Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 06:44 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,359 times

Advertisements

I know it makes no difference to anyone, but I have reconsidered moving back to NC because of the politics. I don't want my kids to be subjected to conservative "values". The gutting of schools, including at the university level, is a deal-breaker. It is embarrassing and sad that the (fanatically religious and intrusive) tea partiers have set up their headquarters in NC. It is strange that politics have become more conservative despite the influx of transplants -- hiw did that happen?

Last edited by west seattle gal; 07-12-2013 at 07:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 07:08 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
I know it makes no difference to anyone, but I have reconsidered moving to NC because of the politics. I don't want my kids to be subjected to conservative "values". The gutting of schools, including at the university level, is a deal-breaker. It is embarrassing and sad that the (fanatically religious and intrusive) tea partiers have set up their headquarters in NC. It is strange that politics have become more conservative despite the influx of transplants -- hiw did that happen?
Democrats were disillusioned in 2010 because the 'hope and change' they were promised back in 2008 did not happen. Even with two branches of government under their control, Obama and the dem Congress failed to pass meaningful healthcare legislation, failed to close Guantanamo, failed to scale back the executive powers that Bush started, and failed to pass regulations that would prevent similar types of economic crashes to the one that happened in 2008. Instead we saw them conceding everything, compromising everything--even if they had nothing to lose!

So dems were too discouraged by the whole thing to bother voting.

Meanwhile republicans were very passionate about regaining some ground. They were motivated to get out to the polls. The Tea Party was at its peak influence and they organized a campaign to target swing states and take over their legislatures before the census, so as to be the party in control during redistricting. Because of this several states: Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Wisconsin, and NC are all in a pickle.

NC seems to be in a particularly bad position because unlike the other states, our governor cannot veto district maps. So regardless how little support the republicans in the general assembly have when everyone finally gets around to voting, they have the keys to the kingdom. It would take an unprecedented national landslide to get rid of them.

I am actually starting to wonder if their goal is to scare away newcomers (and make things horrible enough here for people to start to leave) to deliberately try to keep this a red state and reverse the demographic trends the party was facing. That is my fear, and your post sort of confirms that fear.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:58 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
I tell you, west seattle, if I were in your shoes I'd be tempted to reconsider at least until 2014 and see what happens in the elections then. I think the pendulum has just swung far far right, but I don't think it will stay there for long. The latest polls show that everybody is unhappy with the legislature so I would hope a lot of these bozos will be out on their butts in 2014. Even Republicans unhappy with NC legislature - Public Policy Polling

Old 07-12-2013, 08:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I don't think it's neutral when said that way. It's more of a chop-busting type of moniker. A light-hearted way to make fun of people. But that's mostly among an older set of people.

The only neutral "Yankee" you hear is when talking about the baseball team or a certain type of New England furniture.
And as someone who grew up here, hearing the term for over 4 decades, I respectfully disagree. Sometimes people are unnecessarily defensive.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I am actually starting to wonder if their goal is to scare away newcomers (and make things horrible enough here for people to start to leave) to deliberately try to keep this a red state and reverse the demographic trends the party was facing. That is my fear, and your post sort of confirms that fear.
I'm quite convinced that this is part of the plan. They are trying to stay in power by:

-making it harder to vote (which will affect more Dems than Reps)
-gerrymandering laughable districts that pack Dems into areas where their majority is over 20% while the Reps' majority in most of their districts is more in the 5% range (I saw stats on this somewhere)

-and finally, as you say, by doing what they can to run out anyone who's poor (by not expanding Medicaid and terminating unemployment as early as they can get away with) or progressive (by introducing HARD-Right social policies more often seen in Oklahoma and Mississippi)

All of these are already making some left-leaning voters leave NC (I personally know several who have moved or are planning to); I'm sure it will also keep a certain number from coming in the first place. How much "brain drain" this causes (since the more educated a person is, typically the more left-leaning they are politically) won't be measurable until well after the current gang is out of office.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:24 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
And as someone who grew up here, hearing the term for over 4 decades, I respectfully disagree. Sometimes people are unnecessarily defensive.
I grew up here as well. In my experience, "Yankee" is not a neutral term. It's either used in a friendly way to bust friends and neighbors chops (mostly by older people) or by the uneducated to deride people from the North. No one would legitimately say "Yankee" to describe someone in a neutral way unless they couldn't be bothered to ask a simple question about where the person was from.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:11 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,391 times
Quote:
I'm quite convinced that this is part of the plan. They are trying to stay in power by:

-making it harder to vote (which will affect more Dems than Reps)
-gerrymandering laughable districts that pack Dems into areas where their majority is over 20% while the Reps' majority in most of their districts is more in the 5% range (I saw stats on this somewhere)

-and finally, as you say, by doing what they can to run out anyone who's poor (by not expanding Medicaid and terminating unemployment as early as they can get away with) or progressive (by introducing HARD-Right social policies more often seen in Oklahoma and Mississippi)

All of these are already making some left-leaning voters leave NC (I personally know several who have moved or are planning to); I'm sure it will also keep a certain number from coming in the first place. How much "brain drain" this causes (since the more educated a person is, typically the more left-leaning they are politically) won't be measurable until well after the current gang is out of office.
I do think they may have strategically undermined themselves. When you gerrymander such that all your districts have you at a 5% advantage, and then you **** off all the moderates, you actually are setting yourself up for a potential upset. Sure, 30% of the state is hardcore evangelical conservatives who love what they're doing, but a lot of people who voted for McCrory, and who were ambivalent about the state of affairs in the GA, are suddenly going to care that schools are going to languish, that their kids are going to be taught evangelical propaganda in school, that their taxes are going up while the rich are going to pay less, that the Outer Banks they used to brag about are covered in tarballs from offshore drilling, that they have to drive to Asheville and wait in line for an abortion.

Some people will leave but at the same time how often do people actually move because of politics? It takes a lot of effort to move, and people get emotionally attached to the places they live. When you can no longer afford food in the grocery store and your job prospects are disappearing, then it's time to leave.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Some people will leave but at the same time how often do people actually move because of politics? It takes a lot of effort to move, and people get emotionally attached to the places they live. When you can no longer afford food in the grocery store and your job prospects are disappearing, then it's time to leave.
Who is in danger of moving away?

-Gay people who can now get full legal marriage recognition in 13 states and DC
-Women who might want access to abortion that's not constantly being undermined (or women's health care providers who don't like working in such a "Big Brother" climate)
-Anyone worried about needing more than the amount of Unemployment NC now pays (shortest in the whole US)
-Anyone who might qualify for expanded Medicaid in states that expanded it, but not here.

Of course, the current GOP would cheer any of these demographics leaving NC, so it plays right into their hands.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 AM

893 posts, read 791,003 times
Maybe it's been said already because I didn't read all the previous posts but I would say it's sour grapes because of all the people from New York moving to North Carolina. Think of all that tax money they've lost.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:53 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
Quote:
How much "brain drain" this causes (since the more educated a person is, typically the more left-leaning they are politically) won't be measurable until well after the current gang is out of office.
That is one of the dumbest statements of all time. Anywhere.

You have no evidence of this.

Admittedly liberals think they are smarter but that is just because they are arrogant and too self righteous to recognize the idiocy of most of their positions.

I would say most left leaning people are left oriented because they are uneducated, poor, comfortable on the federal or state dole. Do you really believe these folk, who routinely vote dem and are liberal in all their endeavors are the ones that are smart.

Too funny.

OBTW, I am pretty liberal leaning, but not to the point of being stupidly liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina