Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 07:41 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times

Advertisements

My parents moved from Bronx, NY when I was 3 years old. They wanted to get me and my big brother out of the city. I grew up, loving the small town that they settled in but my mom hated it. She hated the people and the lifestyle and being away from all her family. I listened to her complain for all my life. I decided as a young child that no matter what...if you are not happy where you are...you can make the best of it or be miserable. I decided not to ever be that miserable.

I'minformed...if you dislike this area so badly...why don't you move now? I'm not saying this in a mean way. I just think that life is too short to be so unhappy. You are renting a house in Apex. How hard is it to leave that and return to NY? Do it now before you regret the next 11 years of your life.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2006, 08:16 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
My parents moved from Bronx, NY when I was 3 years old. They wanted to get me and my big brother out of the city. I grew up, loving the small town that they settled in but my mom hated it. She hated the people and the lifestyle and being away from all her family. I listened to her complain for all my life. I decided as a young child that no matter what...if you are not happy where you are...you can make the best of it or be miserable. I decided not to ever be that miserable.

I'minformed...if you dislike this area so badly...why don't you move now? I'm not saying this in a mean way. I just think that life is too short to be so unhappy. You are renting a house in Apex. How hard is it to leave that and return to NY? Do it now before you regret the next 11 years of your life.

Vicki
1. We have a 2 year lease that is only 1 year old.

2. We still have to find a house to buy in NY

3. Eventhough he says he doesn't mind; it might not be the best for my son to have his senior year at a different school than his first three years.

Now, I have a question for you.... why do you seem to be so threatened and upset about me wanting to leave NC, and telling people so? That goes in in plenty of forums on this website, and even here on the NC forum. It's almost like you are nervous I'm going to get everyone to think NC is horrible and nobody will move here anymore. That's not my goal by any means. I've told many people possitive things and where to look and what to see in NC. Yeah, I do tell the truth and the negatives about living in this area (believe it or not, there are negatives about living here) because a lot of people who hear the hype about any place may need to do some considering and know all the details before packing up and moving to some place they aren't familiar with. Many future transplants have expressed this on this forum many times. Everytime someone brings up the mess that Wake County schools are in, you say "I've had 4 kids in the school system and they all did just fine". And that's probably true; I've had 2 in Wake County schools so far and they have done well too.... but that doesn't mean the issues that I and others discuss aren't true and shouldn't be considered by people who live here or want to live here.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:18 PM

311 posts, read 618,576 times
I'minformed...good luck on wherever you are. As VickiR said, life is too short to be miserable. I hope you and your family will be happy and wish all of you the best.
I grew up with an extended family nearby, so I understand what you are missing.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:23 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times
Thank you for the kind words Whitney.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:36 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,759,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney
I grew up with an extended family nearby, so I understand what you are missing.
I grew up never living near extended family, just visits during summer vacation - and I also understand the ache you feel. My husband and I purposely chose where we live now just so our kids could grow up living near relatives.

Live is too long and life is too short not to live where you want to live. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:46 PM

311 posts, read 618,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
I've had 2 in Wake County schools so far and they have done well too.... but that doesn't mean the issues that I and others discuss aren't true and shouldn't be considered by people who live here or want to live here.

I think it is a good thing to bring up these issues and let people see all sides of education here....the good and the bad. You have to weigh the pros and cons of any situation and hope you make the right decision! There ARE problems here and people should be aware of what they are before they get here. I think that it one purpose of this forum.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:43 PM

11 posts, read 24,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk0171
Daina,

Although it is very difficult leaving family and friends behind, I think you should do what is best for your family. We are leaving behind both sides of grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins......everyone is here in FL and are willing to at least give NC a try. We are renting the first year and if we are not happy over in NC, well at least i know that we tried instead of wondering "what if". I've been wanting to move for over 6 years and finally decided it was time when the market skyrocketed over here. I am hoping for a positive experience. I know for sure we will be back often, as it is only an 8-9 hour drive. Family will visit us too. And i know that we wil appreciate one another more during our visits. Good luck to you and really consider the move if it will better your life. Remember, family does not pay your mortgage and bills! As for I'minformed, he has probably had enough of NC and it's time for him and his family to head back to NY. Who knows, that might be my case in 1,2,6 or 20 years.
nk0171,

Thanks for your input. As you already know life here in NY is expensive and seems to get more expensive every year, at least for the metro area. Going forward we have a tough choice to make, we just hope that we make the right one.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
For me the hardest part was moving the day after christmas, and finding out my sister had lung cancer the week after we arrived in NC. (she passed away 2 years later). The family aspect of it is the most important to me at least. It's true that you should do what's best for you imediat family (spouse and children); and I do feel that growing up around extended family is the best for my youngest, now that my two oldest have for the most part grown up without it and expressed regret about it. It was a big blow to me when my oldest who is now 17, didn't join in on a family game of football or any conversation with 3 of his cousins close in age at a picnic a few years ago, rather he just stayed either by himself or me and my wife. I realized he didn't feel a connection with them; like they were for the most part strangers, and felt horrible about that.

I'minformed,

I sympathize with your loss. I lost my mom. She had a liver transplant that did not go quite well. We have a very large family and every time I tell them that we are thinking of relocating they go nuts! Of course in the end of things it is our choice, but there are times I do think we may be making the wrong decision. My kids are blessed with a family that cares for them. They love them so much that they are willing to help us in anyway they can, so we could stay. We have a lot of thinking to do. Thanks again.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
I'm sure you've been through it to get to Wallkill. If you blink you may miss it.
a1m1700,

LOL. I’ll make sure not to blink the next time I go to Wallkill.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR

VickiR,

I’m sure that we will make the best of it. There is no reason for us to be miserable or despondent. We strongly believe that there is always a way to make things work. Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: