Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2014, 09:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I haven't been to Edisto Beach in years, but I love it. Very secluded and quaint.
I really like Edisto Beach. There's a nice state park there. The only time I've ever seen pelicans was there. I had no idea what they were at first. They were amazing to watch.

We also went to the Edisto Island Museum. Very nice, small museum. Quite a bit of history there.

We went in the off season most often so it was VERY quiet! A few times we were the only ones on the beach in the state park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 10:20 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I really like Edisto Beach. There's a nice state park there. The only time I've ever seen pelicans was there. I had no idea what they were at first. They were amazing to watch.

We also went to the Edisto Island Museum. Very nice, small museum. Quite a bit of history there.

We went in the off season most often so it was VERY quiet! A few times we were the only ones on the beach in the state park.
Yeah I went to the state park as part of a field trip in high school; I like it because it's on the quiet side. That's what I like about SC's beaches: whatever type of scene you want, whether it be entertainment-oriented (Myrtle), historic (Charleston), ritzy (Hilton Head), or quiet and quaint (Edisto), you can find it.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:07 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Edisto is very nice. Had an excellent, just caught fried fish sandwich there on the pier where the fishing boats come in. Great to see the dolphins playing in the water while we ate. I hope it remains mostly undiscovered. Places like Charleston have gotten so touristy and unauthentic now that I don't really care to to there these days.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:48 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,961,781 times
Columbia has added about four high rises since those pictures have been taken....A little outdated...That picture is about 15 years old..

Old 01-25-2015, 08:01 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,496,420 times
There are some areas of South Carolina that feel pretty foreign to me coming from North Carolina, like the Lowcountry. Charleston is actually pretty different from Wilmington, and we don't have the Gullah culture in North Carolina. However, for the most part, I don't believe North Carolina is vastly different from South Carolina. You do have the division between Deep (SC) and Upper (NC) South between the two, that's one difference. However, when I drive around the majority of South Carolina, it's not like "Woah! This feels super different" or anything along those lines at all. Columbia is basically a Deep South version of Raleigh if RTP never existed, both have similar layouts and universities (NCSU, USC). They're also both on the Fall line, like Richmond. The SC Upstate doesn't feel too different from the Charlotte metro and Triad, also. I feel like North Carolina is more similar to Virginia and Georgia, but vastly different from South Carolina? Honestly, not in my opinion. It's just less "New South."

Old 03-24-2016, 01:01 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,437,629 times
My fellow native North Carolinian friend, who now lives in another state made a comment that made me realize just how radical and primitive the current North Carolina government is. He said that North Carolina has become one of the most politically regressive and rightwing states in the entire nation, down there with Alabama and Louisiana. He concluded that South Carolina is now more progressive than NC. He said NC is doing things not even SC would consider. You know what, he's right! Smh.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:04 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,526,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
You have made a very very common error in confusing liberal and democrat.

They probably have as many differences as similarities. Liberals are often democrats, but democrats are frequently not liberal.

Don't worry, many many make this error, including many at the national level.

Otherwise, it is a pretty good post.
I agree. I'm the same way about Republican/Conservative. I'm a registered Independent, but a conservative. I absolutely hate political parties and refuse to affiliate with one. I agree with the premise of what you're saying.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:45 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
My fellow native North Carolinian friend, who now lives in another state made a comment that made me realize just how radical and primitive the current North Carolina government is. He said that North Carolina has become one of the most politically regressive and rightwing states in the entire nation, down there with Alabama and Louisiana. He concluded that South Carolina is now more progressive than NC. He said NC is doing things not even SC would consider. You know what, he's right! Smh.
I said a while back that NC state government has gone further to the right than SC in recent years. And just a few days ago, I remarked to a friend that SC is actually looking like the moderate state between NC and GA these days, with high-profile anti-LGBT legislation signed and pending in the former two lately.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:25 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,496,420 times
We're really not that conservative, though. The state is actually divided, we're more of a swing state like VA but not as liberal. It's more of an urban/rural division. The recent news regarding Pat McCrory is very embarrassing, tons of NC residents don't support him or the anti-LGBT legislation. However, and I'm not picking on SC, but there's still no way NC is more conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina