Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 06:18 PM

34,116 posts, read 83,086,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Moreover, judging by all the politicians "evolving" toward support equal marriage, politicians also believe the electorate today is pro-equality. You know things have evolved when even George W Bush tries to disavow his antigay past and wiggles away from saying he opposes same-sex marriage.
And the recurring public meeting prayer issue that just ends up costing us a ton of money
as it wends it's way through the courts to be shut down later on each time.

And it's only when the anti-choice crowd is able to phrase the argument on their terms
and by that to occlude the actual issues that they get some mild support beyond the religious base.
This is why we had the wasted NCGA exercise of the last few weeks that will end up costing us
a ton of money as it wends it's way through the courts to be shut down later on.

Point? These are NOT the business of government.
Get past them. Focus on fiscal solvency and the good jobs needed to fund public works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 06:29 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,771,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Well, judging by the sea change in public opinion nationwide on this issue and recent elections and referenda in favor of same-sex marriage, I would assert your point of reference from 2008 and before is way stale. Moreover, judging by all the politicians "evolving" toward support equal marriage, politicians also believe the electorate today is pro-equality. You know things have evolved when even George W Bush tries to disavow his antigay past and wiggles away from saying he opposes same-sex marriage.
I'm not pointing to any dates, you are. The claim is North Carolina should be held responsible for something they did but California should not.

Doesn't matter. I doubt either vote hurt either state and hardly anyone cares that doesn't already have an agenda.

Everything about what people think and how they evolved is irrelevant. You are making excuses based on how you think people think and not for what they did.

Feel free to keep spouting how we're hicks and California isn't. I'm not saying either one is the case. I'm just saying what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,771,579 times
Gee I hope this doesn't stop all the retired cops from moving down here after they leave their $100K job and want us to treat them as. . .

Old 07-12-2013, 11:12 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,848,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
These are usually the same folks who tend to use the phrase, "The War of Northern Aggression"
Almost every time I hear that term used by a Southerner, it is said tongue-in-cheek, i.e. nobody really calls it that. The term "Yankee" is not necessarily derogatory and often used by Northerners themselves. Not long ago I was with a group of friends, all but one being NC natives, and the one who was a transplant said himself with no prompting "Wow, am I the only Yankee here?"

Of course it, like almost any word that describes a certain demographic, can be said simply as a descriptor or can be said with a "tone" that implies dislike. "Jew" for example--you can say "our next-door neighbors are Jews" meaning simply that, or you can say "Our next-door neighbors are Jews" with an entirely different (negative) meaning.

Yes, "Yankee" is often used in an insulting way, but a lot of the time it's simply pointing out a difference in people, like "Sara is a Yankee--she's never had grits before." Perfectly neutral and explanatory.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:18 AM

4,616 posts, read 6,453,268 times
Thankfully, I rare hear the word used amongst my friends, associates, and family, in fact essentially never.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:04 PM

173 posts, read 297,354 times
Thousands of people moving here every year, economy improving.

Wow, we're declining so much.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:21 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,026,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yes, "Yankee" is often used in an insulting way, but a lot of the time it's simply pointing out a difference in people, like "Sara is a Yankee--she's never had grits before." Perfectly neutral and explanatory.
I don't think it's neutral when said that way. It's more of a chop-busting type of moniker. A light-hearted way to make fun of people. But that's mostly among an older set of people.

The only neutral "Yankee" you hear is when talking about the baseball team or a certain type of New England furniture.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:22 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,361,722 times
How about "yankee ingenuity"? I could be wrong, not being of the Northern persuasion myself, but I have the impression that "yankee" is less of a pejorative than "redneck". And, of course, many folks are proud to label themselves Redneck. That is all off the topic of this thread, though.

Somehow I'm thinking that McCrory now saying he will not veto the HB 695 after his campaign promise not to sign any abortion restrictions will not contribute to North Carolina's reputation elsewhere.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:49 PM

34,116 posts, read 83,086,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
The only neutral "Yankee" you hear is when talking about the baseball team
or a certain type of New England furniture.
From the revolution until the civil war... everyone was a Yankee.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:39 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,026,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
From the revolution until the civil war... everyone was a Yankee.
To people from outside the USA, such as the British, this was true. But within the United States, it was used mostly to refer to native WASP New Englanders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina