Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:06 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
LOL - A Christmas Story - I LOVE THAT MOVIE - especially when the hound dogs steal the turkey and trash the kitchen... and the leg lamp, and the flat tire curse by Ralphie, tongue on the frozen flagpole ...

I watch that movie at least 3 times on Christmas Day.. LOL

Sheena - good luck. If I were you I'd call around to any vegetarian restaurants in the area to see if they are open.

How about a Tofu Turkey via the Microwave? Yummy!!

Or else you can just buy a pumpkin pie, hit the Wegman wine machine a few times and spend the day DRINKING HEAVILY... LOL

Sorry for bustin on ya - just kidding..
We agree on something! I love, love, love A Christmas Story!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 06:01 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Oh, Thank you Magritte! I will try that one too!
It was on an internet list of places serving TG dinner, but I didn't get to it yet.
The name did sound promising though.After calling four places, I became frustrated and posted, hey I knew that I'd be the recipient of the usual veggie roast - I figured I'd get one or two places - and so I did - it was worth it!
~ Sheena

Old 11-17-2010, 06:08 AM

Between the wonderful "A Christmas Story" and the awful Westboro Baptist Church, there are a couple of things a few of us can agree upon in this sub forum!
~Sheena

Old 11-17-2010, 06:47 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

We really don't want to spend Thanksgiving at a Chinese restaurant if at all possible.
I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner for the first time ever in our house, and I've never cooked a turkey and I'm not much of a chef, but I want to give it a try. The running joke is that we're going to end up at a Chinese restaurant just like on A Christmas Story.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:54 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner for the first time ever in our house, and I've never cooked a turkey and I'm not much of a chef, but I want to give it a try.
The key is correct and same temp throughout. If you don't have a meat thermometer get one. Thaw it, then in the morning allow it to come to room temperature for an an hour or two before cooking but ice the breasts down with ice packs . This will allow the breasts which take a shorter time to cook to even out with the other parts. Ah damn , I just gave the secret away.

I only add seasoning and some butter underneath the skin. Put the oven on as high as it will go, let it cook like this for about 30 to 40 minutes until you have a nice crispy outside. Cover the top with tin foil and drop the temp to 350 and let it cook until the meat reaches 165, Cooking time is about 10 minutes per pound. Don't baste it, this just makes the skin soggy. Pull it out of the oven and let it sit for about 15 minutes before carving it. Don't stuff it either.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:25 AM

996 posts, read 1,057,074 times
Here's my Moist Turkey Secret..

For the prep, do as Coalman suggested.

For the first 1.5 hours, bake the turkey breast side down (butter the pan and breast skin well so it does not stick to the pan and pull off when you later flip it right side up).

By doing this, all the internal juices will flow into the breast and result in moist white meat.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:27 AM

996 posts, read 1,057,074 times
Quote:
Now don't be hangin' around the wine machine VB - you could put your eye out that way! :-)
Thanks for the advice Sheena.

But the only wine I drink is homemade and comes in gallon jugs with twist caps - no danger of flying corks !!

Old 11-17-2010, 11:28 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
I would hit up a VFW or American Legion,, Most have free meals But are willing to accept donations . Ive spent a few Thanksgivings helping cook those free meals and I can say ,Its a GREAT way to meet people in your area , and at the same time have a great meal, And truly be thankful. For most of those around you fought to give us the freedom we enjoy , And for that I am truly Thankful...

Happy Thanksgiving ...

Old 11-17-2010, 02:36 PM

I think we are all set up for dinner. Funny how many people love that movie! My kids are teens now and they still watch it with us, with popcorn and hot chocolate!

They make home made wine in PA?
Is that like bootlegging or is it legal here?
Is it safe ? Where do you buy it?

Old 11-17-2010, 03:14 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
They make home made wine in PA?
Yes.

Quote:
Is that like bootlegging or is it legal here?
There's some regualtions but mostly just to insure you aren't selling it. My aunt makes maybe 100 gallons each year in big glass jugs. Her step father was the master, he had something like a still setup that he would use to make a heavy wine from peaches that was more like a rock and rye, didn't need many drinks of that to get snookered.

Quote:
Is it safe ? Where do you buy it?
Absolutely safe , you can't buy it. Either make it or find someone that does. A lot of people will bring it out around the holidays, it's somewhat of tradition in many families.

There is some pretty simple setups to make it, glass jug, concentrate, lots of sugar, some yeast and a balloon such as:
Quote:
BALLOON WINE

2 lg. cans Welsh grape juice concentrate
1 tsp. dry yeast, dissolved in 1/2 c. warm water
4 c. sugar

Fill jug with above ingredients and then fill the rest with water to within 2 inches of top. Shake well. Tie balloon with string. Balloon will inflate and when it goes down again your wine should be ready. This takes about 4 to 6 weeks. Keep in a dark cool place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania