Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:04 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,035,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Why don't you read the audit in this forum topic and tell me which findings are acceptable to you:

State shuts down model abortion clinic

Keep in mind this was at the "model" clinic. If the model was this bad how bad do you think other clinics are? Is it worth a look? Should facilities be allowed to degrade to a Kermit Gosnell type facility in NC?
I did - I'm still looking for the casualty and death count from this atrocious clinic that needed to take precedence over doing anything else for the state... while watching other GOP held legislatures in other states doing the same thing - it's blatantly transparent that they want to shut these clinics down above other real pressing matters.

If you can't see this for what it is, that's fine. I'm all for safe healthcare, but ask yourself - why is NC dropping as a quality state to do business in and still seeing rising unemployment. Instead of addressing our pressing needs, the legislation these clowns are working on is all about voting rights, guns, abortion, and religion. Where are the jobs?! They need the audit... not the clinics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 07:20 PM

257 posts, read 295,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
agreed..Dubya will go down as the worst president in American history. He almost indirectly caused an international economic collapse. We are still trying to pull out of the mess he put us in. The NC GOP really pissed people off when they cut off the unemployment benefits. NC is the only state that lost the federal unemployment benefits extensions.
As I see it, at $350/wk for a max of 12-20 weeks = $4,200-$7,000. If someone has been out of work a long time, they have likely exhausted savings etc. Since NC follows the US poverty levels, these folks should be able to get public assistance. Have we just moved the problem under a different label?

US Poverty levels: http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/13poverty.cfm
#persons Poverty guideline
1 $11,490
2 $15,510
3 $19,530
...no sense going above this $ here.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:36 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,283,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I did - I'm still looking for the casualty and death count from this atrocious clinic that needed to take precedence over doing anything else for the state... while watching other GOP held legislatures in other states doing the same thing - it's blatantly transparent that they want to shut these clinics down above other real pressing matters.

If you can't see this for what it is, that's fine. I'm all for safe healthcare, but ask yourself - why is NC dropping as a quality state to do business in and still seeing rising unemployment. Instead of addressing our pressing needs, the legislation these clowns are working on is all about voting rights, guns, abortion, and religion. Where are the jobs?! They need the audit... not the clinics.
Amen, unfortunately the south is already perceived as backwoods and hicks. No state in the south has successfully worked harder to remedy this perception than NC considering we don't have a large major city to attract urbanites. NC did it primarily through the university and community college system to first attract students, then business and industry.

Whether the GOP recognize it or not, the Dems were in control during explosive periods of growth in NC. Plenty of Dems were dirty and unethical, etc, etc. but they provided a centrist platform on social issues and offered a forward thinking progressive public educational system. The word-of-mouth propelled NC to the forefront in growth, people would relocate here (education and industry) and realize it's not all Mayberry, thus pass the word.

As a side note, I don't think some of these people like all the "forn-ners" moving here...wait till they're property values stymie and growth stagnants...actually, I don't think some of them care as long as they can close abortion clinics, carry gun into a bar and make it to the hoe-down Saturday night.

Some people are convinced that cutting taxes is the primary catalyst for growth. Actually, its innovation and technology. During the Reagan years, it was the PC and during Clinton years it was the internet that propelled the economy. NC needs to continue to invest into research and innovative technologies, etc...sadly, it seems the opposite is happening.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 08-02-2013 at 08:48 PM..

Old 08-02-2013, 08:43 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,813,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Ah yes, I remember those horrid years when the state's population grew rapidly and we were considered a model of social and economic progress in the south. Gosh, what tough times those were under democratic rule. Now that our civil liberties and financial security are gone things are so much better.
The same was true of my state of Georgia.In the 90's up until 2000 we had really progressive Governors and leaders that passed the Hope Scholarship,changed our state flag from a Confederate Battle flag,had the first black female Chief justice of the State Supreme Court in the country,plus 2 other blacks Supreme Court justices,under Roy Barnes we were studying the feasibility of a statewide high speed rail and expanding heavy rail to the suburbs of Atlanta.Education was improving but now its stagnant.

There must be some playbook the Republicans are using because it worked in 2 state that have been historically progressive Southern states.

I remember Jesssie Helms in the 90's was an anomaly for NC but today he would fit right in it seems.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:18 PM

257 posts, read 295,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Some general stats here: Passed bills: Abortion Regulation, Jail Co-Pays and Drug Testing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: