Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2019, 07:23 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times

Advertisements

Work continues on new businesses - Rocky Mount Telegram

Old 08-26-2019, 07:05 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
News Flash: Charlotte just got Cruise Ship uptown to dock

Photo by A2

Old 08-27-2019, 08:55 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,181 times
Advance Auto Parts has chosen North Hills for their corporate HQ. They join IAT Insurance in bringing the currently under construction tower to now 85% leased. They will also have naming rights and unsurprisingly, this will now be called Advance Auto Parts tower. Scheduled to be completed in the latter half of 2020.

Also just some updated renderings of the multi phase 301 Hillsborough development block which the Fallon company is scheduled to be breaking ground on in September. The 20 story office portion will be the first of the 3 buildings to go vertical, with Pendo Software as the major tenant. They decided to finally give this development block a name. Unfortunately it sucks. Raleigh Crossing..

Old 08-27-2019, 10:21 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Ok. I know I’m going to ruffle feathers with this.

But I’ve been to center city Raleigh several times. And there’s just a lack of energy or lack of something I feel. Charlotte, for example, felt similar around 2002 to this feeling, but it was still tightly packed. Raleigh’s downtown feels a little dead every time I’ve been. I mean. There’s tiny pockets that are sorta active. But there seems to be a lack of cohesiveness or a larger mass connecting the dots. I don’t know what it is. Maybe it just needs more time to mature and grow into a city that personally has a vibe I’m looking for?

Are there - preferably triangle people - who think downtown has room for improvement or is there a longer term trend you would want to see?

And btw, thanks for posting all those renderings Trent. I like to see them.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:55 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
The government area does kind of simply sit in the middle of downtown. But I don’t think we’ll be tearing down the Capitol for an arena anytime soon so. Mostly you’ll just see Glenwood South start merging with the Warehouse and hopefully start to see the other gaps fill elsewhere.

Last edited by Heel82; 08-28-2019 at 04:06 AM..

Old 08-28-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Ok. I know I’m going to ruffle feathers with this.

But I’ve been to center city Raleigh several times. And there’s just a lack of energy or lack of something I feel. Charlotte, for example, felt similar around 2002 to this feeling, but it was still tightly packed. Raleigh’s downtown feels a little dead every time I’ve been. I mean. There’s tiny pockets that are sorta active. But there seems to be a lack of cohesiveness or a larger mass connecting the dots. I don’t know what it is. Maybe it just needs more time to mature and grow into a city that personally has a vibe I’m looking for?

Are there - preferably triangle people - who think downtown has room for improvement or is there a longer term trend you would want to see?

And btw, thanks for posting all those renderings Trent. I like to see them.
Sure there's tons of room for improvement.

You pretty much answer your own gripes with the comparison to Charlotte from 2002. You would no doubt say Charlotte has made significant improvements since 2002 right? I'm sure you would agree that no city is built out and filled in perfectly from the start. Districts and neighborhoods are grown and connected as a city or downtown improves. Doesn't matter if we're talking about Raleigh or NYC. Every city has room for improvement.

Uptown Charlotte still has a fairly wide reputation for having a pretty skyline and looking good from the air, but being quite vanilla/sterile at ground level. Even a world class city like DC for example. Amazing large areas of life, but large areas of government dead zones at the same time. Sure they are all connected by built up development, but not necessarily great street level activity.

Every city has has highs and low points. As well as all the differing opinions from its visitors, residences, critics, fans, etc.

With that said, I do personally think Raleighs short comings are habitually overstated. Especially on this forum. I think it's mostly that people have it stuck in their mind that downtown needs to be exactly like every other peer city's downtown. That it must suck because it's not as big or matured as Austin, Nashville, Charlotte etc etc.

Yet as we religiously go over, the reason for that is because the Triangle is a unique situation in which Raleigh and especially it's downtown was never the center of the universe here. RTP was and still is largely the reason this area is in the tier it's in.

Now that is changing to some degree as more focus is being given to the urban areas of the whole metro, but that development is almost in infancy when comparing it to other cities. We can do the same comparison to downtown Raleigh from 2002 and the difference is staggering. Even without downtown being the main focus of the region. And that growth and development is continuing to accelerate. So yeah tons of room for improvement on top of the tons of improvement already made. Which is how it should be.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:54 AM

Concerning Raleigh Crossing, TBJ is reporting that the Fallon Company plans to start on phase 2 in 2020 shortly after the ground breaking next month. Phase 2 will include both the 20 story hotel and 20 story apartment building with 18,000sqft of retail. We could see 3 cranes on this block in 2020. This will be a significant "connector" for the northern end of the warehouse district to the Glenwood South district.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle..._news_headline

Old 08-28-2019, 09:17 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Goldsboro may be joining the microbrewery scene.

https://newsargus.com/news/1052/two-...cate-downtown/

Old 08-28-2019, 02:19 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Sure there's tons of room for improvement.

You pretty much answer your own gripes with the comparison to Charlotte from 2002. You would no doubt say Charlotte has made significant improvements since 2002 right?
Present day Charlotte is what I imagined it would be/look like in 2050. I'm honestly very surprised at the growth, the added people, every way. It's not the same place it was in the slightest.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:45 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Present day Charlotte is what I imagined it would be/look like in 2050. I'm honestly very surprised at the growth, the added people, every way. It's not the same place it was in the slightest.
In 2002, North Hills was a dead mall. Things change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina