Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 01:06 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Same thing with tolls. You always hear "we'll remove the tolls once the highway is paid for". Let's face it, the tolls are never going away because when it comes closer to removal time, some new funding will be needed.
The tolls on I-95 in Virginia are gone from Petersburg through Richmond. We used to have to save up our quarters to drive through there. Laws can be made so they have to be removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 01:09 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf1958 View Post
"dark ages" - that's a good one! real subtle.
LOL. Was not intended. I was thinking of being behind of the times in history. I consider abortion to be something from the dark ages too. Abortion is a totally barbaric act. We have all these different methods of birth control and it is still necessary to brutally murder a fetus??

Old 08-04-2016, 01:22 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,924 times
Thought of another thing I like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
This guy gets it. Y'all fled the North for a reason, do you really want to bring the same bad policies here? There are a lot of less conservative, less business-friendly states you can move to.

So, you can probably tell what I dislike My "likes" include, but are not limited to:

The culture: Sports, NASCAR, universities, history, diversity, big families, small communities, strong values, military bases, low taxes, RTP, SAS, Billy Graham, Rev. Barber, Moral Mondays, Jesse Helms, Howard Coble, Right-to-Work, The Avett Brothers, James Taylor and Andy Griffith

The food: Food trucks, craft beer, sweet tea, farmer's markets, Krispy Kreme, Pepsi, Cheerwine, Hardee's and Lexington Barbecue (can you tell I'm hungry?)

The nature: Outer Banks, Blue Ridge Mountains, parks, greenways, lakes, waterfalls, whitewater, fishing and camping, 4 distinct seasons

The built environment: Barns, brick, boats, furniture, textiles, lighthouses, solar farms, Carowinds, US Whitewater Center, Hunt Library, Biltmore Estate, Tweetsie Railroad, Raleigh, Charlotte, Wilmington and Asheville

Old 08-06-2016, 10:30 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Time for the ignore button!

Old 08-07-2016, 12:37 PM

224 posts, read 286,073 times
Um..Back to what you like and dislike about NC...

Old 08-07-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I find your lectures to be tedious.
Dislike: When northerners move here to escape oppressive economic policy, yet attempt to institute the same failed ideology here.

Like: When they get pwned for it. Thanks, ChocoTaco369!

Old 08-07-2016, 07:09 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
I LOVE so much here!!!!! Coming from Texas I love the weather, mountains, waterfalls, and people. Sometimes shopping is challenging. Food cost more than I'm used to, but I'm learning how to adjust, over all the likes dislikes are worth it to live in this beautiful place I love.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:26 PM

Things I like about North Carolina (updated):

The culture: Sports, NASCAR, universities, history, diversity, big families, small communities, strong values, military bases, low taxes, RTP, SAS, Billy Graham, Rev. Barber, Moral Mondays, Jesse Helms, Howard Coble, Right-to-Work, The Avett Brothers, James Taylor and Andy Griffith

The food: Food trucks, craft beer, sweet tea, farmer's markets, Krispy Kreme, Pepsi, Cheerwine, Bojangle's, Hardee's and Lexington Barbecue (can you tell I'm hungry?)

The nature: Outer Banks, Blue Ridge Mountains, parks, greenways, lakes, waterfalls, whitewater, fishing, camping, four distinct seasons

The built environment: Barns, brick, boats, furniture, textiles, lighthouses, solar farms, Carowinds, US Whitewater Center, Hunt Library, Biltmore Estate, Tweetsie Railroad, Raleigh, Charlotte, Wilmington and Asheville

Last edited by vulfpeck; 08-08-2016 at 02:53 PM..

Old 08-14-2016, 04:20 PM

7 posts, read 6,960 times
Post My Likes/Dislikes

Having Mountains, City, And Beach All In The Same State.
Beautiful Views in the Autumn
A Good Amount Of Snow (About 2 or 3 Inches Normally)
Shopping (In Some Areas)
Eating (In Some Areas)
Having A Unique History
Having Several Of The Best College Teams In The Nation
Being One Of The Most Medically Advanced States
Having Several Of The Top Universities
Strangers Say "Hi, How Are Ya?"
Having 3 Professional Sports Teams

DISLIKES:
Traffic
Lack Of Development In Some Rural Areas
Lack Of An MLB Team
Lower Minimum Wage
SOOOO Liberal... Asheville, I'm talking about you!

-Basically, there are several small complaints, but living here really is great! Probably more on both sides, but here are just a few.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:07 AM

233 posts, read 243,540 times

Diverse Landscape
2 Major Cities development
Highways
BBQ
Rural Women

DISLIKE

Neglected Eastern NC
The Politricks of the Eastern NC
Retirees from North and South that become NIMBYs to all Eastern NC development (I wish they were confine to a smaller region of NC like New Bern or some other sleepy area)
Lack of transit (Seriously what is taking so long for the Triangle to get light rail?)
No Serious coastal city (Wilmington is a joke compared to Savannah/Newport News/Charleston & the retiree NIMBYs do whatever it takes to keep the place from growing at a rate it should)
That Wilmington is a retiree haven. I wish they would go somewhere else
That Fayetteville doesn't have a News Channel of their own (WRAL5, NCN17, and WTVD11 all suck. All they do is give Fayetteville 10 mins of news coverage and most of it is negative. Rest of the 1hr20mins is Raleigh-Durham/Chapel Hill news *New flash Fayetteville is not part of the Triangle*)
GTP... Why did they waste that infrastructure on Kinston if anywhere that GTP should had went to Fayetteville where this would had better results from the existing infrastructure and I-95 goes right through the city!)
Quad-East Highway project... Another stupid project because these 4 cities/counties can't come to grip that only one city will truly see major growth in the region and it should be Greenville (It has all the amenities needed and the other 3 counties should just encourage Greenville/Pitt County to be the best for the region and hope 50 yrs from now growth spills over into their counties)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina