Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 11:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I'll bet most of the oil service companies just pay the fine and keep on doing what they're doing. It's just a cost of doing business to them. I sure hope the driver doesn't get stuck with the fine, but I heard they just pass it on to their employer who pays it.
Not sure how this is working, but when I drove the company would pick up the fine, but the gig still went on my record. You might drive for the company, but if you went to another company they wouldn't hire you because you had so many points against you. But hey, I drove back in the early 70's in the oilfields in Wyoming. hahaha Hopefully it has changed or at least North Dakota fines the DOT number and not the DL number. In a lot of cases, the driver doesn't load and is unaware of what weight he pulls out of the field with. If he is pulling out of town and has a scale to weigh on, it's a different story. But pulling out of the field you don't know what you are hauling until you are stuck at a scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 08:05 AM

581 posts, read 2,215,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Not sure how this is working, but when I drove the company would pick up the fine, but the gig still went on my record. You might drive for the company, but if you went to another company they wouldn't hire you because you had so many points against you. But hey, I drove back in the early 70's in the oilfields in Wyoming. hahaha Hopefully it has changed or at least North Dakota fines the DOT number and not the DL number. In a lot of cases, the driver doesn't load and is unaware of what weight he pulls out of the field with. If he is pulling out of town and has a scale to weigh on, it's a different story. But pulling out of the field you don't know what you are hauling until you are stuck at a scale.
That's generally how it still is. Citation goes on the company DOT record but it also goes on the driver's MVR. Rack up enough tickets and the driver is un hirable and the company will be given an unacceptable DOT rating. Lose/lose. Companies will pay the fine if it was a dispatch error or an "accidental" overweight but it the driver is just being lazy and overloading the the driver probably pays the fine. One of our guys got a $4200 fine and HE paid it, we didn't. The oil companies aren't responsible for the fines the trucking company is. You haul THEIR overweight equipment without proper permits YOU pay the fine not them.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:42 PM

37 posts, read 79,355 times
The worst drivers in America are in Maryland.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:05 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
The worst drivers in America all have ONE THING in common:
they're all from somewhere else.

It's only in the places where the majority of drivers are all from there
and of course are quite used to the peculiar way things are done there...
that most people are able to drive normally.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:36 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times
They just did a story on that on KUMV-tv out of Williston. Sounds like West Dakota Parkway (current west bypass) will have Concrete poured once the "temporary" bypass west of Williston opens up sometime in August. What I think is funny, the reporter indicates the DOT suggests drivers drive the ruts and pretend they are a train on the tracks...lol
Link below.

Rutting Problems at Intersections in Williston on KUMV-TV North Dakota's NBC News Leader

also... a picture in the Havre, MT paper from the air looking down onto the 26th street instersection in north Williston. Probably doesn't look too bad compared to "big city" traffic, but the traffic coming from the west on the curving highway (west dakota parkway)...it can take up to 1/2 hour to get through that intersection on a busy day. The picture shows it backed up a couple miles or so.
Google Image Result for http://www.havredailynews.com/mha-media/user_uploads/05-16-2012/org_3482643-4333178.jpg

Last edited by Roloff1976; 07-28-2012 at 09:01 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra dweller View Post
Seriously?

He's not moving to oil country, he's moving to Fargo/Moorhead. The drivers here are fine. Probably better than anyplace you have lived before. It sounds like you are looking for excuses not to move here. I'll repeat what I said again, about driving in this area. Live near where you work, so you won't have to drive much when the weather conditions are bad.

Yes, you have a slightly better chance of getting pulled over here if you are doing something wrong. The police actually have time to spend on traffic patrol because they aren't out working domestic violence cases and random homicides all the time.
Old post so...have you looked at Fargo ND lately Tundra person??

Old 08-20-2016, 05:02 AM

444 posts, read 324,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The worst drivers in America all have ONE THING in common:
they're all from somewhere else.

It's only in the places where the majority of drivers are all from there
and of course are quite used to the peculiar way things are done there...
that most people are able to drive normally.
+10000000

New York drivers (apparently hated across the whole country)
Georgia drivers
North Carolina drivers
Massachusetts drivers
Pennsylvania drivers
OHIO drivers

They are either super lackadaisical, ULTRA aggressive, or dont know what turn signals, lanes, or lights are.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:16 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,779 times
The only common thread is that the most dangerous age is around 18, so it should be illegal to drive until you are in your mid-20s.

The other common thread is that drugs and alcohol are a huge contributor. I think that all drugs and alcohol should be illegal and that would solve the problem. If they were illegal, then no one would use them.

Problem solved. I don't get in very many accidents at all.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:08 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
The only common thread is that the most dangerous age is around 18, so it should be illegal to drive until you are in your mid-20s.

The other common thread is that drugs and alcohol are a huge contributor. I think that all drugs and alcohol should be illegal and that would solve the problem. If they were illegal, then no one would use them.

Problem solved. I don't get in very many accidents at all.
Ummm, WHAT?!

Prohibition made alcohol illegal. That worked out well!

Cocaine and Crack are illegal. That's working out well!

Meth is illegal. That's working out well.

Heroin is illegal. That's working out well.

As it stands now, it IS illegal to drive while under the influence of drugs and alcohol. So....

Old 08-29-2016, 03:16 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,779 times
< Whoosh! > - - sound of palm of hand passing over the top of the scalp - -
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Ummm, WHAT?!
... [ ... deletia ... ] ...
As it stands now, it IS illegal to drive while under the influence of drugs and alcohol. So....
ObPeeve:
People that don't get sarcasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota