Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 07:58 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Sugar kills more Americans than tobacco. Good luck regulating it as heavily as smoking already is
In most cases, eating a candy bar doesn't affect the health of the people sitting next to you at the bus stop. Smoking does.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Sugar kills more Americans than tobacco. Good luck regulating it as heavily as smoking already is
It's time to put a tax on soda and other sugary products! Let NC take the lead instead of dragging along on its increasingly fat rear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 06:11 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
A better approach would be for the government to throttle its insatiable appetite for trying to micromanage peoples' lives. That's sorta the idea behind the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, lest we forget.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:23 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
A better approach would be for the government to throttle its insatiable appetite for trying to micromanage peoples' lives. That's sorta the idea behind the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, lest we forget.
I guess then you'll have no problem having your taxes increased, so all of those people on Medicare and Medicaid can get those diabetic supplies and the overweight lady can have her "Little Rascal" (available at little or no cost! ) dragging her oxygen bottle around on the back of it, while riding around Walmart. They'll be grateful for all of your financial support! You can pay my share as well!

Old 10-28-2016, 09:32 PM

88 posts, read 55,937 times
If we slowly wean the poor off the tit of the government and have retirees plan in advance for medical expenses, we'll get rid of this problem for the most part.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I guess then you'll have no problem having your taxes increased, so all of those people on Medicare and Medicaid can get those diabetic supplies and the overweight lady can have her "Little Rascal" (available at little or no cost! ) dragging her oxygen bottle around on the back of it, while riding around Walmart. They'll be grateful for all of your financial support! You can pay my share as well!
Your eminence the emissary, if you are worried about taxes and paying for things, your plate is full and overflowing in super abundance with other issues besides restricting the use of sugar. Should the consumption of sausage biscuits be restricted too? So I guess the natural course would be for the government to ration calories and tell you how to allocate them? Phooey!

Old 10-29-2016, 01:48 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Your eminence the emissary, if you are worried about taxes and paying for things, your plate is full and overflowing in super abundance with other issues besides restricting the use of sugar. Should the consumption of sausage biscuits be restricted too? So I guess the natural course would be for the government to ration calories and tell you how to allocate them? Phooey!
When people's sausage biscuits start polluting the air in my immediate vicinity as they consume them, then, yes... they should be regulated more heavily.

I'd even be fine with heavy taxes on cigarettes, cigars, etc and lesser taxes on snuff and chewing tobacco.

I mean, I'd rather people didn't use these products at all, but if they do use snuff, I don't have to breathe it in every time I walk out a door onto a busy street where people are all congregated for a smoke because they cannot smoke inside restaurants anymore.

Which is really the point, isn't it?

I also prefer stronger regulations on vehicle emissions for the very same reason.

Sure, it would be nice to encourage folks to take better care of themselves, but they're free to damage their bodies all they want. They're just not free to damage everyone else's in the process.

Which is what smoking in public does.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

Sure, it would be nice to encourage folks to take better care of themselves, but they're free to damage their bodies all they want. They're just not free to damage everyone else's in the process.

Which is what smoking in public does.
I think that you have a much stronger argument. People have a right to smoke; people have a right to breathe clean air. They used to say "the right to swing your fist stops short of my nose."

I don't know how old you are, but in my early working days, when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, I was often confined in small conference rooms with ten other people -- two smoking cigars, one a pipe, and three or four smoking cigarettes. It was ghastly. One time the senior man asked "is it OK if I smoke a cigar?" One of my older colleagues said "would it do any good to say 'yes'?" To his credit, the senior man stopped smoking in close quarters from that day on. He was a good guy.

On the other hand, I am one of the few people (I guess) who actually enjoys a whiff of good second-hand cigar or pipe smoke (in moderation, outdoors).

Old 10-29-2016, 07:48 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedCitizenClinton View Post
If we slowly wean the poor off the tit of the government and have retirees plan in advance for medical expenses, we'll get rid of this problem for the most part.
How do you plan for a medical emergency that may cost tens of thousands of dollars when 46 percent of Americans said they did not have enough money to cover a $400 emergency expense?

If Americans faced the same expenses for college as the French, the same expenses for medical care as the Brits, and the same costs for child care, retirement, and elder care as Sweden...

Old 10-29-2016, 11:29 PM

88 posts, read 55,937 times
When those people stop having the option to suck the tit of the gubment. Stop giving them an out, and they are forced to work for it. I'm not saying pull the rug out in one generation, but start now and stop them slowly. It's not my fault I save money and others don't. I don't have a nice car for a reason. I don't know what will happen in the future. I have a reliable car to get me to work. That's all I need. Start by enforcing e-verify. That removes illegals. This opens up jobs for those without jobs. If they choose not to work, I'm sorry but I guess you'll starve. Evolution, right? If your disabled, we can work something out. I believe in charity, just not from tax money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: