Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:20 PM

405 posts, read 1,334,986 times

Advertisements

I completely agree with JWMN's post. Perfectly said! And..for the record..the corn palace is quite a sight!
The only thing I know to be different..is that you don't DARE speed through SD!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:17 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,299 times
Really? I do it all the time here...

My brother, who travels in ND quite a bit, said that the speeding fines are way less than here.
Anybody in ND received a speeding ticket? I'd curious to know!

Old 01-04-2009, 11:45 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Really? I do it all the time here...

My brother, who travels in ND quite a bit, said that the speeding fines are way less than here.
Anybody in ND received a speeding ticket? I'd curious to know!
Dunno about now, but ND used to be notorious as one big speed trap. This is how it was when I lived in MT (tho I was hatched in ND -- Devils Lake!!)

Since the speed limit has usually been higher in Montana -- ND cops sit just inside the border and write tickets all day long as folks come whizzing in from MT.

Cops around Valley City would tailgate you at night with their brights on, then when you sped up to get away from the lights blinding you in your rearview mirror, wham! Instant Ticket. (I prefer the "slam on the brakes" method of getting rid of such pests.

I never got nailed myself, but I knew folks who did, including my mom

And as to how the states differ... western part of both states is very scenic, but eastern ND seems to have more variety -- more trees, more small rivers, more small lakes, more varied crops, and up toward the Canadian border, the Turtle Mountains (okay, so they're barely hills by western standards but still very pretty). Whereas what I've seen of eastern SD was flat as a board -- nice farmland, but fewer features breaking up that landscape.

As to the west -- SD's badlands are more dramatic, but I always thought ND's badlands were prettier and more interesting.

Maybe I'm just biased.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:43 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
South Dakota: Corn Palace Photos

This is a description of the Corn Palace in Mitchell, South Dakota. As you can see, the building is redecorated yearly with colorful grains and sorghum. The building is a solid structure with deco as the site will tell you. If you're interested in more pics of it, you're welcome to check out the South Dakota "Picture" sticky.
My mom brought me the history DVD from the Corn Palace, and I finally got around to watching it. It's very cool, and if you think the current building is neat, you shoulda seen the original Corn Palace (now gone) -- probably the fanciest and most fanciful building on the whole prairie.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:36 PM

488 posts, read 1,024,672 times
Default same mothers diffrent fathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by valene1992 View Post
Hi, I'm just wondering what distinguishes ND FROM SD?
SD I heard gived you more of a country feel?? It's like a small town region...
Are the houses affordable in ND? how is the economy? and communities??
they are two diffrent states, the same nevada and north dakota thats the diffrence.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:51 PM

488 posts, read 1,024,672 times
Default thats AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
I alway thought it had to do with ND being windy. Maybe I've been wrong all these years.
AZ is the state your thinking of!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota