Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 03:39 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
The comment is not stupid at all. I realize I'm talking about food genius. It's a silly pizza thread, it's not made to be taken seriously. I don't care if all of PA eats OF pizza, go right ahead, it's a free country. We are just asking why they put American cheese on pizza? That's it. And why they call themselves the pizza capital of the world when they sell basically grilled cheese on a crust. It's no biggie!!!!
OMG

Are you STILL asking? Really? No, I mean it. REALLY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 03:51 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Actually according to the history of the Philly Cheesesteak, the first cheese to be used on the steak sandwich was provolone in the 1940s.

The Cheesesteak Cometh - Philadelphia Magazine - phillymag.com

Frank Olivieri Jr.: The cheese really came up in the ’40s out at the Pat’s on Ridge Avenue. The first cheese was a provolone cheese. We had a manager named Joe Lorenza, or Cocky Joe. He was always drunk, completely inebriated. A waste of our time. But he was the first person to put cheese on the sandwich.

Cheez Wiz wasn't "invented" until 1953, so technically the "real Philly cheesesteak" has provolone.
Interesting, I didn't know that. I doubt Gino's, Pat's, Tony's or even Ricks would acknowledge it or care. But I personally prefer sharp provolone.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:39 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
Interesting, I didn't know that. I doubt Gino's, Pat's, Tony's or even Ricks would acknowledge it or care. But I personally prefer sharp provolone.
me too, provolone is awesome

Old 06-08-2011, 06:06 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
OMG

Are you STILL asking? Really? No, I mean it. REALLY?
You didn't get it either. I'm not still asking, the questions were the original intent of the OP. I was referring to them when that poster said my comments were stupid, which they were not. I'm tiring of this pizza thread anyway, but I had to defend my comments as not being stupid, but logical.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,699 times
Did anybody ever wonder why Old Forge thinks it's a good idea to put American Cheese on pizza? More importantly, is it REAL American cheese or is it that American Cheese Product aka welfare cheese?

I hear that there is a pizza place in Nanticoke that bills itself as "The Best Pizza on Earth" and they use Velveeta Cheese and catsup. or is it ketchup?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
Did anybody ever wonder why Old Forge thinks it's a good idea to put American Cheese on pizza? More importantly, is it REAL American cheese or is it that American Cheese Product aka welfare cheese?

I hear that there is a pizza place in Nanticoke that bills itself as "The Best Pizza on Earth" and they use Velveeta Cheese and catsup. or is it ketchup?
That's another good question, is it REAL cheese?

Old 06-08-2011, 08:19 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:

OMG

Welfare cheez is the best! I remember it so fondly from my childhood.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:28 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
OMG

Welfare cheez is the best! I remember it so fondly from my childhood.
Gubmint cheez actually isn't bad at all....I haven't had it in decades, but I remember it being pretty good.

Probably would make a pretty tasty pizza.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:33 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Have you been to the cheesesteak place across from Krispy Kreme?
No I haven't, but I've heard some pretty lousy reviews from both family and friends.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:58 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,561 times
Quote:

Now that's just sickening, i'm guessing is welfare cheese. I'm going to Jersey next weekend, i will be sure to stop and get some great pizza, can't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania