Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2022, 04:46 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
I'm in the city and uses natural gas, but my bill was $305 for this month, and $285 last month
Oil is up about 150% of what we were paying last year. I can picture where that can be a major problem for many this winter as the cold snap continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 10:00 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Oil is up about 150% of what we were paying last year. I can picture where that can be a major problem for many this winter as the cold snap continues.
Hi Fisheye, it's me.....

I've found in the past what they do is play a game with consumers....they will continue to raise prices, until people start complaining to an overwhelming point, and then lower the price, not to where it was, but maybe a 50% more, so that people will feel they are saving something....not sure if you understand that...but that is what they've done in the past, many times....so if the starting price was 1.50 a gallon, and now it started going up to 4.50 and people all over the U.S. become angry they will lower it to 3.50 and people now think they've got a bargin....

Hope your doing well.

Old 01-24-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Hi Fisheye, it's me.....

I've found in the past what they do is play a game with consumers....they will continue to raise prices, until people start complaining to an overwhelming point, and then lower the price, not to where it was, but maybe a 50% more, so that people will feel they are saving something....not sure if you understand that...but that is what they've done in the past, many times....so if the starting price was 1.50 a gallon, and now it started going up to 4.50 and people all over the U.S. become angry they will lower it to 3.50 and people now think they've got a bargin....

Hope your doing well.
Hope you are also doing well!

The heating oil I just had delivered cost about $400 more than it did last year. I can pay that, but many cannot. That is especially true for people on a fixed income and considering the rising price of groceries and other consumable goods. So I am just worried when so many are going to suffer. There are about 5.5 million homes in the US that are heated with oil.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:00 PM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
I paid $2.8990/gallon for heating oil in December. I just checked and the current price is $3.2490. Hopefully I won't have to fill up again until April or May when the price should come down a bit. Although with Brandon at the controls of the economy the price may spike in the spring.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I paid $2.8990/gallon for heating oil in December. I just checked and the current price is $3.2490. Hopefully I won't have to fill up again until April or May when the price should come down a bit. Although with Brandon at the controls of the economy the price may spike in the spring.
Unfortunately, for these cold months left in this year, Spring will be too late. It will leave many in debt for the rest of the year. The price of my oil was about the same as yours after my senior's discount and early pay discount.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:08 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, for these cold months left in this year, Spring will be too late. It will leave many in debt for the rest of the year. The price of my oil was about the same as yours after my senior's discount and early pay discount.
I didn't know that there was a discount for seniors. Do you have to qualify in some way? Do filthy rich seniors get that discount? It would probably cost too much to figure out.

I heat with gas and no longer live in that area. Still, it's an expensive year.

Old 01-27-2022, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I didn't know that there was a discount for seniors. Do you have to qualify in some way? Do filthy rich seniors get that discount? It would probably cost too much to figure out.

I heat with gas and no longer live in that area. Still, it's an expensive year.
Many people never ask and, therefore, never get a discount. It always pays to ask, the least they can do is say: No. Also, people should always check for military discounts or discounts given to selected employers. Why pay more if you don't have to?

I don't know about the grocery stores in your area, but many of ours give senior discounts on certain days. Stores can also have different starting ages for senior discounts, so always check and save.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:35 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
I used to get 10% off at Home Depot and Lowe's because my husband was career military. It wasn't much, but it helped. Now you have to sign up for an online account to get the discount. I don't qualify because I'm a widow. Thanks Richard. His pension checks ended when he died.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:57 AM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
I don't know about the grocery stores in your area, but many of ours give senior discounts on certain days. Stores can also have different starting ages for senior discounts, so always check and save.
For Weis it's Tuesday, and they give 5% discount on their house brand items. I think their "senior citizen" age is 60 but I started getting the discount before I hit that milestone. I have no idea how my birth year got messed up in their system!

I'll have to check with my oil company. They offer an "online ordering" discount but they don't advertise any others.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
For Weis it's Tuesday, and they give 5% discount on their house brand items. I think their "senior citizen" age is 60 but I started getting the discount before I hit that milestone. I have no idea how my birth year got messed up in their system!

I'll have to check with my oil company. They offer an "online ordering" discount but they don't advertise any others.
That is what I am saying, you have to ask. They do not always volunteer that information. I am pretty sure one supermarket used to start giving the discounts at 55, but I forget which one. Gerania talked about the discounts at Home Depot and Lowes. I used to get those discounts when I could just show my Honorable discharge papers, but not anymore. They changed it to where you have to have a photo ID and they are not quick to pass those out to people that served their time in the Reserves. Maybe someday that will change?

It would be wise to check with your heating oil company to see if they give any discounts, especially with the rate increases that are affecting all of us. Pocono Oil and Propane offer a discount and I believe Pennywise also offers a discount - but you need to check and also compare the rates with and without the discounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania