Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 11:15 PM

67 posts, read 73,475 times

Advertisements

Honestly, thats every where! We get that here 10k miles away. Its just how people are anymore. Call an 800# and talk to someone. Don't they sound rude? Do you stop calling tech support, or getting a new service. Nope. I personally tell them. You're sounding rude. Bad day? I call them on it. Unless people start calling others on it there will be no change.

Just like these teenage kids that you parents out there let them wear these long pants and short skirts. The girls love these boys who wear these terrible clothes. If they would start saying those look dumb, it would make a start.

In conclusion, people only do what they know they can get away with. Don't change who you are, make them change =)

Last edited by K9LVR; 06-17-2006 at 11:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinaborn&raised
Oh, one local elementary school had 20 something!

Oh my gosh!

Old 06-17-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper
What's wrong with a mobile unit for a classroom? I was in one in elementary school....in the '70's! If it keeps class sizes down and has a/c and a blackboard kids can learn in it. One of the best teachers I ever had taught us in one of those mobile units.
If I remember correctly, in the 70's and 80's I think we had a few. Three if I remember right. Never thought anything bad about it.

Old 06-18-2006, 12:59 AM

336 posts, read 513,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
This message is hidden because i'minformed is on your ignore list.
That is much better. What a great forum feature.

Old 06-18-2006, 07:18 AM

107 posts, read 354,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk0171
The pollen is unbearable in spring and is actually the worst in the nation (this is the price of having all of the trees around the houses)

FYI...FL is actually the worse for pollen in the spring time...in March you should go to pollen*dot* com and you'll see that FL (where we live now) is always in the top 5 in the spring... my husband should know...he has awful allergies in the spring.
But to answer the original question (I hate when people jump all over the place in threads...let's stick to the topic! and i am guilty of doing that obviously LOL) We are moving there next Wed., so soon after, we shall see if NC is over rated. I seriously doubt it though...seems like it has way more to offer us than FL (besides Mickey Mouse!!)
Say goodbye to Mickey mouse for us !! We will be waiting for your review once you get there o.k. ??

Old 06-18-2006, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Not too many places. I don't think you get the small town feeling... not by any streatch, in most of Wake County. And although I'm not as familiar with small town NC, from what I've heard from others on this forum, the jobs don't pay as high there.
Well then, I guess my husband just got lucky then ?

Old 06-18-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native
No offense, but you can find a job in a small town in Kansas, or anywhere if you really look.

People believe the hype they hear about NC, and want to move. Its like if a job oppurtunity opens up, they see it as a sign from the Lord to move!

I know all about AZ and CA. The overcrowding issues and all. You are trading one overpriced suburb for another one. Trust me.

These boom towns really dont have a small town feel. My sister lives in a subdivision in Mooresville. Most people that live there are from out of state. Ill be in the yard, and say hello and wave to those passing by. All I get in return is a wierd look. So I pretty much quit doing it. I guess its that yankee attitude, and its taking its root here too.
I am ( IN your stereotypical world ) The biggest Yankee then, and I wave to everyone, talk to everyone , will help any neighbor in need ! So stop being so closed minded !

Old 06-18-2006, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinaborn&raised
I know how you feel. I was born and raised here (hence the name, Carolinaborn&raised ) and I'm starting to feel like an outsider in my own state. Especially when I'm in a grocery store in North Raleigh or Cary. I'm the type of person (because it is how I grew up) that looks a person in the eye and smiles when I come in contact with someone else in the grocery store aisle. 99% of the time what I get back is a blank stare which makes me feel very uncomfortable. The sad thing is that I recently noticed that I have started avoiding eye contact with people when I'm in Raleigh/Cary.
Once again Stereotyped ! The funny thing in my town (IN NEW YORK ) We all know everyone and say hi in the stores and stop to talk , so should I claim it as North carolina ? These kind of attitiudes I am seeing is pretty scary . I thought the war was over !

Old 06-18-2006, 07:36 AM

285 posts, read 1,091,254 times
I have lived in Union County, NC for 6 years, with four children and hubby.
Five things I love about NC
1. Southeast in general, I grew up in Nashville, TN, and this feels like "home"
2. Change of seasons, moderate winters. One good snow a year and the thrill of hearing "no school" once for the kids is enough for me. Just one or two days of drippy snow clothes is just enough fun!
3. Charlotte has lots of great shopping, restaurants, the new growth has a crisp and clean feel, lots of very upscale new commercial neighborhood spots
4. I love my neighborhood, neighbors, friends, church community, and my hospital that I self schedule my work. Friendly people, genuinely good families.
5. Great in state college opportunities for my children, and we are quickly heading that way, one already in college.

The things I don't like:
1. Union County is growing so fast, the schools are fiercely overcrowded, and the administration is stuck in a time warp.
2. Lack of school sports and activities for the middle school level, the only school sanctioned sport is basketball and basketball cheerleading.
3. Widespread teacher misconduct, no action taken, very punitive culture when a child has the most minor of infractions. Abusive discipline techniques allowed. Massive overcrowding.
4. The current heat and humidity, feels like it may be a long summer.
5. Grocery prices, they are high.

That's a start.
Thanks for starting this, great topic.
In close, I love living here, and will continue to work hard in local politics to effect positive change,and make our schools better places for all of the tremendous students that are coming into this area. It is not the area's fault that the growth is here, but it is the job of elected officials to manage it better, and to follow code of ethics and state laws in managing school employees. I will work hard to insist that this improves. We are making strides.

Old 06-18-2006, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9LVR
Honestly, thats every where! We get that here 10k miles away. Its just how people are anymore. Call an 800# and talk to someone. Don't they sound rude? Do you stop calling tech support, or getting a new service. Nope. I personally tell them. You're sounding rude. Bad day? I call them on it. Unless people start calling others on it there will be no change.

Just like these teenage kids that you parents out there let them wear these long pants and short skirts. The girls love these boys who wear these terrible clothes. If they would start saying those look dumb, it would make a start.

In conclusion, people only do what they know they can get away with. Don't change who you are, make them change =)
You are soooooooooooo right ! Don't change your values for anyone !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina