct me. I did pick up a few of her pronunciations. It was interesting how different their were from my family in Wallburg. Now I wonder how to say them! I'm sure my cousin who has lived in Hertford for the last few years will have a different pronunciation. As long as you can figure out what town/city/village y'all are talking about, who cares? It's a word! There's way bigger issues in the world right now. Like do I have ice cream for dinner or do I actually make dinner.......that's a tough call!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina