Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 02:22 PM

11 posts, read 24,179 times

Advertisements

I have been reading your NC postings and I was wondering why you want to leave NC after living there for 11yrs? I see you mentioning that you want to go back to Rochester, NY. The reason for my question is because I’m thinking of relocating from Orange County, New York to NC for a better lifestyle of living. Before NC came into mind, I looked into other areas here at northern New York. Including Rochester, very nice place, and reasonable housing, but the white collar job market, doesn’t look to good. Being in the IT Field, Raleigh came into mind because of the many IT job opportunities in the area and of course the affordable housing market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2006, 02:33 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,486,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainaoto
I have been reading your NC postings and I was wondering why you want to leave NC after living there for 11yrs? I see you mentioning that you want to go back to Rochester, NY. The reason for my question is because I’m thinking of relocating from Orange County, New York to NC for a better lifestyle of living. Before NC came into mind, I looked into other areas here at northern New York. Including Rochester, very nice place, and reasonable housing, but the white collar job market, doesn’t look to good. Being in the IT Field, Raleigh came into mind because of the many IT job opportunities in the area and of course the affordable housing market.

Where in Orange County NY? That's where I'm from.

Just curious

Old 07-29-2006, 02:37 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,631,045 times
I am an architect that will be working from home as I do now. My wife is a former teacher that is going for her nursing degree. The white collar job market is actually the one doing better in Rochester right now (RIT, or Rochester Institute of Technology keeps a pretty decent IT job market in the area); while it's blue collar job market in the manufacturing sector (almost exclusively at Kodak Park) is sufferng. I am moving there mostly because my family is there. My oldest two kids grew up without really getting to see grandparents and extended family more than once or twice a year; and I want my youngest to be able to have that. I do feel that Rochester and Upstate NY as a whole has a much stronger community feel than The Triangle; mostly because the Triangle is a largely transient community. I'd suggest visiting both areas before you decide. If you can't stand snow; you won't be too fond of Rochester from November thru March; and if you can't stand oppresive heat and humidity; you won't be too fond of Raleigh from late May thru September.

Last edited by just_sayin'; 07-29-2006 at 02:51 PM..

Old 07-29-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Where in Orange County NY? That's where I'm from.

Just curious

A1m1700,
Warwick. How about you?

Old 07-29-2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
A1m1700,
Warwick. How about you?

I lived in Rock Tavern(O.C. choppers area) and Walden those are small places but you probably know them, the bigger area Is Newburgh. I knew some guys from Warwick when I was in HS. I met them in BOCES.

Old 07-29-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
I am an architect that will be working from home as I do now. My wife is a former teacher that is going for her nursing degree. The white collar job market is actually the one doing better in Rochester right now (RIT, or Rochester Institute of Technology keeps a pretty decent IT job market in the area); while it's blue collar job market in the manufacturing sector (almost exclusively at Kodak Park) is sufferng. I am moving there mostly because my family is there. My oldest two kids grew up without really getting to see grandparents and extended family more than once or twice a year; and I want my youngest to be able to have that. I do feel that Rochester and Upstate NY as a whole has a much stronger community feel than The Triangle; mostly because the Triangle is a largely transient community. I'd suggest visiting both areas before you decide. If you can't stand snow; you won't be too fond of Rochester from November thru March; and if you can't stand oppresive heat and humidity; you won't be too fond of Raleigh from late May thru September.
I'minformed,

Interesting… I definitely will have to give it more thought. I have two little ones that are very much attach to their grand parents. I really was not looking at the family aspect of things. Sometimes we get caught up, on the material things in life, new and bigger home. For my kids this is the least on their thoughts. The other day, I was telling my boy that I was thinking of relocating us to NC, he looked into my eyes and said. Are we coming back to visit Grand Ma and Grand Pa? That was a blow; I was not expecting him to say that. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with me.

Old 07-29-2006, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
I lived in Rock Tavern(O.C. choppers area) and Walden those are small places but you probably know them, the bigger area Is Newburgh. I knew some guys from Warwick when I was in HS. I met them in BOCES.
A1m1700,

My brother in law lives in Wallkill area not to far from the village of Walden, very nice area up there. I never have been up to Rock Tavern though.

Old 07-29-2006, 05:11 PM

128 posts, read 642,050 times
Default Take the chance!

Quote:
I'minformed,

Interesting… I definitely will have to give it more thought. I have two little ones that are very much attach to their grand parents. I really was not looking at the family aspect of things. Sometimes we get caught up, on the material things in life, new and bigger home. For my kids this is the least on their thoughts. The other day, I was telling my boy that I was thinking of relocating us to NC, he looked into my eyes and said. Are we coming back to visit Grand Ma and Grand Pa? That was a blow; I was not expecting him to say that. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with me.
Daina,

Although it is very difficult leaving family and friends behind, I think you should do what is best for your family. We are leaving behind both sides of grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins......everyone is here in FL and are willing to at least give NC a try. We are renting the first year and if we are not happy over in NC, well at least i know that we tried instead of wondering "what if". I've been wanting to move for over 6 years and finally decided it was time when the market skyrocketed over here. I am hoping for a positive experience. I know for sure we will be back often, as it is only an 8-9 hour drive. Family will visit us too. And i know that we wil appreciate one another more during our visits. Good luck to you and really consider the move if it will better your life. Remember, family does not pay your mortgage and bills! As for I'minformed, he has probably had enough of NC and it's time for him and his family to head back to NY. Who knows, that might be my case in 1,2,6 or 20 years.

Old 07-29-2006, 05:35 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,631,045 times
Quote:
I'minformed,

For me the hardest part was moving the day after christmas, and finding out my sister had lung cancer the week after we arrived in NC. (she passed away 2 years later). The family aspect of it is the most important to me at least. It's true that you should do what's best for you imediat family (spouse and children); and I do feel that growing up around extended family is the best for my youngest, now that my two oldest have for the most part grown up without it and expressed regret about it. It was a big blow to me when my oldest who is now 17, didn't join in on a family game of football or any conversation with 3 of his cousins close in age at a picnic a few years ago, rather he just stayed either by himself or me and my wife. I realized he didn't feel a connection with them; like they were for the most part strangers, and felt horrible about that.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
A1m1700,

My brother in law lives in Wallkill area not to far from the village of Walden, very nice area up there. I never have been up to Rock Tavern though.

Oh I forgot we lived in Walkill for one year. I went to Wallkill middle school when I was in the 6th grade. My mother was a gypsy. We moved many times and ended up back to the first destination. Rock Tavern is close to Coldenham I'm sure you've been through it to get to Wallkill. If you blink you may miss it. I remember going through Wallklill to party in New Paltz LOL.(time warp there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: