Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 09:22 PM

161 posts, read 640,722 times

Advertisements

I lived in Fargo for three years from 2006-2009. At first, I really enjoyed it. But over time, it began to wear on me. It was just too big, too busy, too congested, and too high strung. The city was just growing so fast and would become even more crowded during events or Canadian holiday weekends. Weather was never the issue.

So I was wondering if Grand Forks might be a better fit. I know it is only about half the size. Can you feel the difference? Does it feel less crowded and less congested? I made a few trips there when I lived in Fargo, but never really left the main shopping area on the south side. I seemed like Grand Forks had just about as much shopping and dining as Fargo.

I once talked to someone who had lived in both, and they said they could even tell a difference in the people, stating that Grand Forks seemed friendlier.

Just wondering if someone could compare the two, especially if you've lived or been to both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 10:01 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,007,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
I lived in Fargo for three years from 2006-2009. At first, I really enjoyed it. But over time, it began to wear on me. It was just too big, too busy, too congested, and too high strung. The city was just growing so fast and would become even more crowded during events or Canadian holiday weekends. Weather was never the issue.

So I was wondering if Grand Forks might be a better fit. I know it is only about half the size. Can you feel the difference? Does it feel less crowded and less congested? I made a few trips there when I lived in Fargo, but never really left the main shopping area on the south side. I seemed like Grand Forks had just about as much shopping and dining as Fargo.

I once talked to someone who had lived in both, and they said they could even tell a difference in the people, stating that Grand Forks seemed friendlier.

Just wondering if someone could compare the two, especially if you've lived or been to both.
I have lived in Grand Forks...now I live across the river in East Grand Forks and we visit Fargo frequently. Fargo yes is bigger and more spread out...and yes Grand Forks is smaller (metro Fargo-Moorhead-West Fargo about 3 times the size of Grand Forks-East Grand Forks). To be honest I dont think there is a huge difference. Sometimes I feel Fargo is kept up a bit better....but Grand Forks does have a much smaller town feel.

The main shopping district in GF is that south end 32nd Ave S and it can get quite congested...esp on weekends and Canadian holidays. We get a lot of traffic from Manitoba. Hockey weekends are crazy too.

I guess I would say you might need to go a step below Grand Forks to see a huge difference to say like a Jamestown, Valley City or Crookston MN. You would still have basic stores and stuff, but certainly way more small town feel.

I feel folks are friendly in both locations....

Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,007,067 times
One thing I forgot...is that GF-EGF has a flood control system in place and now can relax a bit more during the Red River floods...whereas the F-M area has a lot to hash out over the next year or two in determining that they want.

From my perspective overall real estate is just a bit cheaper in Fargo than Grand Forks....certainly on the home end. I have never rented in either place.

Dan

Old 07-06-2011, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,888 times
We are part owners of a business in Fargo. We just recently bought a house back in Crookston where my husband and I both originally grew up. Once upon a time we both couldn't wait to get away from Crookston, but after living in and owning a business in Fargo we are glad to be home in the quiet small town life again We are now opening another small business in crookston while still commuting PT to the Fargo one. Life in Fargo just got WAY to hectic, loud and crazy!!!!! small town living means something different when you get older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota