Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 09:07 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,566,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I can't believe those Tea Party ignoramuses voted to take away bonus pay for teachers with advanced degrees. These backwater Cretans despise education and enlightenment.
I work for an insurance company in Raleigh. My employer will pay much of tuition so long as the degree is related to my position. But guess what? I don't get an automatic pay raise should I earn a Masters degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 11:16 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,096,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Nothing will stop the freight train from rolling full steam ahead. As more cities around our broke arss nation go bankrupt, people that bankrupted it are moving to places like here to keep the coal in steam engine to wreck havoc the same way they did it back home.

Makes perfect sense.
It took 60 years of rampant corruption and massive population and jobs losses to get Detroit to bankruptcy. The simple fact is that this just doesn't happen very often, and when it does, it takes a very long time of extraordinarily bad conditions. It's not like cities are falling like dominos. If a city in NC ever goes bankrupt, it will not be because of a few transplants.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:20 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,096,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
I work for an insurance company in Raleigh. My employer will pay much of tuition so long as the degree is related to my position. But guess what? I don't get an automatic pay raise should I earn a Masters degree.
There's something very odd about someone who believes they deserve less for doing more. And let's be honest... selling insurance is not vital to the future in the way that education certainly is. If you're cool with making sure you have lower educated teachers teaching your children, you're really not thinking that one through.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:24 PM

30 posts, read 41,578 times
Default The Value of Education

I don't think that a master's degree ensures that a teacher is a great teacher but I think it is ironic that we tell students that advanced degrees are very valuable, yet, teachers are no longer going to be rewarded for earning advanced degrees! Wow! Isn't that a great lesson for them to learn! In some states, a master's degree is required so teachers are forced to earn one at great personal cost. I do believe that fewer students are going to want to become teachers because there is so much pressure and stress and the pay doesn't compensate for the HUGE responsibility. Very sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
There's something very odd about someone who believes they deserve less for doing more. And let's be honest... selling insurance is not vital to the future in the way that education certainly is. If you're cool with making sure you have lower educated teachers teaching your children, you're really not thinking that one through.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:20 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,368,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGaL View Post
I don't think that a master's degree ensures that a teacher is a great teacher but I think it is ironic that we tell students that advanced degrees are very valuable, yet, teachers are no longer going to be rewarded for earning advanced degrees! Wow! Isn't that a great lesson for them to learn! In some states, a master's degree is required so teachers are forced to earn one at great personal cost. I do believe that fewer students are going to want to become teachers because there is so much pressure and stress and the pay doesn't compensate for the HUGE responsibility. Very sad.
Let alone, the new stigma, "You're a 'teacher'? Who would want to be a 'teacher'?

Old 12-28-2013, 08:56 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,531,738 times
Teachers are vitally important to the next generation, and it's an incredibly difficult job. Most parents understand this and appreciate your dedication despite all of the obstacles. Please just ignore any individual who gives you grief, for they really just don't have a clue...but in the larger political arena, unify as a profession and fight for the respect and monetary compensation you deserve.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:18 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,848,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Let alone, the new stigma, "You're a 'teacher'? Who would want to be a 'teacher'?
That's actually not a "new" stigma"--I have heard that said of teachers for almost 30 years, back when I was considering being one. Which is part of what leads to disrespect for the profession resulting in the severe cuts we're seeing now by Legislators who couldn't survive a week in even a "good" classroom, let alone produce results.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:03 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,926,809 times
I think a masters is a waste for most teachers and adds little value for the students. Exceptions being, High school Science and Math teachers....maybe computer teachers going forward too. They should be encouraged to pursue advanced degrees and should be $$ for them.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:44 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,869,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
I think a masters is a waste for most teachers and adds little value for the students. Exceptions being, High school Science and Math teachers....maybe computer teachers going forward too. They should be encouraged to pursue advanced degrees and should be $$ for them.
I tend to agree with this. It all depends on the curriculum you are teaching and pay should be based on how hard that curriculum is. If you have a masters degree and prefer to teach 1st grade, you probably shouldnt be rewarded for it with higher pay. But if you want to teach 11th grade, you should be.

I know a lot of teachers that complain over their pay, the required summer courses (but what about my summer off?), the central office, etc...and they teach elementary school level stuff with a bachelor's degree they earned 20 plus years ago. They don't seem to think they should have to keep up with current stuff and should get paid more for just being there longer doing the same task they ever did. In reality, they are a dime a dozen, because there are younger teachers that can't get a full time position. And the state is having a hard time keeping up with paying the pensions for that 20 or 30 year worker and will moreso going forward.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:41 PM

251 posts, read 274,604 times
Well this article doesn't help matters. NC politician writes resignation letter in Klingon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina