Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 03:42 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by country heart View Post
yet if I was laid off from another job I'd qualify go figure
I have heard that being "chronically unemployable" is one condition which will get you approved for disability. Perhaps there is someone in your local government in "women's affairs" or social services who could help you sort out what your options are.

I am coming to agree with Southbound_295 that it might be best to work through your options for getting disability in New Jersey.

However, if you do move in the future, you can find cheaper housing and taxes in North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 04:17 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I have heard that being "chronically unemployable" is one condition which will get you approved for disability. Perhaps there is someone in your local government in "women's affairs" or social services who could help you sort out what your options are.

I am coming to agree with Southbound_295 that it might be best to work through your options for getting disability in New Jersey.

However, if you do move in the future, you can find cheaper housing and taxes in North Carolina.
I heard the same.about chronic unemployment. I checked it out & that is just a rumor. Voc rehab requires a physical disability.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I have started the paperwork in new jersey for disability they said they have to determine first if I'm disables then if I can be retrained or benefit from vocational training. The lawyer I only spoke to said they won't waste the money oncrest or vocational training due to my age yet if I was laid off from another job I'd qualify go figure
Call the voc rehab office & ask them. What the lawyer told you is outright age discrimination.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:28 PM

55 posts, read 87,402 times
Thanks I will call the office tomorrow and get back to you

Old 06-30-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks I will call the office tomorrow and get back to you
You're welcome.
I could see not putting you through college if you had a high school diploma & worked in a warehouse. That isn't the case. You have a degree & need your degree upgraded to stay in your field.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:38 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
I'm backing up to what you said about not being entitled to any of your late husband's social security until YOU reach retirement age, I believe you have received totally wrong information. You need to double check that.

if your husband ever was in the military, there may be a widow's or death benefit. Check into that, too.

You have stated you have 3 great danes, then it became one dane. Which is it?

you have kids. Why aren't they helping you with all of this? If they aren't doing the right thing, then please stop helping them (you've stated you loaned them money for cars, paid for their schooling, etc)

Old 07-01-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm backing up to what you said about not being entitled to any of your late husband's social security until YOU reach retirement age, I believe you have received totally wrong information. You need to double check that.
According to SSA.gov a widow can receive a survivor benefit at age 60: Survivors Planner: Social Security Benefit Amounts For The Surviving Spouse By Year*Of*Birth

I will second the suggestion to check for VA benefits. DH tells me that a widow could receive household help benefits from VA if she is disabled.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:34 AM

I had 3 great Danes and now I have just two one I found in my garage. I will not abandon a animal especially danes. They are my life. My children are grown should they help,yes do they after being asked no. They feel like I should take care of myself. So they have refused to help me. We use to have fights over helping and finally I said just forget it nd they did. As far as veterans he was not a vet. I called social security and he took the maximum amount early in his retirement at 62 so I will only receive partial amount and it is very low especially because mine us actually higher but can't be taken unless I'm 62 then I get deducted. This is what social security has told me. I've asked them for a letter to explain benefits. If I clear the disability challenge I should get the payment if mine with two year wait for Medicare. I would rather work but they told me if I go to school I wouldn't be able to work and they wouldn't let me go into the same field that I'm claiming I'm disabled in. People have told me to get a lawyer but that costs money. My kids grew up loving money and dad has it I wasn't a bad mother. They were raised to put God into their lives and have a work ethic I just never thought I would have to tell them to felt their mother. They are embarrassed by me. Simple it hurts but that's it. I guess that's why my dogs are my best friends because they don't judge. Sorry I'm not as strong emotionally when I have to discuss my children it hurts a great deal. I guess I'll pray and God will have to lead the way. I'll hold on till I can't I have no friends around here my girlfriend moved to calf last year and she's struggling since hrr husband was laid off. My other friends try to listen but their husbands all had great life insurance and.money in the bank mine didn't his death even cost over 7000. Sorry hope that answers your questions

Old 07-01-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
People have told me to get a lawyer but that costs money
......I guess I'll pray and God will have to lead the way.
Some disability lawyers will take you on contingency; that is, you pay only if they win the decision for you. Since I used to work at Social Security, I know that most people win disability decisions only after 2 or 3 tries.

I hope God helps you make the right decisions.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:03 PM

Thanks I have to call upon my faith for guidance as I'm growing very distill about social security. It's like the question chicken and the egg. I can't sell the house without money to live rent to own even if a option seems like I would need a job and no one will hire you in nj or anywhere else unless you live there. I had hope but sometimes it really grows thin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina