Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 03:49 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,479,388 times

Advertisements

With parts of NC still underwater, I wonder if Pat McCrory still thinks that spending some of those resources on HB2 were a good thing.

The man can say that he respectfully disagrees all he wants, but the way in which the Facilities Privacy and Security act was crafted says otherwise. I question if it was even cognizant of the other side.

Pat McCrory can complain about getting the finger by others, but he gave the LGBT community a big fat finger when he signed that reprehensible piece of legislation into law.

He could've just vetoed the damn thing, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 07:18 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,437,629 times
You don't treat entire groups of people with such dehumanizing disrespect and bigotry and expect not to receive negative repercussions. I'm glad bigotry makes one a social outcast.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:11 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,897,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
maybe y'all should read the article that's linked. it's pretty even-handed - all things considered.

bigot: a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

under the definition of intolerant, who falls within?
Well, sure, we can all be intolerant. I'll be the first to admit I'm intolerant of people who put their own profit/benefit above the good of their constituency and/or the letter and intent of the law.

The HB2 legislation is not just about an LGBT issue. They are attempting to block due process. It WILL be overturned in a court eventually. It can't not be overturned, because it has elements that are unconstitutional. Then we will have spent MILLIONS of dollars in this state trying to overturn something that anyone with any understanding of the law should identify as being a poorly crafted piece of legislation. And lost MILLIONS Of dollars in revenue in the meantime. All because someone can't say "You know, maybe we need to re think this and decide what we are truly trying to accomplish here".

So yeah, some of us are intolerant. But Being tolerant doesn't mean you don't speak up when you have a differing opinion on something truly important. It doesn't mean you allow someone to bully you.

(Btw, some of us are mad at McCrory about other things as well. Coal ash and fracking come to mind. I'm not supposed to be 'tolerant' about poisoning our water supply because it will make me a bigger person, am i?)

Old 10-17-2016, 03:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

Cooper isn't exactly a bolt of lightning, but he can man the veto stamp. That's why I voted for Dalton, last time.

I want to throw up when I see his ads about all of the jobs that he's brought in. I think that Wal-Mart is about built out for now.

We hadn't had any more interest in data centers in Kings Mountain, since Bev left & then I saw that Boeing was coming. 2 weeks later HB2 came into being. Scratch that.

In 4 years he showed up to announce 1 project. . .a Chinese-owned mill.
You should clarify who you mean by "his", since you say Cooper and then talk about McCrory.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:41 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
With parts of NC still underwater, I wonder if Pat McCrory still thinks that spending some of those resources on HB2 were a good thing.

The man can say that he respectfully disagrees all he wants, but the way in which the Facilities Privacy and Security act was crafted says otherwise. I question if it was even cognizant of the other side.

Pat McCrory can complain about getting the finger by others, but he gave the LGBT community a big fat finger when he signed that reprehensible piece of legislation into law.

He could've just vetoed the damn thing, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
I remember the first press conference he had right after signing it, and based on some public stumbles he made when asked about specific line-items, it was pretty clear he had not even read the whole thing before signing it. Remember, it was whizzed through in a day. the Legislative GOP have gotten so full of themselves, they didn't even expect any resistance, never mind scrutiny.

My personal feeling is that McCrory was made the sacrificial lamb over this, which he was led my the nose into signing and once he stuck up for it, has had to dig in his heels. Once he efven said there is a part of it he "probably wouldn't have put in there" (Hello, you have a line-item veto). I loathe the man and the gubernatorial race is #1 on my list of importance and where I'm putting my energy, but I do think he is just a puppet of Berger and Moore (and Art Pope). That said, I will be camped out by the Governor's mansion the day he moves out!

Old 10-17-2016, 05:18 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You should clarify who you mean by "his", since you say Cooper and then talk about McCrory.
McCrory runs ads bragging about all of the jobs that he's brought in.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I remember the first press conference he had right after signing it, and based on some public stumbles he made when asked about specific line-items, it was pretty clear he had not even read the whole thing before signing it. Remember, it was whizzed through in a day. the Legislative GOP have gotten so full of themselves, they didn't even expect any resistance, never mind scrutiny.

My personal feeling is that McCrory was made the sacrificial lamb over this, which he was led my the nose into signing and once he stuck up for it, has had to dig in his heels. Once he efven said there is a part of it he "probably wouldn't have put in there" (Hello, you have a line-item veto). I loathe the man and the gubernatorial race is #1 on my list of importance and where I'm putting my energy, but I do think he is just a puppet of Berger and Moore (and Art Pope). That said, I will be camped out by the Governor's mansion the day he moves out!
I think that HB2 is as much revenge aimed at McCrory as anything else.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:00 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,479,388 times
Quote:
I remember the first press conference he had right after signing it, and based on some public stumbles he made when asked about specific line-items, [b]it was pretty clear he had not even read the whole thing before signing it. Remember, it was whizzed through in a day. the Legislative GOP have gotten so full of themselves, they didn't even expect any resistance, never mind scrutiny.
This is exactly what I was implying when I meant that HB2 isn't a respectful disagreement. There were people who had complained about the harmful effects of this bill before he signed it into law, but he didn't take any of that into account when he signed it.

Quote:
My personal feeling is that McCrory was made the sacrificial lamb over this, which he was led by the nose into signing and once he stuck up for it, has had to dig in his heels. Once he efven said there is a part of it he "probably wouldn't have put in there" (Hello, you have a line-item veto). I loathe the man and the gubernatorial race is #1 on my list of importance and where I'm putting my energy, but I do think he is just a puppet of Berger and Moore (and Art Pope). That said, I will be camped out by the Governor's mansion the day he moves out!
I agree.

McCrory isn't the only one that needs to leave. I wish Phil Berger and Tim Moore would get formidable opponents so they can leave too. They were just as responsible (if not more) for this bill, and I don't believe either of them should give a pass.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:12 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,832,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
I wish Phil Berger and Tim Moore would get formidable opponents so they can leave too. They were just as responsible (if not more) for this bill, and I don't believe either of them should give a pass.
Didn't Buck Newton have a heavy hand in it also?

Old 10-18-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Didn't Buck Newton have a heavy hand in it also?
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina