Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 04:42 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsgrandchild View Post
"Are we Yankees that bad??"

....as a native Southerner, these are just a few of the incidents that I have experienced.... the "I'm gonna get there before you", "you people can't drive", insults for my accent, talked down to, almost being mowed down, then cursed at, flipped off, screamed at for daring to think I might cross at a protected pedestrian crosswalk, called a filthy name when I lightly honked my horn to let a cyclist know I was passing(as he was playfully manuvering between two lanes and I needed to get into the turning lane!),cursed at for taking a parking space I had patiently waited for before no one else was around, had one actually taken as I was attempting to back in, and every one of these instances were extremely aggressive.......so yes....most of us DO have a bad taste in our mouth. I have actually had northerners tell me "we had to share" the beautiful coastal regions, mountains, resources, as they came down here "to escape their environments". This, compounded with the fact that no one seems to be teaching their children manners, respect for others, compassion, and raising self centered, rude, irresponsible, and down right mean human beings...has created an attitude for all of us! I WILL, in the mean time, continue to try and be polite, kind, and genuinely caring until it is necessary for me to walk away so I will not become any of the above!!!!
And you somehow divined that these were all Northerners doing this unsafe driving? The worst tailgating, unsafe moves, etc., I have ever seen come from some eegits in pick up trucks with SC plates. I grew up in the South and have driven in the North, including NYC. Not saying Northerners don't have their driving quirks, but I've seen more obliviousness and selfishness here. Merging is also a harrowing experience here because people don't understand how to get in seamlessly.

Backing into parking spaces in crowded lots holds everyone else up. I've unwittingly taken someone's spot before when they went past a spot in a one way parking lot, then attempted to back up, causing general mayhem behind them. If it's a one way, go in front first and you won't have to worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 06:38 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
I'm one and can't stand the ones that think this state is supposed to be like NY or anywhere else
they are from. This is NC, we don't have pizza or bagel joints on every corner. If North is what
you want, 77 & 85 north will get you in the right direction.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 1,898 times
The biggest problem with yankees is that fact that they move here and then complain about our culture. I think it is hilarious when yankees get offended by Confederate Flags and Southern culture. The world would be a better place if they never moved down here. Any "Southerners" that are welcoming to yankees, are probably first generation transplants themselves. Southern is not just where you are born, it is an ethnicity. Southerners are people descended from the original English and Scotish/Scots-Irish colonists who settled the Southern Colonies, from Virginia down to Georgia. Anyone who does not fall into this category is a yankee and quite honestly, yankees living in the South are committing cultural genocide.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:29 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,120,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordb1861 View Post
The biggest problem with yankees is that fact that they move here and then complain about our culture. I think it is hilarious when yankees get offended by Confederate Flags and Southern culture. The world would be a better place if they never moved down here. Any "Southerners" that are welcoming to yankees, are probably first generation transplants themselves. Southern is not just where you are born, it is an ethnicity. Southerners are people descended from the original English and Scotish/Scots-Irish colonists who settled the Southern Colonies, from Virginia down to Georgia. Anyone who does not fall into this category is a yankee and quite honestly, yankees living in the South are committing cultural genocide.
You do realize you lost right? Give it up and move on! This "don't tread on me" and the confederate flag nonsense is stupid. if you can't respect the flag of the United States of America and what it means, then maybe it's time for you to relocate to another country.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:33 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I think maybe he wants to go back to 1861, or at least back to 2012 to dig this thread back up.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:02 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,047,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
You do realize you lost right? Give it up and move on! This "don't tread on me" and the confederate flag nonsense is stupid. if you can't respect the flag of the United States of America and what it means, then maybe it's time for you to relocate to another country.
I think the point is the Confederacy is a large part of Southern culture even if the actual significance has obviously changed. You can't just erase that part of history: just like slavery, it happened and nowadays just shows how the nation was and how far it has come.

I'm a Northerner by the way, that doesn't want the South to change.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:56 PM

926 posts, read 827,250 times
At least 1/10 of Fayetteville is from New York City.
I literally tend to deal with a ton of New Yorkers from Grocery stores to car dealers. I literally had back-to-back-to-back New yorkers serve me at CarMax. 3 of them in a row!

Old 03-04-2017, 09:59 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,120,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I think the point is the Confederacy is a large part of Southern culture even if the actual significance has obviously changed. You can't just erase that part of history: just like slavery, it happened and nowadays just shows how the nation was and how far it has come.

I'm a Northerner by the way, that doesn't want the South to change.
No, the poster was arguing that Yankees shouldn't move to pre-confederate states which is outlandish. We are all american's and need to respect one another, not get stuck in the 1800's. Can't believe some are defending the logic the poster was spouting.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:43 AM

2,631 posts, read 4,047,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
No, the poster was arguing that Yankees shouldn't move to pre-confederate states which is outlandish. We are all american's and need to respect one another, not get stuck in the 1800's. Can't believe some are defending the logic the poster was spouting.
His take may have been extreme, yet I did see some of his point on northerners complaining about southern ways of life and expecting it to change because "that's what they're used to". Meanwhile Southerners moving North would be expected to deal with the changes up there. I'm aware not all northerners think this way and not all southerners think a certain way. However there are enough northerners that fit that description, unintentionally giving others a bad name. If people moved to a different place anticipating differences in culture or not expecting a replica of someplace else, there would be less frustration all around.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:53 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
If people moved to a different place anticipating differences in culture or not expecting a replica of someplace else, there would be less frustration all around.
This sentence can sum up this whole contentious (and very very old) thread. Why did it get resurrected?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina