Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 06:22 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times

Advertisements

How big is the News & Observer site?

Old 12-22-2015, 06:25 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
How big is the News & Observer site?
3 acres.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:38 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,444,137 times
Two new cranes join uptown skyline; what are they building? | The Charlotte Observer

Here are the newest cranes uptown:

▪ 615 South College Street: Portman Holdings is building a 19-story office tower atop the parking garage next to the Westin. The project is speculative, meaning no tenants have been signed yet. Atlanta-based Portman broke ground in August on the tower, which is expected to be complete in early 2017.

▪ EpiCentre hotel: Vision Ventures and McKibbon Hotel Group are partnering to build a 22-story hotel tower atop the EpiCentre, a site that was planned to be condos before the recession. Work started in November on the project, which will be 300 rooms split between an AC Hotel by Marriott and a Residence Inn.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:40 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,322,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Please stop!!!! You made a claim that you certainly can't prove. Why,because it's not true or possible. But if you want to continue to make a fool of yourself. Have at it! Do us a favor stop making ridiculous claims. Charlotte is a awesome city. Growing at a ridiculous pace. But there is no way uptown has more development going on than the entire Triangle. You put your foot in your mouth,as usual. Move on while you're ahead!!!!
I'm not sure what is so difficult for you to comprehend. You compiled a list of the major projects happening in Raleigh and Durham, which was significantly shorter than the list I compiled of the major projects happening in Charlotte's four wards. It really isn't something to get that upset over - it isn't my fault there is substantially less development in the Triangle than in Uptown Charlotte.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:43 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
The Charlotte Observer site is 9.4 acres and sold for 45.3 Million.
The News and Observer site is 3 acres and sold for20.2 Million
The pension fund is bring in the money.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:11 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,444,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
I'm not sure what is so difficult for you to comprehend. You compiled a list of the major projects happening in Raleigh and Durham, which was significantly shorter than the list I compiled of the major projects happening in Charlotte's four wards. It really isn't something to get that upset over - it isn't my fault there is substantially less development in the Triangle than in Uptown Charlotte.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:38 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
This goes for all construction in all the cities of NC.

Built to last? Apartment boom raises questions

Take a drive around Charlotte, and you can see that 2015 has been the Year of the Apartment.

New units are rising at a record pace: More than 12,300 are under construction, and even more are planned. Many are in mid-rise, wood-framed buildings at prominent intersections, sometimes directly across from each other, in trendy neighborhoods such as South End, Plaza Midwood and Dilworth

Read more here: Built to last? Apartment boom raises questions | The Charlotte Observer
This is pretty typical right now. In Wilmington (city limits) there are at least five major Apt complexes under construction (about 1,800 units). These two were just completed...

One Midtown Apartments

City Block Apartments | Downtown Wilmington NC

And two other long term developments are underway on the Southside that will eventually house 1,700 units and 1,400 units. And this is a city limits of about 110K...so that is a substantial amount of apartments to absorb with only one of the complexes being primarily student housing.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:47 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
I left a few big developments off.It was an update. Not a complete list. Raleigh Union Station for one. Btw I didn't notice a new train station on your list? Excuse me transit hub. Oh well, maybe you can add that to your list one day

Old 12-22-2015, 08:14 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I left a few big developments off.It was an update. Not a complete list. Raleigh Union Station for one. Btw I didn't notice a new train station on your list? Excuse me transit hub. Oh well, maybe you can add that to your list one day

Actually he could've added it a few weeks ago. Renderings aren't out yet but it will be under construction within 18 months. It's not the full blown Transit hub, just will service Amtrak & the Gold Line primarily at first. The current Amtrak station is the most repulsive station ever in the worst area in the state

Old 12-22-2015, 10:14 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Forgot to link source.

The new Amtrak station will cost 53 million Charlotte to move Amtrak station uptown with federal grant | The Charlotte Observer

Late October Secretary Foxx announced Gateway station was awarded a 25 million dollar grant. The facility will be "temporary" but it will still be very nice. (Perks of having your former mayor as the secretary of Transportation?)

For comparison, Phase I of Union Station is marked at 44.7 million but is 10 million over budget putting it around the same budget as the phase I of Gateway (which I am wouldn't be surprised if they end up just keeping the facility they will build). The only reason I'm comparing cost is to give an idea of the scope despite it being "temporary"

Raleigh

This is what the local media and CATS has been showing: http://www.littleonline.com/uploads/...m-ballpark.jpg This is what Little and Bank of America had planned but Hines won the awards and pulled out back in 2012. The "temporary" station will probably look very similar to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina