Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 06:53 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,930 times

Advertisements

Another Downtown Durham Hotel in the works:
Graduate Commencement | DurhamMag

Quote:
Hospitality and real estate investor team AJ Capital Partners have acquired 600 Willard St., across from University Ford and University Kia near American Tobacco. The currently shuttered property will undergo renovations later this year and open as the Graduate Durham, a 150-room hotel, in late 2016. Graduate Hotels are a new hotel collection targeting university-anchored markets across the country and include locations in Tempe, Ariz.; Athens, Ga.; and Madison, Wis. Additional locations in Charlottesville, Va., and Oxford, Miss., are slated to open this summer.
Earlier this year Boutique hotel 21c Durham and its Counting House restaurant now open in the Hill building downtown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpT60Dq7hlw

Also coming to downtown Durham soon:

Quote:
Newly converted from the iconic, mid-century Home Savings Bank, The Durham Hotel is an intimate 53-room independent hotel in vibrant downtown Durham, North Carolina. With food and drinks by James Beard-award winning chef Andrea Reusing and design by Commune, the restaurant, garden patio and rooftop bar offer one-of-a-kind perspectives of the city and are infused with its energy.The rooftop at the Durham features an ever-changing program of diverse events, including movie screenings, readings, intimate musical performances and more, for guests and locals alike.Complimentary amenities include daily farmer’s market breakfast, 24-hour fitness studio, high speed wifi, bicycle rentals and rooftop yoga.

The Durham also features private dining and flexible meeting spaces for 2-50 with state of the art AV.
On Ninth Street, there is the first phase of Ninth Street North:

Quote:
This project would provide 10,000 square feet of space for shops and restaurants and 222,006 square feet of apartments on about 2.7 acres. The project would be, at its tallest, six stories, but would descend in height heading toward Green Street. It would have an internal parking deck and a dining terrace on Green St. The project is being developed by Glenn Dickson and Charlotte-based Terwilliger Pappas.

Last edited by drrckmtthws; 06-13-2015 at 07:07 PM..

Old 06-13-2015, 07:11 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,930 times
Downtown Wilmington has a lot of things going on as well:

http://www.wilmingtondowntown.com/_f...11.19.2014.pdf

Old 06-13-2015, 08:22 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Another Downtown Durham Hotel in the works:
Graduate Commencement | DurhamMag

Earlier this year Boutique hotel 21c Durham and its Counting House restaurant now open in the Hill building downtown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpT60Dq7hlw

Also coming to downtown Durham soon:

On Ninth Street, there is the first phase of Ninth Street North:
Looks like downtown Durham is having great things going on with a new hotel in the Hill Building.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:13 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Some downtown retail news. Silverfly mens clothing opened up, Anthropologie is underway, BJ's confirmed an opening before Thanksgiving. Publix was officially confirmed, WholeFoods was confirmed a couple months ago. Several other small local clothing stores are opening up on Camden. Crescent partnered up with Collet to lure retailers as tenants with local tenants and tenants such as Nordstrum or Belks.

The populations of SouthEnd and Uptown (Which Uptown, SouthEnd and Midtown are all a seemless single destination) are:

Uptown: 15300
SouthEnd: 7600

The number of apartment units for the 3 downtown neighborhoods:

Uptown: 3100
SouthEnd 2830
Midtown: 1276

Assuming it's 1 new resident per unit and assuming the population of the Midtown portion is zero (which is absolutely isn't) that's a population of 30,000+. Between the 3 it will probably be close to 50,000 by 2020

NoDa and Plaza-Midwood are still the downtown area. Plaza-Midwood directly touches uptown and the development is seemless into uptown and Midtown. NoDa has a tiny gap that is 1/2 mile from really flowing into uptown. But the two of them have over 2,000 apartments under construction.

2.9 million Office is in the works for uptown and around a few hundred thousand between SouthEnd and Midtown.

The Tallest of the office towers are:

Tryon Place - 35 Floors
300 South Tryon - 27 Floors
615 College - 20 floors
1000 South Blvd - 16 Floors of office, 6 floors of parking deck

Around 5 or so ~5 floor office towers are also underway. 300 South Tryon will house 4,000 workers a day. So I'd guess overall, around 13,000 extra workers in addition to the over 100,000 workers in uptown already.

2000 Hotel rooms are also coming uptown. A 42% increase in inventory and the number could go way up, especially if we get a 1,000 room hotel announced which rumors have been swirling. For reference, I'm not sure any city in NC has that many hotel rooms in their downtowns.

It's exciting to me that within 2 miles of Trade/Tryon, the population will be around 70,000 because that means more center city retail and amenities.

Here's a slideshow of all the developments with renderings and such

http://files.charlottecentercity.org...ent-Report.pdf

Old 06-14-2015, 09:34 AM

And someone mentioned SouthPark earlier. It's hard to find a list of developments there but here is a slide show that has some facts about SouthPark:

http://charlottechamber.com/clientup...esentation.pdf

SouthPark is less than 5 miles away from uptown and is the 2nd largest business district in North Carolina only behind Uptown Charlotte with over 5 million Sq. Feet of office space (Not sure how old that information is because SouthPark added several office towers recently)

Some of the more significant developments are the twin office towers that are wrapping up Lincoln Harris planning two 10-story buildings in SouthPark - Charlotte Business Journal

Eli from the Observer has a nice Summary of overall development that is currently going on:

SouthPark

2 office towers, 2 major mixed use projects and 2,300 Apartment units under construction.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:54 AM

545 posts, read 594,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Downtown Wilmington has a lot of things going on as well:

http://www.wilmingtondowntown.com/_f...11.19.2014.pdf
Thanks for this posting!! It's good to see that Port City is undergoing a lot of development in the downtown area!

Old 06-14-2015, 04:59 PM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
BJ's wholesale club store?

Old 06-14-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
BJ's wholesale club store?

unfortunately

Old 06-15-2015, 07:42 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Some downtown retail news. Silverfly mens clothing opened up, Anthropologie is underway, BJ's confirmed an opening before Thanksgiving. Publix was officially confirmed, WholeFoods was confirmed a couple months ago. Several other small local clothing stores are opening up on Camden.
I'm really surprised it took as long as it did for Charlotte to get its first Whole Foods. Didn't it just open up in the last 3 or 4 years? The Triangle has had many, for geez, 20-30 years or more.

I'm guessing that this is just a new branch of Anthropologie? I'm so not a shopper, but that seems like a Charlotte store. I forget if it's Anthropologie or Abercrombie that spritzes their clothes with scent. Had to go out to Southpoint mall the other week to shop for clothes for my teen to wear to a wedding and the stores just reeked. She wouldn't set foot in either one. She's not much of a shopper, either.

There's a bunch of new development in the works in Chapel Hill. Hard to keep up with it all and folks aren't happy about all of it. Lots of letters to the editor today about Obey Creek development. The University is tearing down University Square this summer and building Carolina Square which will have a performing arts space and incubator among other things (http://www.heraldsun.com/news/showca...-arts-facility). In other developments, Village Plaza Apartments will go in between Whole Foods and the ABC store on Elliott Rd. They're working on MLK and Weaver Dairy. There's a proposal for a 10 story development on Rosemary Street near Breadmen's. They're tearing up dirt right an left around here.

Last edited by poppydog; 06-15-2015 at 08:11 AM..

Old 06-15-2015, 08:02 AM

W
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'm really surprised it took as long as it did for Charlotte to get its first Whole Foods. Didn't it just open up in the last 3 or 4 years? The Triangle has had many, for geez, 20-30 years or more.

I'm guessing that this is just a new branch of Anthropologie? I'm so not a shopper, but that seems like a Charlotte store. I forget if it's Anthropologie or Abercrombie that spritzes their clothes with scent. Had to go out to Southpoint mall the other week to shop for clothes for my teen to wear to a wedding and the stores just reeked. She wouldn't set foot in either one. She's not much of a shopper, either.

Silverfly? It's a local men's sporty clothing store. All of the clothing stores, food places, furniture stores, lighting stores on Camden are local. UPS comes to mind as a non local. Anthropologie will be the first, but they have an urban model and have been adding stores to many downtowns, the closest to us being Greenville and I think Columbia

Yeah, I'm not sure what took so long but they're building several and you have your others like Earth Fare, Fresh Market. Though I personally don't shop at those stores much, I just think having a huge flagship store uptown will provide another amenity for center city residents.

The grocery store market is pretty standard in both markets. Triangle
http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...stores-by.html

charlotte
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...e17232803.html

(can't find one for Triad but I bet it's the same as here & Triangle with Walmart, Food Lion, Harris Teeter dominating)

It may not be exciting for people who don't live here, but things like the Mecklenburg Aquatic Center, Main Branch Library, planned regional Recreation Center, Veterinarians, Publix, Harris Teeter, new grade schools, new high school are some of the most important projects in my opinion that create a sense of community and not just a place people go to do get coffee at an eclectic place then retreat to their suburbs.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 06-15-2015 at 08:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina