Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 AM

15 posts, read 42,129 times

Advertisements

Well we need to just try n start better life.
The economy here is wasting away
Gas is over 4$ a gallon. N my hubby ain't no job right now.
No steady work here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 07:49 AM

611 posts, read 1,456,180 times
You should send your husband first. The Sugar Plant is still hiring temps ($15hr) Its only temporary work but it might last long enough to get you out here.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:28 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Very true....American Crystal sugar workers were locked out last August. The company is hiring more local workers after bringing people from out state in, but it was expensive to pay for the hotel and food, etc. So there are ads in the local GF Herald and sure others looking for workers. Pay and benefits are decent. But as prev poster said it might well be temporary, but I do know some sugar workers have found work in other areas so not all will come back when/if the lockout is finished.

American Crystal Sugar has plants in Hillsboro, East Grand Forks, Crookston, Drayton and I think Moorhead, which is right across the river from Fargo.

American Crystal Sugar Company

Old 01-17-2012, 08:30 AM

Here is info on general worker position for Moorhead plant.

GENERAL WORKER - OPERATIONS MN & ND | JobsHQ

Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 AM

Ok thank's. Well ill b homeless with two kids bymyself if he goes
4yr old n 3month old.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 AM

57 posts, read 101,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valarieM85 View Post
Haha sometimes they do not work.
How far is oil fields (timewise) from renter town.
We need out from here tho. Its awful were almost homeless.
And my dad being a trucker told us bout n.d. so we r taking a chance.
Any more info would begreat . For rent..jobs... ect.
I can assure you that you WILL be homeless if you come to western ND. Even the locals are being kicked out of apartments so they can increase the rent. Price gouging is off the charts. These local landlords are disgusting.

Rental prices here are what you'd pay in southern California or even higher. A two bedroom apartment would cost you $2500+ utilities MINIMUM and it will be a total sh*t hole to boot. You'll need at least $7500 to get up here, pay for an apartment and security deposit (which they will keep regardless of how you take care of the place) . Being almost homeless in AZ is better than definatley being homeless in the -30F North Dakota winter.

I've been offered a $35/hr job with relocation and rental asstance and I still can't find a place to stay. Even making $72800 per year + my rental assitance, I'd be paying $24,000/yr in rent alone! Factor in utilities, payroll taxes, fuel, vehicle costs, food, clothing etc and I figure I'm left with about $8,000 a year tops.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 AM

I heard some places are bad but some r good. I'm hearing a lot of diffrent things

Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 AM

57 posts, read 101,271 times
There's no good in Western ND unless you have company paid housing arranged. Then it's all good.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 AM

Hi Val

I like the other posters on here agree on one thing...would not go to western ND without a job and housing lined up.... housing is just way too tough to get and sooo expensive. Minot had a flood last spring-summer and housing is very very tight....Williston and Dickinson and surrounding areas are impacted by the oil and housing issues. Bismarck is a bit better but I heard tight. The east Grand Forks and Fargo are much better and more normal housing and prices wise. Housing prices may not be cheaper than Arizona as we never got hit by the housing downturn. That said there are certainly more opportunities in the east than west housing wise and easier to get your foot on the ground. If you do have limited income....try contacting the Fargo housing authority or similar type agency to see about income restricted apartments. The availability of those may be more limited. If you head out this time of year....this is winter time and although this year has been unsually warm, it still willl be a shock to the system.

Fargo also being a larger city would have many resources for kids, families, etc who may need some help getting up and going. The public schools in Fargo are all good so no need to worry about that.

Good luck!

Old 01-17-2012, 09:12 AM

Okay so a recap what places r best to go? Name pls
Plus from everything I read ihear its a good place to raise a family.
Out here u worry bout ur windows n doors having to be double locked. Or r u going to get car jackes. Killed ect.
I appreciate all ur help thank u very much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota