Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:16 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,980,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I think many NC natives dislike Northerners not because they are from the North, but because they have completely changed the dynamic of the state. Southerners, especially older ones REALLY dislike change, traffic, and fast-paced lifestyle. I feel really bad for a lot of natives because they have been priced out of their own city/area.

My grandparents live in an older area of North Raleigh which is growing, but fairly slowly. The value of their home has been increasing, but they would be hard pressed to find anything else in Raleigh in their price range.

My parents had the same problem. They sold their house in North Raleigh because they wanted something a little newer, but around the same size. They were forced to buy a home in Angier because most newer homes in Raleigh, Cary, and Apex were a minimum of $300,000.

Don't even get me started on the roads and schools. The state hasn't been doing a great job of keeping up with the growth. I moved to Fort Worth, TX a few months ago and this area has been doing a great job of keeping up with the population boom.
dont forget the huge amount of prejudice and disrespect transplants can blast around about natives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 01:16 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,719,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
dont forget the huge amount of prejudice and disrespect transplants can blast around about natives
I've never experienced it, but that doesn't mean it has never happened. I've heard of yankees making dumb southerner jokes and constantly comparing things to up north.

Why even move elsewhere if you aren't going to have an open mind?

Yes, pizza is better in NY. But the cost of living is astronomical, taxes are high, and the weather sucks for half the year. Obviously New Yorkers realize this too otherwise they wouldn't be leaving the state in droves.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:21 AM

224 posts, read 286,245 times
Quote:
I've never experienced it, but that doesn't mean it has never happened. I've heard of yankees making dumb southerner jokes and constantly comparing things to up north.

Why even move elsewhere if you aren't going to have an open mind?

Yes, pizza is better in NY. But the cost of living is astronomical, taxes are high, and the weather sucks for half the year. Obviously New Yorkers realize this too otherwise they wouldn't be leaving the state in droves.
I came here with an open mind and I'm from NY...at first I loved NC but then not much.

Pizza and bagels. �� However, I have to disagree with you about the weather. It may not snow as much in NC, but when it gets cold the ice everywhere is terrible..NY's summers aren't that much different from NC's, but there are less thunderstorms there. That said everywhere has its ups and downs. It's NY's taxes and high expenses...but otherwise if it were affordable it would be a good place to live in the long run.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:39 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,719,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aylinap View Post
I came here with an open mind and I'm from NY...at first I loved NC but then not much.

Pizza and bagels. �� However, I have to disagree with you about the weather. It may not snow as much in NC, but when it gets cold the ice everywhere is terrible..NY's summers aren't that much different from NC's, but there are less thunderstorms there. That said everywhere has its ups and downs. It's NY's taxes and high expenses...but otherwise if it were affordable it would be a good place to live in the long run.
I agree with you about the weather. People seem to love NC weather, but I find it super hot in the summer, and fairly cold and wet in the winter. Yes, it's not Minnesota cold, but it's cold enough to be annoying.

I lived in the Midwest for several years after leaving NC and actually preferred Midwest weather. The summers were slightly more mild. By the time labor day rolled around, most of the heat was gone. Winters were rough, but I don't mind the cold. At least we didn't have the ice.

Texas has been my home for a few months and although I hate the heat, I think the winter will be nice. Highs here can be up to the 40s and 50s which is quite a bit warmer than NC.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:33 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,354,425 times
I think the pizza argument is silly. There are plenty of NY and Chicago transplants down south serving real pizza. This was my slice from a place in Charlotte's Noda neighborhood. This slice had to be folded in order to pick it up.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:46 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,281,903 times
Quote:
I agree with you about the weather. People seem to love NC weather, but I find it super hot in the summer, and fairly cold and wet in the winter. Yes, it's not Minnesota cold, but it's cold enough to be annoying.

I lived in the Midwest for several years after leaving NC and actually preferred Midwest weather. The summers were slightly more mild. By the time labor day rolled around, most of the heat was gone. Winters were rough, but I don't mind the cold. At least we didn't have the ice.

Texas has been my home for a few months and although I hate the heat, I think the winter will be nice. Highs here can be up to the 40s and 50s which is quite a bit warmer than NC.
NC is a fairly elongated state with a varying topology. The metros near the SC border (Charlotte, Fayetteville, Wilmington, etc) aren't going to get much snow, ice, etc. The Central and NW Piedmont (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, etc) are going to be a bit cooler and usually get a more snow/ice, etc. And RDU is a mixed bag of things.

I find it a bit annoying when people complain about weather/nature anywhere. No matter where, you are going to have to deal with significant periods of either snow/ice/dry/fire/humidity/heat/mudslides/hurricanes/rain/potholes/tornados, etc. Personally, I prefer the Southeast, especially in the Piedmont area of NC that gives you a dose of all four seasons. I've lived and travel all over the US and NC's climate, topology, location is as good as any you'll find in most places...the caveat is SoCal, aside from earthquakes and the occasional rainy season, that's about as good as it gets on earth if you don't like rain/snow/ice/heat/humidity.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:56 AM

9 posts, read 6,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
NC is a fairly elongated state with a varying topology. The metros near the SC border (Charlotte, Fayetteville, Wilmington, etc) aren't going to get much snow, ice, etc. The Central and NW Piedmont (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, etc) are going to be a bit cooler and usually get a more snow/ice, etc. And RDU is a mixed bag of things.

I find it a bit annoying when people complain about weather/nature anywhere. No matter where, you are going to have to deal with significant periods of either snow/ice/dry/fire/humidity/heat/mudslides/hurricanes/rain/potholes/tornados, etc. Personally, I prefer the Southeast, especially in the Piedmont area of NC that gives you a dose of all four seasons. I've lived and travel all over the US and NC's climate, topology, location is as good as any you'll find in most places...the caveat is SoCal, aside from earthquakes and the occasional rainy season, that's about as good as it gets on earth if you don't like rain/snow/ice/heat/humidity.
In SoCal, don't forget about the fires as well. When those start up, they can be especially dangerous even more so when accompanied by the Santa Anna winds.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylinap View Post

Most metros in NC don't have excess heavy snow or ice equipment for a reason, even after a typical snow or ice event (which are rare and short) in Jan/Feb (outside of the NW Piedmont and Mountains) it's usually gone within a day or so with daily highs in upper 40s or low 50s. I play golf all year round, plenty of golfable and outdoor activity days in Jan/Feb in NC. Plenty more ups than downs to me, especially compared to the Midwest or NE weather related but that's a matter of preference.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
In SoCal, don't forget about the fires as well. When those start up, they can be especially dangerous even more so when accompanied by the Santa Anna winds.
That was the point, "as about as good as it gets"...

Old 08-30-2016, 12:46 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,008,461 times
It's funny, I often hear NC compared to the northeast and other southern states, but rarely to SoCal. Seems like that area is the ideal for lot of people. For people that have experienced both, is there anything you prefer about NC over California?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina