Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:34 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,188,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
So the Governor gives out some cookies people freak out? Not everything is political in life. You progressives are so hateful of anyone that does not share your beliefs. How do you go through life with so much hate and anger? I mean it was cookies for crying out loud.

Yeah, the Guv is such a nice guy. I'm sure he's baked enough cookies to feed all the people who've had their unemployment benefits and medicaid assistance jerked out from under them. So what's the problem, right? Let them eat cookies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 07:07 AM

875 posts, read 1,166,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I find it very curious that a conservative suddenly is interested in regulating an industry for the purpose of protecting the 'safety of the customer'. Why this sudden change of heart? I thought the 'free market' would regulate itself and if an abortion facility were unsafe, people would stop going to that one--at least that's what I would *think* a conservative would say if they were ideologically consistent.

Not that I mind this new outlook you have. So I guess since you're gung ho on government intervention now, we can finally agree on gun safety laws, carbon emission reductions, and economic regulations that prevent recessions like the last one?

For the record, if you wanted to make abortions as safe as possible you'd require hospitals to provide them. Doesn't that make more sense than having them done in clinics that can be targets for protesters or bombers? If you want state of the art facilities, have abortions covered by health insurance plans and have them be performed at hospitals.

It's transparently obvious from the way conservatives gradually passed legislation since Roe v Wade to get abortions out of hospitals as much as possible, and into their own po-dunk clinics, then turn those clinics into propaganda huts where women have to sit through hours of lies about the risks of getting an abortion, and then made it as financially impossible for those clinics to operate as they could.... it's quite obvious what they're trying to do.
The state has an interest in setting medical standards and verifying those standards are being met. I would hope you would want your medical facility to undergo regular inspections.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Yeah, the Guv is such a nice guy. I'm sure he's baked enough cookies to feed all the people who've had their unemployment benefits and medicaid assistance jerked out from under them. So what's the problem, right? Let them eat cookies!
Thank you for making my point. Look, I get it; any act by those with a different political mindset than yours is a hateful act. Look at the expression on the protester's face in the picture. She has no idea how to process the fact that the Governor did not come out with horns on his head and try to steal her uterus right then and there. It is unfathomable to her that someone with a different belief system than hers can do something traditionally considered a nice gesture.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:03 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,979,597 times
Quote:
Thank you for making my point. Look, I get it; any act by those with a different political mindset than yours is a hateful act. Look at the expression on the protester's face in the picture. She has no idea how to process the fact that the Governor did not come out with horns on his head and try to steal her uterus right then and there. It is unfathomable to her that someone with a different belief system than hers can do something traditionally considered a nice gesture.
Bear in mind you're the only one calling anyone else hateful in this thread so far. Saying that liberals simply hate everyone that disagrees with them is the only blanket statement anyone is making here. I don't know if you're deliberately trying to be ironic, but it stopped being funny a few pages ago.

But I will go so far to say that your interpretation of human interactions is a bit unusual. As an example if your boss invited you to his office, said you were being fired, and gave you cookies, would you say "oh, what a swell guy"? Most adults understand that doing something that severely hurts someone else, and then giving them a present for instance, is a way of adding insult to injury. Ever watch any mafia movies or james bond movies? It's a classic motif to give someone the best drink they've ever had before you off them. It's also a culturally ingrained way of showing contempt for someone in the south: politeness with an air of condescension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad
The state has an interest in setting medical standards and verifying those standards are being met. I would hope you would want your medical facility to undergo regular inspections.
I would want any medical facilities in my state to be held to standards that aren't set politically but medically, based on their need. Forcing women to sit through a propaganda video telling them they'll die, become suicidal, or become infertile from getting an abortion is not very academic, is it? I noticed you didn't address this point when I made it before, or any of the other points that I brought up in the last post. What they have done is the equivalent of requiring every dentist's office to carry an MRI. It would put dentists out of business in this state. They don't ever use an MRI, they don't need an MRI, and it's far beyond their capital to afford that kind of instrument. When something like that gets passed it is obviously an attempt to kill an industry through bureaucracy.

I can't help but notice you're not making any positive or negative claims about whether you think women should be able to obtain abortions. You're sticking to the narrow path of repeating this political soundbite and saying nothing else, much like our infamous governor. If you wish to have an honest discussion about abortion I'm up for that, but I don't have the patience to engage with this kind of trolling.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:10 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,416,126 times
well said , Vatnos! couldn't rep you again.
I personally found the "cookie" move to be kind of
cocky of our governor, he got what he wanted and
we get cookies to make us feel better.

Men should really take a backseat in the discussion
of abortion

Old 08-01-2013, 11:18 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,062,491 times
Quote:
Come on, you can't believe this is about standards... Why care so much about "safety" when it comes to abortion clinics while not even looking at environmental issues or simply looking to provide good healthcare for everyone in general? You know, making things better/safer/standards for us all. It's completely disingenuous and insulting to try and pretend this is anything but targeted to the availability of abortions... and the reality (history proves this) is that you're driving women (most of them young) to basement and garage procedures - the net net being you're making it worse by closing all the avenues legally.

Don't get me wrong... there's nothing wrong with regulating medical facilities. If people were dropping dead from using these clinics, that's one thing - close em up... but please stop insulting my intelligence that it's about making things safer.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Come on, you can't believe this is about standards... Why care so much about "safety" when it comes to abortion clinics while not even looking at environmental issues or simply looking to provide good healthcare for everyone in general? You know, making things better/safer/standards for us all. It's completely disingenuous and insulting to try and pretend this is anything but targeted to the availability of abortions... and the reality (history proves this) is that you're driving women (most of them young) to basement and garage procedures - the net net being you're making it worse by closing all the avenues legally.

Don't get me wrong... there's nothing wrong with regulating medical facilities. If people were dropping dead from using these clinics, that's one thing - close em up... but please stop insulting my intelligence that it's about making things safer.
Why don't you read the audit in this forum topic and tell me which findings are acceptable to you:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...on-clinic.html

Keep in mind this was at the "model" clinic. If the model was this bad how bad do you think other clinics are? Is it worth a look? Should facilities be allowed to degrade to a Kermit Gosnell type facility in NC?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Bear in mind you're the only one calling anyone else hateful in this thread so far. Saying that liberals simply hate everyone that disagrees with them is the only blanket statement anyone is making here. I don't know if you're deliberately trying to be ironic, but it stopped being funny a few pages ago.
My statement is based on personal experience. What do you call it when folks on this board call the GA and their supporters a bunch of racists that want to kill the poor? Is that a nice statement or a hateful one? What about the rest of the name-calling and slander?

Quote:
But I will go so far to say that your interpretation of human interactions is a bit unusual. As an example if your boss invited you to his office, said you were being fired, and gave you cookies, would you say "oh, what a swell guy"? Most adults understand that doing something that severely hurts someone else, and then giving them a present for instance, is a way of adding insult to injury. Ever watch any mafia movies or james bond movies? It's a classic motif to give someone the best drink they've ever had before you off them. It's also a culturally ingrained way of showing contempt for someone in the south: politeness with an air of condescension.
And you know what they say about people who make assumptions. I think you are reading way to much into it but apparently every action by a Republican is a personal slight to a Progressive so it makes sense.

Quote:
I would want any medical facilities in my state to be held to standards that aren't set politically but medically, based on their need. Forcing women to sit through a propaganda video telling them they'll die, become suicidal, or become infertile from getting an abortion is not very academic, is it? I noticed you didn't address this point when I made it before, or any of the other points that I brought up in the last post. What they have done is the equivalent of requiring every dentist's office to carry an MRI. It would put dentists out of business in this state. They don't ever use an MRI, they don't need an MRI, and it's far beyond their capital to afford that kind of instrument. When something like that gets passed it is obviously an attempt to kill an industry through bureaucracy.
Wouldn't a clean facility be a medical standard? As for the video, shouldn't someone be made aware of the risks of a medical procedure? The things you mentioned (suicide, death, infertility) are all possibilities however remote. I haven't seen such a video so I don't know whether to call it "propaganda". Requiring a facility to have licensed practitioners, up to date manuals and a sterilization procedure for instruments is hardly the equivalent of asking a dentist to buy an MRI. And don't tell me about killing industry through bureaucracy, that is a trademark of the progressives.

Quote:
I can't help but notice you're not making any positive or negative claims about whether you think women should be able to obtain abortions. You're sticking to the narrow path of repeating this political soundbite and saying nothing else, much like our infamous governor. If you wish to have an honest discussion about abortion I'm up for that, but I don't have the patience to engage with this kind of trolling.
Because my feelings on abortion are irrelevant to the discussion. Lest I be accused of trolling, hating women or being a racist I'm going to enjoy my 3 day weekend. I hope you enjoy yours as well.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:51 PM

257 posts, read 296,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
same is happeneing down here in FL as well, bunch of northern transplants that basically ruined their old cities with failed democrat policies are fleeing and moving to the south and forcing same failed policies on us
I think the OP is talking about our current state of affairs - with current Gov and current GA that are working hard to dismantle progress made in the past. Also check out:[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...l#post30788800[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 08-02-2013, 06:54 PM

257 posts, read 296,787 times
Quote:
I find it very curious that a conservative suddenly is interested in regulating an industry for the purpose of protecting the 'safety of the customer'. Why this sudden change of heart? I thought the 'free market' would regulate itself and if an abortion facility were unsafe, people would stop going to that one--at least that's what I would *think* a conservative would say if they were ideologically consistent.

Not that I mind this new outlook you have. So I guess since you're gung ho on government intervention now, we can finally agree on gun safety laws, carbon emission reductions, and economic regulations that prevent recessions like the last one?...
touché
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: