Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2006, 03:27 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And judging by nearly every northerner I've ever met, yankees generally don't have the same type of manners. The handful that do, have acquired it over a few years of living in the south.
THAT is where you lost your credibility.

Quote:
I guess if the only polite northerner you met must have learned it in the south, I guess the only intelligent southerner I've ever met must have been educated in the NORTH!
Although I would normally say that was uncalled for, it was a good comeback. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2006, 03:43 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
I can live with that. i'm simply telling y'all what i've seen - you can stick your fingers in your ears and say it isn't true if you'd like, you have that right.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:32 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
The north/south is going to be an age old debate. I remember seeing something in a classic Star Trek episode where "Bones" (Dr. McCoy, who is an "old Georgia country Doctor" in space) says something about the "darn yankees"

Old 06-19-2006, 06:16 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
In all reality too..... they are only still fighting the civil war in the south. They say it's not hard feelings about losing, but you don't see the north still whining about it. (not that it's all southerners still fighting the civil war)

Old 06-19-2006, 06:22 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,855,438 times
I think its an excuse to be rude. Nothing more. People are people.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:25 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiomom
I just had to throw my .02 in here.

After reading so many threads about NC, it's not as appealing as it once was to me. Maybe that's what people are trying to do to keep us all out.

I am in a very, very nice community and am hoping we stay now. Unfortunately, won't be my choice.
pegmomof4 is correct. Don't make your decisions based on what you're reading on these threads. Make a trip, speak to people, travel thru different areas. My husband and I wanted to live in Holly Springs when we first visited there. We loved it but his employment opportunities brought us to the Charlotte area. I was very resistant but my husband said not to dismiss it just because I had only seen Holly Springs. So we made the trip down to the Charlotte area so that I can get the same warm feeling I had when we were down in Holly Springs. Sure enough, I fell in love with the area and what the area had to offer in terms of real estate, job opportunities, culture, etc. You need to really feel the area rather than just hearing about it. I wish you all the best of luck!

Old 06-19-2006, 06:51 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,860 times
I was raised down here to be a lady. By that I mean I try to help people and I don't go out of my way to be insulting and hateful. I expect to be treated the same way no matter where your birth certificate says you are from. I don't think the south or the north have cornered the market on politeness or rudeness. It is the way the person is raised. Granted the pace of living is slower in the rural areas and some people accustomed to the rat race might find getting behind a 45 MPH driver in a 55 MPH zone unnerving. Just remember that if they are able to drive that slow and get where they are going that you are probably going to be alright and going with the flow of the area. I get annoyed sometimes. I don't have as much patience as I did when I was younger especially over stupid things. By that I mean two things really get me going. One is at the grocery store. You have a person that is in line with well over $100.00 worth of items. The entire time the cashier is ringing this up this person has made not the first effort to locate their checkbook, at least write in everything but the amount or locate any money to pay for this. And they haven't started giving away anything down here yet. So when she finally totals this stuff, you have to stand there sometimes with a wiggling kid while they take a month of Sundays to fill out this check or locate their money. That does annoy me. Another thing that annoys me is the drive thru pharmacy we have. (Yeah, can you believe we actually have one) People will do the same thing. I lie to you not I sat in line one day with a screaming baby and an upset toddler in a van with no A/C and it was about 100 degrees that day. The man had no so much as even took his wallet out until the woman came back to the window with the prescription. Then he did something that defied the limits of even my patience. He got out of the car, unlocked his truck. In that was a metal box that was locked, he got out his checkbook and proceeded to write out the check. Needless to say I was about ready to blow a gasket. Why on earth did he wait this long to do this? I don't have an answer to it but it happens all the time around here in various forms. For the most part, you learn to live with it. You don't need to be southern to be rude. That is an inborn and inbred trait that you learn by seeing. Same is turn for being polite. If you were "brought up right" as we say, you will be polite no matter where you are from. Don't worry, cross a boundary and most people will be more than happy to call you on it. I would never set out to insult someone intentionally. It is not my nature. It is also not my nature to be walked all over either. But there is a saying down here.
"You can keep your mouth shut and let people wonder if you are a fool or open your mouth and remove all doubt." When you are met with a situation that you don't know how to react to my best advice is don't. Smile, be nice, walk on by and think to yourself that I am the better person here. That includes what road rage there is although we have little of that here. If we did we would be raging at our "kin".

Old 06-19-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman
At one time some bad seeds from NYC must have come down here and ruined it for the rest of us.
I would agree with you. My friend who lives in Cary (formerly Long Island, NY) told me that another Long Island family moved down to his subdivision and he said that they are very snobbish. Now, that doesn't happen with everyone, but obviously there are some Northerners that move and expect to take over (unlike myself).

Old 06-19-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WenIs02
Lakeman, why do you make the assumption these bad seeds are from NYC? Here where I live on Long Island peolpe are friendly and do wave- I looked into this board to learn more about the area, neighborhoods, people, etc...I did not come to see rude remarks and accusations about a particular group of people living in a cerain area...rudeness can occur anywhere, not just NYC. Rudeness should be directed toward a specific geographic region. Have you ever been here?
As much as there are many, many Long Islanders that are nice, there are also many that are not. But that's not just Long Island, that's everywhere. I think one way or another we do run into people who are impolite.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:05 PM

107 posts, read 354,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WenIs02
Lakeman, why do you make the assumption these bad seeds are from NYC? Here where I live on Long Island peolpe are friendly and do wave- I looked into this board to learn more about the area, neighborhoods, people, etc...I did not come to see rude remarks and accusations about a particular group of people living in a cerain area...rudeness can occur anywhere, not just NYC. Rudeness should be directed toward a specific geographic region. Have you ever been here?
That is what I have been saying all along !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina