Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2019, 06:37 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times

Advertisements

Greensboro is getting to look like a big city in its downtown area.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:13 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
There was a big special advertorial section of Business Journal on SouthPark area growth. It was called the Southpark Spotlight. here is some recap with timing of these projects.

3 new hotels
AC by Marriott opens this October 162 rooms 8 stories
175 room Hyatt Centric at Apex (skislope church site) 8 stories early 2021
150 room Canopy by Hilton 6 stories behind SouthPark towers next to new Liberty southpark project spring of 2020

5000 New apartments in the last 5 years

New Restoration Hardware 41,000 sq ft 3 stories new anchor of LH's redux of Phillips Place

3 mile Southpark loop trail in planning and some developers like LH and Childress Klein will complete their portions as apart of their projects will connect Piedmont Row with Fairview office towers to Phillips Place to Apex Southpark to Rexford Rd office area back to Capitol Towers.

The Colony redevelopment will start 2Q of this year. 1st phase is 280K of retail with anchors Publix and 70K Lifestyle Fitness center 340 of the planned 900+ apartments and a hotel.

Apex Southpark two 12 story apartment towers will be up to the Museum Tower standards. (and I guess close in price) this is 2021 completion but well underway now.

Liberty's Barclay at Southpark 165 senior apartments plus over 100 assisted living units.

Zom's Hazel Southpark with 203 apartments. 1st quarter 2020 completion.

Legion Brewing at Capitol Towers unbelievably successful according to Johnny Harris of LH.

LH still plans it 340K third Capitol Tower calling it 5954 Carnegie Blvd 10 story more modern tower won rezoning. They hope to start at end of this year!

Old 05-12-2019, 07:22 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Greensboro is getting to look like a big city in its downtown area.
No. It looks very, very small. It doesn’t resemble a big city in even the most general and liberal of terms. It does look nice though and I’ve been wanting to go back since that new park opened. It seems like the city has added quite a few amenities since I’ve been around 7 years ago (I’ve been to GSO since, just not the downtown)

I think Charlotte is the only Carolina city that looks like a “bigger” (but still just big for a mid-sized) city.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:24 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
No. It looks very, very small. It doesn’t resemble a big city in even the most general and liberal of terms. It does look nice though and I’ve been wanting to go back since that new park opened. It seems like the city has added quite a few amenities since I’ve been around 7 years ago (I’ve been to GSO since, just not the downtown)

I think Charlotte is the only Carolina city that looks like a “bigger” (but still just big for a mid-sized) city.

My goodness you can’t let a compliment slide.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post

Saying that Greensboro looks like a big city when it looks like a small city, particularly in that photo?

There’s nothing wrong with being a smaller city. Take a look at Greenville or Charleston, SC. Both amazinggg downtowns. Energetic, lively, one with a case to be made it’s a global destination and even has a flight to London on British Airways...

My opinion. It doesn’t look like a big city. In the slightest. Maybe to you it does. But not to me.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:46 AM

It was a compliment of another city you turned into a chance to post a picture of Charlotte’s skyline. Self-awareness is not a bad thing.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:51 AM

241 posts, read 237,652 times
Quote:

He's got a city-data alert. "A ha! No way I'm letting this comment get through"

Old 05-12-2019, 08:02 AM

6,158 posts, read 7,226,364 times
Quote:

I think it was in reference to density. Its all relative. Compared to Charlotte it doesn't. Just like people from New York or Houston would say Charlotte doesn't look like a big city. It's all relative depending on perspective. I personally know someone from Houston who told me Charlotte is a small city. Just like I've heard people from Lexington refer to Greensboro as "the big city"

But depending on the photo angle, Greensboro does look decent with its skyline and density.

These are some of the best shots I've seen to date of Greensboro

Greensboro is about to get even more dense with two more planned midrise apartment complexes, a 10 story tall office building, 20 story office tower, 12 story Westin, 10 story Aloft and 7 story Hampton Inn and Suites. In addition, downtown Greensboro is getting bigger in size, the central business district is expanding south below Gate City Blvd. Often when people look at the size of downtown Greensboro they zero in on the four tallest towers or Elm Street. But downtown's actual size is a square mile which is much bigger than people realize. Just goes to show that Downtown Greensboro is no where near being built out. There are a lot of development opportunities for downtown Greensboro's future. There is plenty of land to have an extremely impressive skyline in the future

But on the national scale, Greensboro is considered a mid-sized city on the same tier as cities like Richmond, Norfolk or Birmingham not "big" but also not small. Greensboro is on the brink of 300,000 people which was where Charlotte was in the early 80s. The CSA is about 1.7 million in the Triad. Guilford County alone has about 1/3 of the Triad's CSA population, about half a million people in Guilford County. Its the Triad's most populated and densely populated county.

Greensboro is truly becoming a real city. The city is reaching the tipping point of becoming North Carolina's next big growth urban city and the evidence is unfolding before our eyes in development and industry.

Advanced industry is picking up rapidly in Greensboro. In addition Greensboro has a presence in the insurance financial sector with the headquarters of Lincoln Financial insurance division and the headquarters for Arch Capital Mortgage Insurance which btw is the largest mortgage insurance company in the United States. The insurance sector is Greensboro's best chance in terms of high paying white collar jobs. Meanwhile Greensboro is becoming a center for advanced manufacturing, and aviation/aerospace hub and has long been a center for distribution and logistics.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-12-2019 at 09:32 AM..

Old 05-12-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
It was a compliment of another city you turned into a chance to post a picture of Charlotte’s skyline. Self-awareness is not a bad thing.

Disagreeing that Raleigh is basking in the national spotlight, tourism is increasing by 50% due to people flocking to the city for its Eiffel Tower-like draw of a food scene and disagreeing that Greensboro looked like a big city?

Why do you need compliments over things that aren’t true and are silly? Why not actual “compliments”. Why is it not enough to say Raleigh has a nice food scene and Greensboro is adding great additions to their downtown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think it was in reference to density. Its all relative. Compared to Charlotte it doesn't. Just like people from New York or Houston would say Charlotte doesn't look like a big city. It's all relative depending on perspective. I personally know someone from Houston who told me Charlotte is a small city. Just like I've heard people from Lexington refer to Greensboro as "the big city"

Greensboro is about to get even more dense with two more planned midrise apartment complexes, a 10 story tall office building, 20 story office tower, 12 story Westin, 10 story Aloft and 7 story Hampton Inn and Suites. In addition, downtown Greensboro is getting bigger in size, the central business district is expanding south below Gate City Blvd.

But on the national scale, Greensboro is considered a mid-sized city on the same tier as cities like Richmond, Norfolk or Birmingham not "big" but also not small. Greensboro is on the brink of 300,000 people which was where Charlotte was in the early 80s.

I could agree with this, although I’d say Greensboro is on the lowest end of that tier based on the cities you mentioned. But, those cities, I think, were historically more important and had a huge head start. Thoughhh, Greensboro is nicer. I’d put GSO with cities like shreveport or Akron

Richmond

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/72/13...37d3f46b13.jpg

Shreveport

https://s3.envato.com/files/24836610...fin%20copy.jpg

Last edited by Charlotte485; 05-12-2019 at 08:42 AM..

Old 05-12-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Disagreeing that Raleigh is basking in the national spotlight, tourism is increasing by 50% due to people flocking to the city for its Eiffel Tower-like draw of a food scene and disagreeing that Greensboro looked like a big city?

Why do you need compliments over things that aren’t true and are silly? Why not actual “compliments”. Why is it not enough to say Raleigh has a nice food scene and Greensboro is adding great additions to their downtown?
An article was posted about a fairly significant honor, you decided to only respond with derision to a pr quote. Another poster compliments a city’s skyline, you decide to not only dismiss it but whip out yours so we could get a measurement. On Mother’s Day, it wouldn’t be remiss to remember the old maternal adage “if you don’t have something nice to say...” .

Last edited by Heel82; 05-12-2019 at 09:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina