Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 09:19 AM

93 posts, read 167,675 times

Advertisements

I couldn't think of a better title, but no I am not an idiot, I know how to technically move however I'm not sure on a few things. First a quick background:

I'm 23, I grew up with my parents in Dunbarton and in October of 2009 I moved to a condo by myself in Goffstown (for those unfamiliar with the area, they are about 10-15 minutes apart). Before I moved I already had a secure job in Goffstown, hence the reason for moving there. Now I want to move to North Carolina, I've wanted to live there for a while and after a recent road trip where I stopped near Charlotte for 2 days it confirmed that it was the place I wanted to live. Now during my first move to Goffstown I didn't have to worry about finding a new job, moving expenses (I was coming from my parents house with practically nothing), and I was only 10 minutes away when I needed to go back for something.

So my questions are, after I list my condo up for sale what exactly should I focus on next? I've already been looking at job postings in various parts of NC and there have been several that have caught my eye and that I feel qualified for, but how difficult is it to get hired for a job when I can't go in for a face-to-face interview? Won't companies be a bit weary on hiring someone a thousand miles away?

Since most companies are looking to hire immediately, should I wait to find a job in NC until I have a very promising buyer on my condo? I would hate to list my condo for sale, move to NC, then find a job while still paying the mortgage on my condo because what if it takes a year to sell. I thought about listing it and then move in with my parents for a few months until I can secure a job and place in NC, but I would rather not have to do that.

If anyone has any thoughts or comments, I'd be grateful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 11:33 AM

351 posts, read 657,924 times
It's hard to relocate and make the timing work for everything, no doubt. In our case, we moved without jobs, but we had money from the sale of our home and other money we had banked that would provide us something to live on for nearly 2 years. DH hated his job and wanted to change careers and now he's starting at the bottom and hoping to work his way up. But he did get a job within 3 months and believe it or not, I landed a job 2 weeks within moving here. For many reasons, we feel like it was in God's plan for us to be here.

In your case, I would shoot for a job transfer, while concentrating on selling your condo. If that's not an option, you might have to change jobs up there to a company that does offer a transfer option to this area. It's going to be hard to score a job here without knowing someone, not to mention, employers are going to give preference to someone who already lives in this area and can start immediately. (like you said) Concentrate on getting out from under your condo. You may have to move into an apt under a short term lease while you're figuring out your job situation.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:10 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,777,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
I couldn't think of a better title, but no I am not an idiot, I know how to technically move however I'm not sure on a few things. First a quick background:

I'm 23, I grew up with my parents in Dunbarton and in October of 2009 I moved to a condo by myself in Goffstown (for those unfamiliar with the area, they are about 10-15 minutes apart). Before I moved I already had a secure job in Goffstown, hence the reason for moving there. Now I want to move to North Carolina, I've wanted to live there for a while and after a recent road trip where I stopped near Charlotte for 2 days it confirmed that it was the place I wanted to live. Now during my first move to Goffstown I didn't have to worry about finding a new job, moving expenses (I was coming from my parents house with practically nothing), and I was only 10 minutes away when I needed to go back for something.

So my questions are, after I list my condo up for sale what exactly should I focus on next? I've already been looking at job postings in various parts of NC and there have been several that have caught my eye and that I feel qualified for, but how difficult is it to get hired for a job when I can't go in for a face-to-face interview? Won't companies be a bit weary on hiring someone a thousand miles away?

Since most companies are looking to hire immediately, should I wait to find a job in NC until I have a very promising buyer on my condo? I would hate to list my condo for sale, move to NC, then find a job while still paying the mortgage on my condo because what if it takes a year to sell. I thought about listing it and then move in with my parents for a few months until I can secure a job and place in NC, but I would rather not have to do that.

If anyone has any thoughts or comments, I'd be grateful!
This.^^^^ See, you already knew.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:22 PM

34,159 posts, read 83,253,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
I thought about SELLING it (which is a few steps beyond merely listing it)
and then move in with my parents for a few months until I can secure a job and place in NC...
Or an old college buddy or your weird cousin Ernie... whatever is available.

Focus on selling NOW and as the first step in the process...
and before making the out of the area move which will be needed to actually get a job

Old 04-10-2012, 07:07 PM

93 posts, read 167,675 times
Thanks for your comments guys! I can't sell my condo until October of this year (I received the first time home buyers credit and I have to stay a minimum of 3 years), so I'm trying to plan out when that time comes, and not wait until the last minute.

After posting this I came up with a few options. One, I list my condo for sale and if/when it sells, I move in with my parents for a few weeks/months while continuing to work for my current employer, in the meantime I look at housing and careers in NC. Two is I go back down to NC and stay for a week or two at a hotel while both experiencing more of the day-to-day life, while looking for jobs and/or interviewing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina