Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:58 PM

231 posts, read 736,620 times

Advertisements

when i was working evening shifts (which i have done since 16) i found things to do that are independent of the clock. board-games can be played anytime, books can be read anytime, bikes can be ridden (most of the year) anytime, 24hr diners are always open, the internet is always there, tools and tinkering projects are available any time, the list is finite, but long.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:04 PM

95 posts, read 291,107 times
Ive always gotten a warm reception in ND.As ive mentioned before..ive lived all my life in GA and my trips to ND are what i relish the most.So much in fact that ill be selling my home here and relocating there soon.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:19 AM

252 posts, read 661,009 times
I work the evening shift (4 pm - 1 am) and its definitely my least favorite. I preferred overnights, to be honest. At least with overnights I was able to stay up until the stores opened to go shopping. I even worked 11 am - 8 pm and that usually gave me an hour after work for errands and the night to socialize. These days I have a choice of waiting until my days off or losing hours of sleep any time I have an important errand and when work is over, everyone is drunk or in bed so I go on CD because I'm bored to tears.

Roloff1976 says:

Quote:
I have been to large cities like Denver, Mpls., Calgary, Seattle, and have been to grocery stores, restaruants, and retail stores, and I didn't see anyone going out of their way to smile or greet me when I was visiting those cities.
We've had different experiences. That happens to me about every other time I go to the twin cities. maybe its because I use public transit or walk when I'm there. I had one guy carry my luggage from the train station to the bus stop (it was ~50 lbs and he was kind of a scrawny guy. I figured if he tried to run he'd have to let go or I'd catch him). I've also met friendly strangers in eating establishments or on the street in Denver, Chicago and Cincinnati.

I have no issue admitting that a lot of North Dakotans are the "helpful" sort of friendly, but they're not gregarious at all. I've had people help get my car out of the snow, but if I try to make conversation, they're like "yeah." and then jump into their car before I can even offer to pay them. I guess that's what some here call "keeps to themselves" but it comes off as completely uninterested in meeting others to me. I actually have a friend that lived in a suburb of Miami for a bit and moved back and the only thing he really misses is the people he talked to and smoked with regularly on his walk to the c-store. He only learned a few names, but he said they sure were friendly and initiated small talk just about every time he passed them.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:40 AM

979 posts, read 3,669,556 times
Maude, you are right. I didn't mean people in the bigger cities were rude either. I have had experiences with very friendly big city dwellers...I was just saying that they are no more friendlier or unfriendlier in the larger cities than they are in smaller towns. People just have their own lives and struggles, no matter where they live. People are not always out in public to greet and meet...most are just out doing their thing and not even paying attention to who is coming in and out of doors or walking up and down the sidewalks or parking lots. Just because you don't have a smile plastered on your face or make eye contact with every person who comes your way, doesn't mean you are a rude person.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:56 PM

122 posts, read 573,325 times
The newspaper stripped the comments from the original article, and tried to rewrite the story in a more positive light, but the end result is the consensus is still the same.

The article can be read here.
Period of adjustment: Some transplants to Hazelton say they’re here to stay
Sunday, February 21, 2010
The Bismarck Tribune

Old 02-22-2010, 11:16 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOAD View Post
The newspaper stripped the comments from the original article, and tried to rewrite the story in a more positive light, but the end result is the consensus is still the same.

The article can be read here.
Period of adjustment: Some transplants to Hazelton say they’re here to stay
Sunday, February 21, 2010
The Bismarck Tribune
This just shows how biased the original article was. It made a mockery of the state of North Dakota without even telling the full story. When ND doesn't get much press, any news - positive or negative - will affect people's view of the state.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:47 PM

122 posts, read 573,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
This just shows how biased the original article was. It made a mockery of the state of North Dakota without even telling the full story. When ND doesn't get much press, any news - positive or negative - will affect people's view of the state.
As someone who grew up, went to school, and has lived in dozens of towns in ND, both large and small... I can tell you that the original article paints a picture that will actually happen to a certain percentage of families that move from a major urban center to small town North Dakota. I've seen it happen with my own eyes, time and again for over four decades!

City-Data and the local media do neither the small towns they are trying to help, nor the families seeking to relocate any favors by painting a false picture of utopia.

Since the days of Dakota Territory, this has been a hard place, that attracted hard, stubborn immigrants. Think about it, there's a reason that ND is one of the least populated states in the union.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 9,485 times
Default I can relate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish View Post
Good question...

I think a lot of people really have little to no understanding of what North Dakota is like. Before my family moved here in '96, I barely even knew where the state was, let alone what to expect. I remember telling friends and teachers that my family was moving, and they were just as confused as I was. Most of my extended family has yet to make the effort to visit us "out west" since they have no desire to travel here and are content to stay on the east coast.

Still, it really is hard to believe that only one family out of hundreds of applicants eventually made the move. Additionally, why was this family out of all the others chosen to relocate? If there was any kind of screening or interview process, the people of Hazelton had to have known a ritzy family from Florida wasn't going to fit in right away. I just don't get it.
I can relate to what you have said about your family having no desire to ever come to ND. However when I came to ND the first time in1986, My first husband was from here,we married in my home state, then moved here to ND his home state. If I had never met him, ND was not in my vocabulary! We moved back to my home state after 6 years. My then husband liked my home state better. After his death in 2001, I remarried and made the move back to ND. my new husband was much as I was the first time. ND? This time for me was somewhat different. 3 of my family memebers had relocated here during my first round in the state. They stayed after I left the first time. My new husband had no ties to here other than myself, and my 2 youngest daughters. Living here at first is a major culture shock. The cold weather, and in a small town the conveniences of 24hr stores and a varity of stores, is simply not here. Lack of jobs, and sky high rent, and simply wanting a slower pace was a few reasons for our move here. Our family in our home state did not agree with our choices. We made the move, packed our van and set out on the long journey. We didnt have much when we arrived here. We basicaly started over. With in 24hrs a Pastor from a local church helped us with furniture, food, and we arrived 2 days before Thanksgiving, he provided us with Thanksgiving dinner. So there are good people around, and there are not so nice people. There are some that would rather new comers just stay away. you have those people everywhere. I have many stories I could tell about life here. Good and bad! Life has not been so simple since moving here, but it hasnt been so bad either. You have to take both and adapt and keep moving forward! As far as the rest of our family my husabnds mother and sister came for a visit. They did not like it here. not modern enough for them here. We have adapted.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:23 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times
I was only in ND for a short time... I-29 up to Exit 20-something, then ND-13 east through Wahpeton, but I did have to stop in Wahpeton for some gas.

The gas station I stopped at had a large-ish restaurant/seating area in it where there were a couple of young locals. The employee was mopping the floor and said "Hello" but looked at me weirdly, I said Hello back.

If I got a general idea of North Dakotans from that, which I don't paint broad brushes, it would be that NDans are nice, but cautious. That's all.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:25 PM

7 posts, read 21,307 times
I packed up my entire family and moved from North Carolina to Bismarck. I have to say that the people are nicer here. I was surprised. Everyone we encountered went out of there way to make our relocation easier.

The family in Hazelton is different. I got the impression that they didn't really try to fit in. Why would you open a second coffee shop in a town that small? That just seems like you are being a jerk to the locals. Now, I don't know the town or the family so my thoughts are strictly an opinion. (Please don't blast me with a bunch of negativity, I am allowed to have an opinion)

To those who are thinking of making ND their home, come on, a nicer community you will never find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota