Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 03:07 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,322,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Not sure if serious. A Combined Statistical area of over 2 million people can't handle a Corp that has 50K employees? Charlotte's is 2.4. Are you saying Charlotte couldnt handle it either?
The CSA is irrelevant (and Charlotte’s is 2.6, not 2.4). 50k people are already moving to Raleigh without a company like Amazon. The sudden influx of Amazon employees combined with the number of people already moving there is a disaster waiting to happen, especially considering the lack of support Raleigh already has for it’s growth. It’s not rocket science.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:16 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
Charlotte has gaine 127,610 in 7 years since 2010. I have see traffic increase, our roads, are the busiest I very seen them.The state of North Carolina has not done much to ease traffic on our major highway.

I see housing being built on every vacant lot around town. I seen I seen 4 large apartment complexes built near where I live. And if there is not vacant they will buy a house tear it down and built a bigger one.
My property taxes have gone up.

Charlotte has average 18,230 people a increase in population. So if you think a slower growth in Charlotte not much try dumping 50,000 to 75,000 people in your city in a short time, Last time I saw numbers, over 12,000 apartments are plan or under construction in Charlotte. This to just take care of our growth now.

Not everyone who goes to NCSU-UNC or Duke will want to work for Amazon.

If you want to see a mess, look at Seattle.

At Charlotte present growth it would be hard to take in 50,000 workers in new HQs in town.
To build the needed office build would be a major task. You will need to find construction worker and lots of money to build these office towers.

At the present time Charlotte has 5 office buildings and towers under construction and has 3 more office towers plan.
I do not think we have space uptown for the number of towers needed for Amazon.

Raleigh has gains about 8,695 people a year.-, since 201 to 2017. So how would they adjust for the number Amazon would bring?

Old 06-01-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
The CSA is irrelevant (and Charlotte’s is 2.6, not 2.4). 50k people are already moving to Raleigh without a company like Amazon. The sudden influx of Amazon employees combined with the number of people already moving there is a disaster waiting to happen, especially considering the lack of support Raleigh already has for it’s growth. It’s not rocket science.

60,866 moved to Raleigh from 2010 t0 2017.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:48 PM

459 posts, read 373,662 times
>You will need to find construction worker and lots of money to build these office towers.

Yeah, it's called Amazon, they already stated they will spend at least $10 billion dollars on HQ2 development. That doesn't even include other developers taking advantage of this major project.

Seattle is on a narrow strip of land between two bodies of water. Raleigh is an endless expanse of land with no major rives, lakes, mountain ranges to get in the way.

HQ2 will take at least 10 years from reaching max employment. That's only an average of 5,000 new workers on average a year.

Calm down, Amazon passed on Charlotte because Charlotte is obvious way too good for Amazon and Amazon knows its unworthy. You don't have to poison the conversation.

Plus Cary is just a neighborhood of Raleigh (only 5 miles from DTR center) and it gained 27k people since 2010 so Raleigh-Cary's population increase is about 90,000. Unlike Charlotte, Raleigh didn't eat its entire county.

Add the city of Durham, that's another 38k persons since 2010. That's 128,000 net increase in population in the Triangle's three major cities. That's not including the huge population boom south Wake County is experiencing.

Last edited by raleighsocial; 06-01-2018 at 04:02 PM..

Old 06-02-2018, 11:51 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Charlotte has gaine 127,610 in 7 years since 2010. I have see traffic increase, our roads, are the busiest I very seen them.The state of North Carolina has not done much to ease traffic on our major highway.

I see housing being built on every vacant lot around town. I seen I seen 4 large apartment complexes built near where I live. And if there is not vacant they will buy a house tear it down and built a bigger one.
My property taxes have gone up.

Charlotte has average 18,230 people a increase in population. So if you think a slower growth in Charlotte not much try dumping 50,000 to 75,000 people in your city in a short time, Last time I saw numbers, over 12,000 apartments are plan or under construction in Charlotte. This to just take care of our growth now.

Not everyone who goes to NCSU-UNC or Duke will want to work for Amazon.

If you want to see a mess, look at Seattle.

At Charlotte present growth it would be hard to take in 50,000 workers in new HQs in town.
To build the needed office build would be a major task. You will need to find construction worker and lots of money to build these office towers.

At the present time Charlotte has 5 office buildings and towers under construction and has 3 more office towers plan.
I do not think we have space uptown for the number of towers needed for Amazon.

Raleigh has gains about 8,695 people a year.-, since 201 to 2017. So how would they adjust for the number Amazon would bring?
I'm against Amazon for the Triangle but definitely for Apple.

for the 3rd time comparing populations of Charlotte's huge annexation of its country to to Raleigh's small percentage of Wake is apples to oranges.

Now all of a sudden we're hearing an argument against growth by the ones whose wet dream is attaining big city status.

Just shows that there's more to a city being respected around the world than what a construction crane and crew can build.

Raleigh continues to shine without caring or building a skyline meant to impress anything or anyone.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:17 PM

Amazon new home?
Amazon HQ2 – Washington DC Capitol Riverfront

Old 06-02-2018, 04:36 PM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
Amazon in DC would essentially be the most radical rapid gentrification of an American city since White people killed off the First Peoples. It would make Chocolate City pale beige almost overnight. Black people would be driven out of their most prized city.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:26 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Amazon in DC would essentially be the most radical rapid gentrification of an American city since White people killed off the First Peoples. It would make Chocolate City pale beige almost overnight. Black people would be driven out of their most prized city.

So?

Why does it matter? Are we supposed to just leave areas of cities to rot and be swamped with violence and drugs just so white people dont feel guilty? I’m White Latino but I don’t like idea of just designating crap holes, as the president would say, to certain races so we can pretend they have it good with affordable housing.

Bring on gentrification. If people get pushed out, so be it. At least there will be more opportunities to come back to the city with a sustainable job instead of working the local family dollar.

Education and community programs will make people’s lives better. Not sticking them all in ghettos

Old 06-03-2018, 08:57 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I'm against Amazon for the Triangle but definitely for Apple.

for the 3rd time comparing populations of Charlotte's huge annexation of its country to to Raleigh's small percentage of Wake is apples to oranges.

Now all of a sudden we're hearing an argument against growth by the ones whose wet dream is attaining big city status.

Just shows that there's more to a city being respected around the world than what a construction crane and crew can build.

Raleigh continues to shine without caring or building a skyline meant to impress anything or anyone.
Raleigh happens to be the capitol of the state and used the proximity of political power to leverage the funding/building of several universities in the area. Which is the primary reason why the Triangle can attract tech companies. Charlotte didn't have that proximity to political clout. It seems though you're "hating" or attempting to take to a swipe at Charlotte for a having built a significant skyline representative of its financial industry strength which is pretty evident for any city with a huge financial presence.

I think Charlotte has done more with less than probably any city in the US. Does Raleigh need a prominent skyline? In my opinion, yes, and will soon get better. Most American cities have prominent skylines that represent their economic strength, aside from those with height restrictions for a variety of reasons. And yes, skylines are built to accommodate center city workers and too impress. It's an American thing and anyone who doesn't think Raleigh wants an impressive skyline is in denial. Don't hate on Charlotte because Raleigh's skyline is less than impressive for such a high growth city/metro.

Raleigh ain't Charleston or DC.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:04 PM

Why is it so bad that Charlotte as 2014 has 300 sq Miles of Mecklenburg County 546 square miles. There are 4 other towns in Mecklenburg county.

Wake County is 857 sq. miles with 12 cities and towns plus the city of Durham has a piece of Wake county.
It is highly unlikely that Raleigh could expand to 300 sq. miles. Wake County also will pass Mecklenburg County
population in the next year or 2.

Nashville TN took the whole county of 525.9 sq. miles
Jacksonville toke the whole county of 874.64 sq. miles.
Houston TX is 627 sq. miles
Dallas TX 385.8 sq miles
San Antonio 465.4 sq miles
Austin TX is 305 sq miles

So why is it so bad that Charlotte is 300 sq. miles?

I see Charlotte as the larges city in NC and Wake county with the largest population.

At the present time Mecklenburg and Wake Counties give the most to North Carolina in taxes and have the most new jobs.

Last edited by CLT1985; 06-03-2018 at 01:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina