Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:51 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,067 times

Advertisements

Anti-slavery was not a liberal cause, Republicans pushed for anti-slavery, and republicans pushed the voting rights acts of the 1960's through against democrat opposition. Anti-slavery was the correct cause, thus not a liberal cause.

health care is not denied to anyone in the USA based on sexual orientation. bzzzt, try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Well, let's examine a few liberal causes from the past--anti-slavery, women's suffrage, mentally and physically disabled rights, child labor advocacy--there were no victims among these causes, right? And there are no victims of the actions to deny basic health care and domestic rights to a loving, life-time partner (regardless of sexual orientation), right? I mean, as long as YOU aren't the victim, there's no injustice, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 09:59 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Anti-slavery was not a liberal cause, Republicans pushed for anti-slavery, and republicans pushed the voting rights acts of the 1960's through against democrat opposition. Anti-slavery was the correct cause, thus not a liberal cause.
The Republicans were a radically liberal party at their formation in the 1850s. But it's never as simple as a liberal/conservative dichotomy. SOME liberal Republicans and northern Democrats pushed for Civil Rights together against the opposition of Southern Democrats. But once LBJ, a Democratic President, signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Republicans launched a "Southern strategy," converting southern conservative Democrats to the Republican party. It was a HUGE political re-alignment and made the Republican Party of Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt unrecognizable.

This is basic, recent history.

Quote:
health care is not denied to anyone in the USA based on sexual orientation. bzzzt, try again.
Domestic partner benefits (including health care) will be and are being curtailed by this law.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:05 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:

Since you live in New England, where are you getting your information about the repercussions of Amendment one?

It was Quakers who pushed the anti-slavery movement. I'm not even going to bother with the rest, other than to remind you that the Democrats held the White House from 1960 - 68.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 AM

Uh....what political party was Abraham Lincoln a member of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Since you live in New England, where are you getting your information about the repercussions of Amendment one?

It was Quakers who pushed the anti-slavery movement. I'm not even going to bother with the rest, other than to remind you that the Democrats held the White House from 1960 - 68.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:16 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Quote:
Come on man. You realize the Republicans of 1860 are not the same as the Republicans on 2012, don't you? Lincoln's Republicans wanted infrastructure improvements and an end to slavery. Neither of which is particularly conservative.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Do you really think that the anti-slavery movement started with the Republicans? Are you also unaware that the Republicans formed from the Know-Nothing party & shared members with it.

Lincoln originally did not intend to free any slaves. Did you notice that the Emancipation Proclamation did not free a single slave in the Union states?

Old 05-15-2012, 10:47 AM

No, that is just another canard put out by liberals to whitewash their own sordid history. Read the Republican Party Platforms of 1860 and 1960, those are much closer to today's republican party than of today's democrat party. Sorry, you can have your own opinions, but not your own facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Come on man. You realize the Republicans of 1860 are not the same as the Republicans on 2012, don't you? Lincoln's Republicans wanted infrastructure improvements and an end to slavery. Neither of which is particularly conservative.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:48 AM

I notice you refused to answer my simple questin as to what political party president Abraham Lincoln was a member of. More liberal whitewashing.

Quote:
Do you really think that the anti-slavery movement started with the Republicans? Are you also unaware that the Republicans formed from the Know-Nothing party & shared members with it.

Lincoln originally did not intend to free any slaves. Did you notice that the Emancipation Proclamation did not free a single slave in the Union states?

Old 05-15-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I notice you refused to answer my simple questin as to what political party president Abraham Lincoln was a member of. More liberal whitewashing.
There is no need to answer that question, unless you don't know. It seemed rhetorical to me. Have you looked up the Know Nothing Party? Here's a link to start you. Know-Nothing party (political party, United States) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

Again, the Quakers drove the anti-slavery movement going back as far as the 18th century.

FYI, I am an Independant. The snide remarks from you & your cohorts are not winning me to your side. Amendment One went beyond gay marriage.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:09 AM

Liberals will never see the enlightened side, not until they grow up out of their juvenile thinking patterns. Just so you know, Lincoln was a Republican, and the Civil War, under his presidency ended Slavery.

Quote:
There is no need to answer that question, unless you don't know. It seemed rhetorical to me. Have you looked up the Know Nothing Party? Here's a link to start you. Know-Nothing party (political party, United States) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

Again, the Quakers drove the anti-slavery movement going back as far as the 18th century.

FYI, I am an Independant. The snide remarks from you & your cohorts are not winning me to your side. Amendment One went beyond gay marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina