Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 09:57 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,008,461 times

Advertisements

Another thing to like is that in the past two years North Carolina moved from the 37th best schools in the country to 19th: https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-schools/5335/

Quite an improvement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 11:36 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,388,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
According to Forbes, NC is the #2 best state for business.

Forbes Welcome
Big deal. That and $4 will get you a skinny latte at Starbucks. Plus, NC has ranked in the top 5 in that same survey for at least a decade, so there's nothing new there, and the current administration hasn't had a hand in changing our ranking. At best, they haven't completely screwed it up. Yet. And if you'll notice, NC ranks high on cost and availability of labor, and low on "economic Climate". Which means our success is the product of high unemployment (and underemployment) and lots of in-migration. Eventually, those factors will wane.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:08 PM

530 posts, read 638,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aylinap View Post

Also, I moved from Durham to Mebane to get away from the gloominess there
I'm very curious what you consider to be the gloominess of Durham? Durham is the second fastest growing city in NC right now and it's downtown is coming along like gangbusters. I'm curious how you would describe it as gloomy.

I am also very confused at your transplant complaint if you lived in Durham. Durham has so many damn transplants I just can't imagine how that was an issue. In my social circle there is no one that is even from the area.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:56 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,412,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
This guy gets it. Y'all fled the North for a reason, do you really want to bring the same bad policies here? There are a lot of less conservative, less business-friendly states you can move to.

So, you can probably tell what I dislike My "likes" include, but are not limited to:

The culture: Sports, NASCAR, universities, history, diversity, big families, small communities, strong values, military bases, low taxes, RTP, SAS, Billy Graham, Rev. Barber, Moral Mondays, Jesse Helms, Howard Coble, Right-to-Work, The Avett Brothers, James Taylor and Andy Griffith

The food: Food trucks, craft beer, sweet tea, farmer's markets, Krispy Kreme, Pepsi, Cheerwine, Hardee's and Lexington Barbecue (can you tell I'm hungry?)

The nature: Outer Banks, Blue Ridge Mountains, parks, greenways, lakes, waterfalls, whitewater, fishing and camping

The built environment: Barns, brick, boats, furniture, textiles, lighthouses, solar farms, Carowinds, US Whitewater Center, Hunt Library, Biltmore Estate, Tweetsie Railroad, Raleigh, Charlotte, Wilmington and Asheville
You could not have put it any better, would just love to see more land set aside for nature reserves.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:04 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,527,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aylinap View Post
I was curious to know what people dislike and like about the area they live in and the overall region? I live in Mebane. I would say for myself:

2. There are developments and construction happening everywhere.

3. Biscuits and best BBQ.

4. Nice lakes..and nice beaches to see..and even luckier if you live near them.

5. A lot of places to choose for shopping.

Dislikes

1. Developments are VERY slow..compared to other towns and cities in the US. None of the major cities will ever be anything close to cities such as Miami, Austin, NYC, Boston, ect

2. Most natives are judgmental of you. If you moved from the the "North" they will treat you differently.

3. Barely any high rise buildings even in the major cities such as Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, ect compared to other major cities in the US.

4. I noticed most houses are only single floor...I understand that makes for a "cheaper" home but just why???

5. If you live in the Triangle or the Piedmont Traid region you're about 3 hours away from the mountains and 3 hours away from a beach.

6. Barely any restaurants that deliver..except maybe if you live in Charlotte.

7. TWC is basically a monopoly....
I agree with much of what you're saying. I know much of what's on here is subjective and of personal experiences. I do realize that you don't want a debate. I really do. I just think some of what you said was pretty off.......I've been to every city you mentioned, and at the very least, Charlotte is up there with all of them in terms of development. Go to charlottestories.com and you'll see.......EVERYONE is "judgmental". 100% of all people. We all make lots of judgments many times a day. It's a very misunderstood, misused, and overused word. But I think I know specifically what you're talking about. I'm native to metro Charlotte and my wife is from Boston. It's untrue and unfair to say "most" natives are "judgmental" (at least in the way you're implying it). True, there are a few, especially old-timers, who have this anti "Yankee" attitude (which is stupid), but most don't. BUT, there are many cases where some who move here are very "judgmental" and stereotyping of us in many ways. It can work both ways. It's rude and insulting to move somewhere and try to "change" or "teach" the natives the "way we did it in ____". If I moved to NY, CO, MA, Germany, or wherever, that wouldn't fly at all; and rightfully so. I am to assimilate and be respectful. If there is a region of the nation that gets "judged" and stereotyped like crazy, it's the South. TV, movies; even city-date. Several posts I've seen on the U.S. page of some who are looking to move to the South ask things like, "is this state racist?". Do they as that question of other regions? Nope. One guy from NY actually posted that schools in South teach from a very pro-civil war/slavery mindset, which is an out-n-out lie. It's taught from a historical standpoint and in a way that we should never allow something so horrible to happen again......Saying Charlotte has hardly any high rise buildings simply leaves me speechless. Many high rises. Is it NYC or CHI? No, but hardly any other big city is. It has one of the most beautiful skylines in the nation. The downtown is very urban and the skyline speaks for itself........There are actually more 2-story homes in NC than single story........I'm not sure where you live, but here in Gastonia, there are enough restaurants that deliver that it's not an issue. I guess that can vary from town to town........Having said all that, I am in total agreement with the other negatives you mentioned. We just canceled our cable and changed to a digital antenna because TWC is such a racket. Total monopoly!!!........I live in the Western Piedmont and I do wish the mountains and beaches were closer (for us, mnts 1hr 15 min., bch 3.5hrs).........Thanks for being patient with my post!

Old 08-04-2016, 08:36 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,719,018 times
I don't live there anymore, but here are my thoughts.

Likes: Close to the beach and mountains. The location is also good because you aren't too far from most cities on the East Coast. I also think the state has a nice mix of things to do and see compared to some other surrounding states.

Dislikes: The reason I left is because there are too many people moving to the state. It drives costs up, yet wages remain the same. I don't have anything against Northerners, but the more that arrive, the more it changes the dynamic of the state. Some northerners have a different personality and attitude that can clash with Southerners. I remember when Raleigh felt sort of like Columbia, SC. I visit once a year to see family and things change so much in one year! I barely recognize some of the areas I used to go to.

I lived in rural Eastern NC for a while and although I am a NC native, I felt like an outsider. I was called a city boy from Wake County and some lady (while I was cashiering at Food Lion in Winterville) even called me a Yankee because I don't have a Southern accent. Couldn't wait to get out of there! I lived in several places in Missouri and Iowa, and now live in Texas and was/am never treated differently. If anything, people are happy to see someone from another place.

The schools are not great. I went to school to become a teacher and this was the main reason I moved to Missouri. Better schools with more support for teachers!

Old 08-04-2016, 12:28 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,503,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
North Carolina schools are ranked 19th nationally, noting extremely high safety and lack of bullying (except on City Data )

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...#main-findings
I feel like a guy wearing an oversized jacket and slacks with question marks on them made this list.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:40 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
I like my one story home that we have lived in for 40 years. The only steps I have to deal with are the steps to go to my front walk and my patio and my garage. I get inside and everything is on the same level. Ask your local fire department about being upstairs if a fire should happen in your home. We have never had a snow high enough to need to have a second story to escape. We have enough land to build on one level so no need to build up where tornadoes are more likely to destroy the home. Close to the ground is better all around.

I like my town, neighbors, church, friends and representatives except an attorney general that doesn't seem to think white people should have any rights. We should have the right to know the person voting is who that person says they are because that person needs to show a pictured I. D. Looking forward to the day we are out of the dark ages with that.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:01 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,719,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
That was enacted by Terry Sanford in the early sixties in order to improve the schools except it was soon taken from the schools by the same democrats that enacted it. We have Governor McCrory now because the person before him robbed this little education kitty to pay other state bills.

That's also why any time we are asked to vote any more taxes for the schools I vote against them because I know it is a lie. It is a way to charge higher taxes so they can later use them for another reason. If all our food taxes were used for the schools, we would have the best schools in the country.

Our lottery is supposed to be for schools too. How is that going? I am asking because I really don't know. Imagine if our schools got all the lottery money and all the food taxes!
Same thing with tolls. You always hear "we'll remove the tolls once the highway is paid for". Let's face it, the tolls are never going away because when it comes closer to removal time, some new funding will be needed.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:04 PM

190 posts, read 167,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I like my town, neighbors, church, friends and representatives except an attorney general that doesn't seem to think white people should have any rights. We should have the right to know the person voting is who that person says they are because that person needs to show a pictured I. D. Looking forward to the day we are out of the dark ages with that.
"dark ages" - that's a good one! real subtle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina