Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2006, 05:39 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,603,337 times

Advertisements

Looking To Relocate To A New Area In Nc With Good Schools......have 3 Children 12, 1o & 16,,,,,,,,would Like An Area That Gets Some Snowfall........thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 05:54 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
Asheville is the first thing that comes to mind. That is kind of the economic and cultural engine of Western NC. Anywhere out of the mountains will not get enough snow to satisfy. I grew up in Detroit and really missed the snow when I lived in NC. Even 30 miles East of Asheville (down the mountain) in the foothills, got very little snow.
Another area that gets even more snow than Asheville is Boone. Appalachian State University is there which drives the economy there as well as tourism.
Of course, I have mentioned the larger towns where you are more likely to find work.
Yancy, Mitchell, Avery and Watauga counties all get significant snow. Those are kind of North of Asheville. But, even the counties to the South of Asheville but still with elevation, will get some snow.

What part of the state are you moving from? I have good friends in Greenville, who have two daughters who relocated up near Boone after going to college there. They like the change of seasons.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:05 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,860 times
We in the east don't get snow every year. So I would suggest at least getting as far west as Asheville if not further if snow was something that I really wanted. I read somewhere that a lot of Floridians were moving to Murphy, NC up in the mountains. I liked Black Mountain and Maggie Valley as well. And Sparta along with Mt. Airy weren't too bad either. They are all in the northwestern part of the state. "Mayberry" was set in Andy Griffin's hometown of Mt. Airy I believe it was. I know Sparta is really near the Virginia state line because I got lost up there one night going to Sparta and was in Virginia before I realized it.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:27 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
Boone and Asheville are the only two cities in the mountains (for that snow you wanted) with strong enough economies to provide good jobs and good schools. So there you go.
Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina