Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 05:48 AM

678 posts, read 738,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
I am all for voter ID, I don't understand the outrage about this. How do people go through life everyday without an ID?

Elderly folks for one. If you're disabled and don't drive, how many times do you need to show a current ID? All your retirement pay is direct deposited, and your other accounts were set up 20+ years ago when you had a current driver's license. Your pharmacy medications are either sent through the mail, picked up by a caretaker, or distributed through the nursing home, so you won't need to show a ID there. There's some situations for controlled medications where you need to show ID, but then again, that won't apply to all old people.

"You need a ID to cash checks". You don't need an ID to deposit checks, especially when you been going to the same local bank for thirty years, and the tellers and bank manager know you by name and face. Linda from the local credit union isn't going to ask 85 year old Mary Smith for her (likely expired by now) North Carolina photo ID, when they have been doing business together for 25 years. You can use an ATM to withdraw cash, and you don't need an ID for that

I can go on and on about how elderly folks don't need to show a current photo ID (the only one that would be acceptable for voting) on a regular basis, but you get the idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 08:06 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,052,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
Elderly folks for one. If you're disabled and don't drive, how many times do you need to show a current ID? All your retirement pay is direct deposited, and your other accounts were set up 20+ years ago when you had a current driver's license. Your pharmacy medications are either sent through the mail, picked up by a caretaker, or distributed through the nursing home, so you won't need to show a ID there. There's some situations for controlled medications where you need to show ID, but then again, that won't apply to all old people.

"You need a ID to cash checks". You don't need an ID to deposit checks, especially when you been going to the same local bank for thirty years, and the tellers and bank manager know you by name and face. Linda from the local credit union isn't going to ask 85 year old Mary Smith for her (likely expired by now) North Carolina photo ID, when they have been doing business together for 25 years. You can use an ATM to withdraw cash, and you don't need an ID for that

I can go on and on about how elderly folks don't need to show a current photo ID (the only one that would be acceptable for voting) on a regular basis, but you get the idea
My Mother was 95. She always kept a current picture ID. despite her infirmities and her inability to leave the house without assistance. It was not costly or time consuming to renew it ever 5 years.
It was a simple process that can be done regardless of age with little to no effort, certainly much less effort than getting on medicare/Medicaid, local government transportation assistance, or her husband's social security plan.

Bottom line, it is much more difficult to set up and continue those services you talked about than it is to obtain a picture ID every 5 years.

So what's the beef?

Old 06-11-2018, 09:18 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,511 times
Quote:

Having a valid ID is part of being a responsible adult.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:44 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's a solution looking for a problem.
Sums it up for me... it really is fixing something that isn't broken. The true problem is voter turnout and this does nothing to address that very serious issue for our democracy. It actually will do the opposite and lower turnout because it introduces a barrier to vote that never existed before.

I won't argue that it "makes sense" on many levels - but, you need to ask why it qualifies for a constitutional amendment... why is this needed when we barely get anyone out to vote as it is?

Old 06-11-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
My Mother was 95. She always kept a current picture ID. despite her infirmities and her inability to leave the house without assistance. It was not costly or time consuming to renew it ever 5 years.
It was a simple process that can be done regardless of age with little to no effort, certainly much less effort than getting on medicare/Medicaid, local government transportation assistance, or her husband's social security plan.

Bottom line, it is much more difficult to set up and continue those services you talked about than it is to obtain a picture ID every 5 years.

So what's the beef?

Your mother had help to renew her ID, I am assuming. Who's going to drive all the other seniors to the DMV and have them wait several hours to renew their ID's? That's just the ones who have all their documents in order

Old 06-11-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Your mother had help to renew her ID, I am assuming. Who's going to drive all the other seniors to the DMV and have them wait several hours to renew their ID's? That's just the ones who have all their documents in order
The same exact system that takes them to the polling place, the grocery store, the doctor's office.

Never known my Mother to wait several hours, usually an hour or less, sometimes 10 minutes in and out. Especially when it became just an ID.

It just seems like such an easy solution to silence those that are always clamoring about voter fraud.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:49 PM

42 posts, read 53,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
And we all know things couldn't possibly change in 240 years.
If only the NRA crowd could see this sarcastic truth

Old 06-11-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilforgod View Post
If only the NRA crowd could see this sarcastic truth
Amen!

Old 06-12-2018, 07:42 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Elderly folks for one. If you're disabled and don't drive, how many times do you need to show a current ID?

I have to show an ID every time I go to the doctor.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I have to show an ID every time I go to the doctor.
That's ridiculous. Having to show our ID all the time everywhere is one of the reason why Identity theft is so rampant. If we're going to do a voter ID, we need a stronger identify verification system, or like one National ID card for everybody in the US, that people can use for voting or to identify themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina