Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 PM

325 posts, read 863,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I'm think it would have to be Gail, Twila is maybe an inch or 2 taller than me and I'm 5'6". Did your brother do the application process? If so... then I think I know what it was.
So it would be helpful to get some clarity on this subject cuz this is the second time we have the applicant saying one thing and Lisan23 saying another. Or rather the applicant being told one thing and Lisan23 being told another.

Lisan23, maybe you should have private tutoring courses or be willing to act as an agent for some of us - for a fee of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 10:31 PM

91 posts, read 294,968 times
Thats just what I heard them tell him. He asked specifically about oilfield jobs and wanting to get on a rig. i think though hes gonna be working with precision now though, he used me as a reference and i physically took him to the office.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:41 PM

325 posts, read 863,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinksters View Post
Thats just what I heard them tell him. He asked specifically about oilfield jobs and wanting to get on a rig. i think though hes gonna be working with precision now though, he used me as a reference and i physically took him to the office.
Nothing beats networking. I know a woman who got a job for $25/hr because the woman whom she was going to stay with personally took her to the office and they hired her with no experience on the spot. This happened just last month.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:06 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internationalman View Post
So it would be helpful to get some clarity on this subject cuz this is the second time we have the applicant saying one thing and Lisan23 saying another. Or rather the applicant being told one thing and Lisan23 being told another.

Lisan23, maybe you should have private tutoring courses or be willing to act as an agent for some of us - for a fee of course.
When you do the SOS application there are several things you do throughout the process that if you answer incorrectly, it will automatically flag your application and the majority of the time they cannot hire you. I'm thinking this is what's happening to those who are being told they have to have 1 year of experience - which is kind of ridiculous imo.

When I worked there I was upfront with people, if something on your application pulled up a red flag I would say "hey, I can't hire you, sorry" and try and point them to other companies.

It's a corporate policy, and maybe they've changed it so that they can use excuses now, but when I was there it was just telling them truth (as much as you can). Some of the red flagged items were things we weren't allowed to disclose (don't ask, I don't know why).

That is why I asked if boinkster's brother had filled out the app, I was pretty sure that's where the "1 year of experience" excuse originated from. It also makes no sense for them to have someone fill out an app when they know the person has no experience then tell them they can't hire them because they have no experience.

This kinda bugs me... when I worked there using excuses would not fly, Joann was VERY upfront with people.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
When you do the SOS application there are several things you do throughout the process that if you answer incorrectly, it will automatically flag your application and the majority of the time they cannot hire you. I'm thinking this is what's happening to those who are being told they have to have 1 year of experience - which is kind of ridiculous imo.

When I worked there I was upfront with people, if something on your application pulled up a red flag I would say "hey, I can't hire you, sorry" and try and point them to other companies.

It's a corporate policy, and maybe they've changed it so that they can use excuses now, but when I was there it was just telling them truth (as much as you can). Some of the red flagged items were things we weren't allowed to disclose (don't ask, I don't know why).

That is why I asked if boinkster's brother had filled out the app, I was pretty sure that's where the "1 year of experience" excuse originated from. It also makes no sense for them to have someone fill out an app when they know the person has no experience then tell them they can't hire them because they have no experience.

This kinda bugs me... when I worked there using excuses would not fly, Joann was VERY upfront with people.
What excuse could they have though? I don't understand how these people run their business, lol. Hes got a mechanical engineering degree, clean record, ect. They didn't skip a beat when they told him 1 year of experience is required. Just for the heck of it, I wanna see if I can find a decoy to test this out and confront them on this, because according to the website theres no experience required. Thanks for all your input, lisan.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
What excuse could they have though? I don't understand how these people run their business, lol. Hes got a mechanical engineering degree, clean record, ect. They didn't skip a beat when they told him 1 year of experience is required. Just for the heck of it, I wanna see if I can find a decoy to test this out and confront them on this, because according to the website theres no experience required. Thanks for all your input, lisan.
No problem. It could be something as simple as how he answered questions about being late or his attendance at a previous job. It's been almost a year since I've worked there so the process may have changed a bit, so I can't say with 100% confidence that's what it is. But I'm pretty sure it is, because like you said on their site it says no experience required.

I just personally wouldn't lie to someone like that. If there was a problem with your application I'm going to give you as much information as I can so that way you don't make the same mistake twice, you know?

Lol maybe I should just start my own staffing agency. (That is a joke - I enjoyed helping people but it was one of the most stressful jobs I ever had.)

Old 12-02-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
No problem. It could be something as simple as how he answered questions about being late or his attendance at a previous job. It's been almost a year since I've worked there so the process may have changed a bit, so I can't say with 100% confidence that's what it is. But I'm pretty sure it is, because like you said on their site it says no experience required.

I just personally wouldn't lie to someone like that. If there was a problem with your application I'm going to give you as much information as I can so that way you don't make the same mistake twice, you know?

Lol maybe I should just start my own staffing agency. (That is a joke - I enjoyed helping people but it was one of the most stressful jobs I ever had.)
USC Staffing is an absolute joke. Diana who runs it is never in the office, doesn't leave signs on the door, doesn't answer phone calls. When I first got into town i went there the first day to check it out just trying to talk to someone. The lights were off, and door locked at 11 am. I kept calling throughout the day, then at 2pm the same day I drove back to the office, went in, and there was no one in there, she was just gabbing with the lady from across the hall.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
USC Staffing is an absolute joke. Diana who runs it is never in the office, doesn't leave signs on the door, doesn't answer phone calls. When I first got into town i went there the first day to check it out just trying to talk to someone. The lights were off, and door locked at 11 am. I kept calling throughout the day, then at 2pm the same day I drove back to the office, went in, and there was no one in there, she was just gabbing with the lady from across the hall.
Ya, I've tried calling over there a few times and no one ever answers. That is ridiculous and so unprofessional. If my daughter was older I'd totally consider going back to the staffing industry, I really enjoyed my job and I loved helping people. But it's just more stress and responsibility than I want to take on right now.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:01 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
How long have you worked where you are?? N.D. Fish and Wildlife?? How does the N.D. Fish and Wildlife feel the boom will effect our state? Will they be increasing their workforce too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota