Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 08:03 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,404,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Can someone from the charlotte forums post a map of uptown Charlotte's grid network with all the proposed projects. I've been looking online but it seems that we get so many projects proposed that it just comes irrevelant.Kinda want to see how the medium and density that's going on.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...E.klI9U5bNYpnk

Better map

Old 11-06-2014, 08:28 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,601,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Another DT Raleigh restaurant gets national recognition. Why am I not surprised?

Raleigh restaurant's drink named one of 'Best American Cocktails' - Triangle Business Journal

It pays to have unique restaurants DT. Instead of just chains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
There are unigue places to eat in uptown Charlotte as for chains as well. Personally I like going to the chains because there already nationally known. So there's no need for the so called hype here that you give Raleigh. Raleigh is up and coming so its only natural that you get some media attention now. Charlottes kinda already been there done that in that department. Hosting the DMC for one put us in a different media class.

As a former chef there are unique restaurants uptown and around Charlotte but the culinary scene for a city this large is not good. We are the only metro in NC that has not had a James Beard nominee in the last 5-10 years. We have 1 wine company that gets some recognition but as far as restaurants we do not. Chains are really not the answer to culinary options. I can name almost every restaurant worth eating at that is not a chain Uptown on one hand. I am not saying Charlotte doesn't have some solid places but as far as unique local good restaurants Charlotte lags Raleigh a lot.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:17 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,520,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
As a former chef there are unique restaurants uptown and around Charlotte but the culinary scene for a city this large is not good. We are the only metro in NC that has not had a James Beard nominee in the last 5-10 years. We have 1 wine company that gets some recognition but as far as restaurants we do not. Chains are really not the answer to culinary options. I can name almost every restaurant worth eating at that is not a chain Uptown on one hand. I am not saying Charlotte doesn't have some solid places but as far as unique local good restaurants Charlotte lags Raleigh a lot.
I just want to apologize for calling you a Kool Aid drinker. That was the most honest response I have seen on this thread in a while.

If I may ask a personal question? You said you are a former Chef? Why former? I only ask because I think that's one of the coolest jobs around. I would love to be a Chef. One big thing stands in my way. Talent.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
The Bearden apartments in third ward Charlotte. 32 floors with 2 floors of retail and 6 floors of parking.
Is this just a proposal or something that has a real chance of being built?

Old 11-07-2014, 04:19 AM

370 posts, read 545,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Is this just a proposal or something that has a real chance of being built?
A very real chance. I'd say 80-90%. Greystar are reputable in the industry and have a lot of capital behind them. Expect this project, along with the 25 story 300 S Tryon, 27 story Tryon Place, 19 story Portman project and possibly 2-4 more 20+ story projects break ground in 2015. (Skyhouse 2, Epicenter, Crescent parcel at NHOF, and a couple more that are just pre-proposals) 2015 will likely be Charlotte's most active build year since the mid-2000 boom. Not even taking into consideration our low rise and mid rise projects going on throught uptown, NoDa, Plaza-Mwood and Southend. Charlotte is officially exiting our era as "Car-lot".

More important than even the building itself is the zoning and quality of these projects. All offer solid retail on the base and are aesthetically pleasing. Even Portman which was just an ugly box before, has been improved dramatically, had floors added to it and is seeking LEED status. A truly exciting time indeed.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:38 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,444,340 times
There us another project at 300 North College Street. Atlanta based Tivoli Properties is planning a 30-35
residential tower. The project would include ground retail and up to 330 rental/apartments units.

http://www.bizjourna...t-tower-in.html

Last edited by CLT1985; 11-07-2014 at 05:56 AM..

Old 11-07-2014, 06:20 AM

363 posts, read 445,558 times
Quote:
There us another project at 300 North College Street. Atlanta based Tivoli Properties is planning a 30-35
residential tower. The project would include ground retail and up to 330 rental/apartments units.

Broken link, can you post the correct one? Id like to read.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:27 AM

363 posts, read 445,558 times
High-rise buildings, luxury apartments planned for downtown Durham's ?gateway? property - Triangle Business Journal

Good for news for Durham

Old 11-07-2014, 06:35 AM

370 posts, read 545,054 times
Quote:

I'm skeptical about the likelihood of this getting anywhere, at least in the next couple years. That render is just a place holder, it does not represent what they would actually plan to build there based on what I've been told.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:51 AM

You beat me to it!!!!
Was going to post that article myself. Good news for the Bull City. There is another high rise coming before that project gets going. Don't have the exact name would have to dig that info up. With those two projects and the two or three new hotels DT Durham along with all the infill projects. Durham's doing big things these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina