Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:04 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times

Advertisements

This will be a relatively short-lived chapter for us. The steady stream of Northern liberals (which I'm part of) continues to flow into the state, the outrage being exhibited over conservative, right-leaning politics is growing and newer generations of voters are more informed and motivated than any preceding it (based on lengthy, often exhausting conversations with my teenagers around the dinner table). It will simply be more difficult for politicians to manipulate events to affect the changes they desire and that will be good for all of us regardless of which end of the political spectrum you call home.

Last edited by NYC2RDU; 07-10-2013 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,358,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
The steady stream of Northern liberals (which I'm part of) continues to flow into the state...
There are a lot of transplants in the major urban areas, like the Triangle. But these areas are already significantly more liberal than the majority of the state. The rural areas continue to be quite conservative.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 AM

13 posts, read 28,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Be sure you register to vote right away. You can do it at any public library or when you get your NC driver's licenses, just do it ASAP--it's the kind of thing people tend to put off until a major election, and the Legislature is likely going to seriously curtail the ability to register during early voting (as well as shorterning early voting). Also there are school board elections this October and the last time there was "just" a School Board election, the same Right-Wing deep pockets who created our current legislature helped get a clown-car majority on the Wake County School Board that, similarly to this article, got Wake county in the national news for the wrong reasons.
When I went to apply for my Learner's Permit, I registered to vote right away. I hope like many members have said, the ongoing flow of Tri-state area Northerners (of whom I meet and see all the time down here) most of which are Democrat/Liberal will help bring progressive change to the state for the better.

Thanks for the reminder on the school board election, I'll put that on the calendar!

Old 07-10-2013, 11:16 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,795,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
Saw a bumper sticker this morning. Happiness is a Yankee heading North.
With the direction the state is taking, the happiness is probably on the Yankee's part.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:18 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,738 times
North Carolina has gone down tremendously. Yes we still have plenty transplants everyday. I find that most of the majority come from up north...Of course coming from states like NY, NJ, CT,things will seem rosy to you here, because things are significantly higher up North. 5th highest unemployment rate in the nation out of 50 states(not good); Skyhigh taxes on everything.(The state taxes you to death);Fierce competition for even a retail job at Kmart....Cmon people. Sorry, but I dont like what the state has become.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
This will be a relatively short-lived chapter for us.
It will simply be more difficult for politicians to manipulate events to affect the changes they desire...
gerrymander v. Manipulate the boundaries of (an electoral constituency) so as to favor one party or class.
In NC? Say it ain't so! LINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando
RALEIGH — North Carolina’s legislative and congressional boundaries were upheld Monday by a three-judge panel, a decision lauded by state Republicans who oversaw the drafting of the maps in 2011. ... attorneys representing the groups say the case is likely to be appealed to the state Supreme Court and possibly to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:36 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,655,121 times
This has already been posted.

The Decline of North Carolina

Old 07-10-2013, 11:37 AM

334 posts, read 867,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
With the direction the state is taking, the happiness is probably on the Yankee's part.
Lets just say the feeling is mutual.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
You can talk against the validity of the article all you want. Especially with its dismissive view of the South altogether. But go down to the almost 1000 comments beneath it. Those points raised there and the people raising them carry much more weight.
You seriously think New York Times commenters "carry weight" ?

Old 07-10-2013, 12:27 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
Saw a bumper sticker this morning. Happiness is a Yankee heading North.
You're probably stuck with us until the property taxes up north get reasonable, which means you're stuck with us forever. We look forward to voting - again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina