Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:24 AM

348 posts, read 1,052,057 times

Advertisements

The Worst Drivers in America

Is it true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 11:43 AM

869 posts, read 1,495,188 times
Although I am not in ND I can say that if all the other states have bad drivers and those drivers are relocating to ND for work then thus they must be bringing their bad driving with them

Old 11-21-2011, 11:46 AM

231 posts, read 873,396 times
Seriously?

He's not moving to oil country, he's moving to Fargo/Moorhead. The drivers here are fine. Probably better than anyplace you have lived before. It sounds like you are looking for excuses not to move here. I'll repeat what I said again, about driving in this area. Live near where you work, so you won't have to drive much when the weather conditions are bad.

Yes, you have a slightly better chance of getting pulled over here if you are doing something wrong. The police actually have time to spend on traffic patrol because they aren't out working domestic violence cases and random homicides all the time.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:47 AM

348 posts, read 1,052,057 times
I am curious to know when was the Oil boom started?

Old 11-21-2011, 12:43 PM

869 posts, read 1,495,188 times
I know nothing about the OP or the OPs situation. but the bad drivers in oil country bring the whole average down for the state

Old 11-21-2011, 01:22 PM

18 posts, read 38,976 times
Here in Minot there are alot of bad drivers, alot of them are locals that have been raised here when it was quiet and not crowded. Now that there is traffic and alot of vehicles they tend to be very impatient, they cut you off when you are doing the speed limit or a little more but God Forbid an out of towner goes a few MPH over then gets pulled over. It is totally understandable and I don't mind at all having driven in 3rd world countries on the other side of the road. Not a problem for me but I can see how people from other states can say that driving here sucks. I just tend to take it easy and not mind the locals driving habits. I can't afford a ticket right now. Also, in Minot, There is basically 1 road that connects everything in Town so it is always crowded, with a lot of stop lights. The rest of the bad drivers are those who come from other places and drive around here like they do back where they are from, just to let you know OP, the Roads here were designed before the oil boom and when the population here was significantly lower than it is now. So now that it's overcrowded, bad drivers from everywhere make it hard for everybody else.

Last edited by WarMaterial; 11-21-2011 at 01:30 PM..

Old 11-22-2011, 06:56 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMaterial View Post
Here in Minot there are alot of bad drivers, alot of them are locals that have been raised here when it was quiet and not crowded. Now that there is traffic and alot of vehicles they tend to be very impatient, they cut you off when you are doing the speed limit or a little more but God Forbid an out of towner goes a few MPH over then gets pulled over. It is totally understandable and I don't mind at all having driven in 3rd world countries on the other side of the road. Not a problem for me but I can see how people from other states can say that driving here sucks. I just tend to take it easy and not mind the locals driving habits. I can't afford a ticket right now. Also, in Minot, There is basically 1 road that connects everything in Town so it is always crowded, with a lot of stop lights. The rest of the bad drivers are those who come from other places and drive around here like they do back where they are from, just to let you know OP, the Roads here were designed before the oil boom and when the population here was significantly lower than it is now. So now that it's overcrowded, bad drivers from everywhere make it hard for everybody else.
LOL, when ex-My husband (nd native)moved us back from my home state of Calif in 80's, I thought ND drivers were terrible. That was Dickinson, ND. I have lived in Williston, pre recent boom they didn't seem like bad drivers there to me. Grand Forks drivers seem to believe a yellow light means punch it. It makes for some very scarey driving in winter, on slick roads. I now hesitate always when my light turns green. I cannot tell you the amount of times I was glad I did. But, my opinion for the experiences I have had in midwest, are that Minneapolis MN drivers are the scariest I have seen. Checking the Williston facebook pg, seems most ppl blame the truck traffic there in Williston. My 2 cents

Old 11-22-2011, 07:08 AM

249 posts, read 645,471 times
Try Florida - Where you have old blue hairs driving in the faaaar left lane of a 6-lane expressway (of course, 10 mph below the speed limit)... "Lookee, it's my exit"... and cuts across ALL six lanes to get to her exit...LOL

Old 11-22-2011, 07:09 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,077,816 times
Different areas of the country have different driving habits. For instance, people in San Diego are used to driving faster, darting traffic, lane sharing, etc. If they come up to North Dakota, that type of pattern is not going to work and they are very dangerous. That driving worked fine where they were.

On the flip side of that coin, a person living in snow country and used to driving slow and cautious, will cause an accident in Los Angelas because they drive to slow. But they were safe back home.

It used to be that any area around a military base was the number 1 area for bad drivers. It wasn't bad drivers, it was all the different people from all over the country and used to driving habits back home are all of a sudden in the military. So it gave that area a bad name. Each of these people were probably very safe, where they come from.

But now, North Dakota is catching the flack. Minot always has because of the military base there. Now, with the Bakken drawing thousands and thousands of new people, they are bringing their driving habits with them and those habits don't necessarily work in snow country.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:19 PM

5 posts, read 10,934 times
I noticed the top 2 were ND and MT, and I'm assuming the rankings were based on ratio of licenses to fatal accidents. Or maybe a combination of all of the bad driving compared to the number of licensed drivers in the state.

I would question if the fatal accidents and number of DUIs/blown red lights/ etc. etc. are just for drivers licensed in that state, or does it include drivers from other areas? So a state like ND, with 450k licenses, but 198 fatal accidents is #1 because of the high fatal accidents to licensed driver ratio? Or is there some sort of metric used to quantify something that isn't very easy to quantify?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota