Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 10:09 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,531,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
The very widespread disappointment with President Obama will doom NC Dems in 2014. I am really afraid it will be worse..more rabid right wingers.

Like it or not, that is how it will be. Shudder to think.
I love Obama and think he has done a great job. Many democrats feel the same way. Is this not true in N.C.? The national polls are snapshots in time from limited samples & fluctuate wildly throughout the year for all politicians, including past Presidents. I don't believe they reflect future votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 12:37 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,566,311 times
another opinion:

Steve Moore: Why Are North Carolina Liberals So @&%*! Angry? - WSJ.com

Old 07-20-2013, 10:07 AM

257 posts, read 295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Why? When authority and privilege are abused to the point of harm. North Carolinians, like most free Americans, want to keep there freedoms.... for instance: April 2, 2013, House Joint Resolution 494 attempted to establish an OFFICIAL RELIGION. I am sure the pilgrims and our 'founding fathers' are turning over in their graves. Then again, perhaps they too were seen as Liberals. (excerpt below)

HOUSEJOINT RESOLUTION 494
SECTION1. The North Carolina GeneralAssembly asserts that the Constitution of the United States of America does notprohibit states or their subsidiaries from making laws respecting anestablishment of religion.
SECTION2. The North Carolina GeneralAssembly does not recognize federal court rulings which prohibit and otherwiseregulate the State of North Carolina, its public schools, or any politicalsubdivisions of the State from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:13 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,771,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveHeart01 View Post
Why? When authority and privilege are abused to the point of harm. North Carolinians, like most free Americans, want to keep there freedoms.... for instance: April 2, 2013, House Joint Resolution 494 attempted to establish an OFFICIAL RELIGION. I am sure the pilgrims and our 'founding fathers' are turning over in their graves. Then again, perhaps they too were seen as Liberals. (excerpt below)
Pardon me for being blunt but that is a lie.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:42 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,848,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
It's not JUST the Liberals who are angry--it's the Moderates, too, even some fairly Right-leaning Moderates.

McCrory was a wolf in sheep's clothing. He should have at least been honest about his proclitivity instead of fooling people into thinking he would be moderate.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:59 PM

252 posts, read 474,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I hope you don't mind if I jump in and be blunt too. You are misinformed.

"North Carolina legislators made national headlines last week with a bit of high-profile religious extremism. They introduced a resolution declaring that the state has the right to declare an official religion – presumably Christianity. The bill also contended that states are “sovereign” and that federal courts cannot prevent states “from making laws respecting the establishment of religion.” April 8, 2013
Can North Carolina Declare an "Official" Religion? | TIME.com

Thankfully, that failed. Hopefully their attempt to steal Asheville's water system without any compensation will fail too. And then there was their attempt to make accepting unreported gifts from lobbyists legal again. Why hide that they represent the money backing them & paying them off, right? And their initial attempt to completely hide the chemicals used in fracking failed. Now it just has to be disclosed to a state agency but will be hidden from the public. It''s kind of like not having food ingredients listed on the label, and it only being reported to the USDA. But its crap being pumped into our water supply. The staff of life...

Important work they're trying to do in Raleigh. Yep.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:05 PM

34,116 posts, read 83,086,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOver2 View Post
"North Carolina legislators made national headlines last week with a bit of high-profile religious extremism. They introduced a resolution declaring...

Thankfully, that failed.
But we still have the prayer at public meeting lawsuits going. Again.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOver2 View Post
I hope you don't mind if I jump in and be blunt too. You are misinformed.

"North Carolina legislators made national headlines last week with a bit of high-profile religious extremism. They introduced a resolution declaring that the state has the right to declare an official religion – presumably Christianity. The bill also contended that states are “sovereign” and that federal courts cannot prevent states “from making laws respecting the establishment of religion.” April 8, 2013
Can North Carolina Declare an "Official" Religion? | TIME.com

Thankfully, that failed. Hopefully their attempt to steal Asheville's water system without any compensation will fail too. And then there was their attempt to make accepting unreported gifts from lobbyists legal again. Why hide that they represent the money backing them & paying them off, right? And their initial attempt to completely hide the chemicals used in fracking failed. Now it just has to be disclosed to a state agency but will be hidden from the public. It''s kind of like not having food ingredients listed on the label, and it only being reported to the USDA. But its crap being pumped into our water supply. The staff of life...

Important work they're trying to do in Raleigh. Yep.
Yes, thankfully the bill it failed. It was stupid, and ill conceived. But I advise you that the federal statutes regarding crimes is codified in Chapter 18 of the United States Code and not the Reader's Digest. Just as such the General Statutes of North Carolina are not entered in to Time magazine by the Secretary of State.

Until your post I was willing to accept that there was some sort of kool-aid issue that both parties' partisans seem to relish though they are of different yet surprisingly similar flavors.

Quote:
House Joint Resolution 494 attempted to establish an OFFICIAL RELIGION
For you to say that and then quote the "relative lines" that say nothing about a state religion this long after it has been hashed out over and over again must be cognitive dissonance. You cannot accept the words that you yourself are quoting because the new evidence (that you introduced to yourself) does not jive with what you know to be truth even when the real truth is being typed out with your own fingers.

Since you are sticking to your story, why don't you tell us what kind of religion the bill outlines. Which denomination or is the state creating something new and fresh? Will their be priests? If it's a new denomination and it is based upon succession of bishops who will anoint the new clergy seeing that it will have to come from outside of the official church? I think Anglican might be easier than Catholic but both of these are still too Roman so let's look at other possibilities.

What Time says in the quote above is pretty accurate but that's not what you said nor is it what the liberal media took it and ran throwing away all journalistic ethics in order to bask in some imagined victory that only they will remember (and alas me).

Instead of lying, the press could have taken it at what it was and ridiculed the G.A. for that if they wanted. I was not for the bill. It was stupid but what it really was about was butt hurt and wanting to cry in front of peers over some dumb lawsuit. It wasn't establishing anything and it certainly wouldn't establish anything because it was a resolution and if you didn't know, those don't establish anything even if they get out of committee which this one never had a chance.

So, Time's first paragraph that you posted is a lot more accurate than what you said and the second paragraph explained what was rally going on. Take those two paragraphs and add the lines you pasted you don't come up with a proposal for anything.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
But we still have the prayer at public meeting lawsuits going. Again.
And I think there is a genuine Constitutional question there and I can understand the butt hurt from an ACLU lawsuit. But, from an inclusionary stand point there should not be any prayers that are geared toward one religion or faith group.

So they need to get over it but nooooo we got to fight everything out until a judge agrees with us or we run out of money.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:10 PM

257 posts, read 295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I am not sure what appears to be a lie. If you are looking for the bill, here's the direct link:
<http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2013/B...PDF/H494v1.pdf>
You can also perform your own independent online search and get a status update.

Is that the "lie" you referred to? And therefore I am a liar? Do your homework before challenging someone's integrity.

I never quoted a any news media, the H494 speaks for itself AND loudly identifies the degree of control a small group of self-serving people attempt to take. I do believe in freedom of religion, all men are created equal ... and lots of other points used to establish this country and why men and women have died for those rights. It was beyond my imagination that with all the talk of wanting to strengthen our economy, create more jobs, etc., the thought of a single religion even came to a discussion point. Yes, it has been put to bed - for now. But what's next from these self-serving minds.

Last edited by BraveHeart01; 07-20-2013 at 07:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina