Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 05:50 AM

351 posts, read 632,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Blake my friend, perhaps you overlooked my earlier post, or perhaps you just need it to be repeated to aid in your reading comprehension:

Blake, in most cases you want to be sure you know what you're talking about before posting on a message board. Otherwise it makes you look very ignorant.

See, insurance coverage is not a "government handout". It costs the government absolutely nothing when an insurance company offers a birth control benefit. It seems your hatred for those different from you is clouding your ability to understand basic concepts like insurance and government. So, now that you know that government handouts aren't involved, what is your objection to providing women with this benefit?
So should government tell the insurance companies and the businesses that purchase it what they have to and don't have to include for employees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 05:52 AM

351 posts, read 632,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrycandy View Post
I love 'goodbye' posts.
But as you see, I can't stay away long.

I just don't understand why so many here don't want to here from folks who differ from their opinion?

Old 05-16-2012, 06:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Ben Fold of 'Ben Fold Five' is a North Carolina native and this is what he had to say in an interview.

Quote:
It's embarrassing. I don't believe that the population of people that I know [in North Carolina] agree with that. Everyone is confounded, even the right-leaning people that I know feel like it's financially irresponsible. It doesn't make any sense.

I don't like talking about politics publicly, but I think a lot of this is a result of corporations being people. When you can buy anything you want, we don't know how that result came about any more.

I've talked to one unnamed Senator recently who told me, about three weeks ago, to expect stuff like that in North Carolina. Basically, one man and his company spent 11 million dollars and bought the political system in North Carolina. It probably has something to do with that, but it never was like that before.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:10 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
I just don't understand why so many here don't want to here from folks who differ from their opinion?
There's really nothing more to discuss about it. It's a dead issue at this point and everyone's talking in circles.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:14 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
So should government tell the insurance companies and the businesses that purchase it what they have to and don't have to include for employees?
Duh, there's a reason every state in the country (and every territory too) regulates insurance companies:

State regulators protect consumers by ensuring that insurance policy provisions comply with state law, are reasonable and fair, and do not contain major gaps in coverage that might be misunderstood by consumers and leave them unprotected. (edit to add the source: NAIC)

So the answer to your question is YES--the government clearly has the authority to tell insurance companies what they have to include, and they exercise this authority with regularity by requiring approval for insurance products before offering them to customers.

Last edited by arbyunc; 05-16-2012 at 06:35 AM..

Old 05-16-2012, 06:23 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
People all over the world are laughing at NC's vote on this subject -
The citizens of 32 states disagree with you. More are coming.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:20 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The citizens of 32 states disagree with you. More are coming.
I'll tell you what is coming... more moderates are going to be pushed away from this off the wall conservative sub-group that has completely lost touch with reality and hijacked the GOP. The right has been pushed so far right by social conservatives trying to send us back into the dark ages that they're losing the entire middle of the political spectrum.

It's not even just the moderates and Independents they're losing... Your typical fiscal conservative or Libertarian, who would normally vote straight line GOP, is being pushed away too. Look at what is getting triggered off all over the country with regard to the Ron Paul supporters at state GOP conventions. Look at the state recalls - the GOP governors and Congress lining up to get thrown out or lose in the next election.

In the end, most of this "civil union issue" comes down to religion more than anything else. The people posting in these threads about "moral", "family", "tradition", "sanctity" is an old school Christian - would bet big on that. Their opinion on this issue is driven by their religious belief. So I admit to finding it mildly amusing when your stereotypical bible-thumper is faced with the cold hard POTUS choice of a true christian incumbent vs. a fake christian Mormon in November. That's going to be a funny one.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:11 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,421 times
when a liberal says moderate, he means someone who wants the status quo, big goverment, big taxes, and humungous deficits. what liberals fail to see is that the tea party movement, and conservatives in general, want mainly the following: balanced budgets, and smaller government. Liberals think that is racist and extreme right wing, common sense says its moderate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'll tell you what is coming... more moderates are going to be pushed away from this off the wall conservative sub-group that has completely lost touch with reality and hijacked the GOP. The right has been pushed so far right by social conservatives trying to send us back into the dark ages that they're losing the entire middle of the political spectrum.

It's not even just the moderates and Independents they're losing... Your typical fiscal conservative or Libertarian, who would normally vote straight line GOP, is being pushed away too. Look at what is getting triggered off all over the country with regard to the Ron Paul supporters at state GOP conventions. Look at the state recalls - the GOP governors and Congress lining up to get thrown out or lose in the next election.

In the end, most of this "civil union issue" comes down to religion more than anything else. The people posting in these threads about "moral", "family", "tradition", "sanctity" is an old school Christian - would bet big on that. Their opinion on this issue is driven by their religious belief. So I admit to finding it mildly amusing when your stereotypical bible-thumper is faced with the cold hard POTUS choice of a true christian incumbent vs. a fake christian Mormon in November. That's going to be a funny one.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:39 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
when a liberal says moderate, he means someone who wants the status quo, big goverment, big taxes, and humungous deficits. what liberals fail to see is that the tea party movement, and conservatives in general, want mainly the following: balanced budgets, and smaller government. Liberals think that is racist and extreme right wing, common sense says its moderate.
lol Right out of FOX News. One day you'll realize what a true "liberal" is - you should take some time to listen to Ron Paul instead of the sideshow clowns that keep getting run up to the tea baggers soapbox. You describe a fiscal conservative with "balanced budgets, and smaller government" - not the extremist right wing tea baggers who are SOCIAL conservatives. For them it's all about social issues - abortion, gay rights... I mean seriously, look at the legislation that is getting pushed through by your sub sect party.

Smaller government, but let's tell everyone what they can or cannot do from a moral and godly perspective. It's an oxymoron in so many ways making them plain and simple hypocrites. What a joke.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:48 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Dang it Mikey, you keep putting up these great posts and I can only rep you once. Nail, head.

I really wish people would put aside the labels, the animosity, and the "I can't support that because it came from the other side" attitudes, and let's move this country forward by addressing the things that really matter. Not gonna happen anytime soon, I'm afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina