Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 06:57 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,389,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Not my job. I like to think responsible adults would monitor themselves.
Merely a joke theatergypsy, merely a joke.

I'm sorry but nothing, and I mean NOTHING, riles me up more than ignorant, racist remarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 07:10 AM

8,094 posts, read 10,694,630 times
This is what is happening everywhere in what used to be prospering blue-collar, manufacturing towns.

In our town, it is a running joke about how many "Dollar" stores we have: Dollar Trees, Dollar Generals, Family Dollars, Save a Dollars, et. We also have a proliferation of second hand stores, consignment stores, and pawn shops.

Then there are the many, many pharmacy chains on every corner, and ethnic beauty supply and hair salons. Those on social programs, the elderly on social security and medicare, and those on other social assistance programs, are the only ones with money to spend anymore. The rest of us are working and struggling along on pitiful wages trying to keep roofs above our heads.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:30 AM

711 posts, read 959,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
This area was much better before they got here.
There is that word "they" again. And since you claim it is not racist, I guess you mean people from the New York city area. With that, I agree. Scranton was much better in the 60s and 70s before the influx of people moving in from the NYC area.

On topic, it is sad about Brunetti's closing. My brother worked there as a butcher for years. He and I both played on Brunetti's softball team in the early 80s. The Brunetti's are a nice family and I wish them the best in the future.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:20 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,989,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Merely a joke theatergypsy, merely a joke.

I'm sorry but nothing, and I mean NOTHING, riles me up more than ignorant, racist remarks.
No offense taken, Mag. I, too, would prefer to come to the board where discussion is relevant to the topic. In this case, Brunetti's closing.

Brunetti's was sold over a year ago and the new owners had said they were going to keep it just as it was. That comes from a Times-Tribune article of May 2010. The OP gives no documentation as to the source of his information, so I'm waiting for someone - anyone - Bueller? - to come along with something concrete other than "I heard".

Meantime, take the racial discussion to another thread. And just for a point of general information, my heart isn't bleeding. I dislike all bad people equally.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:58 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,676,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
There is that word "they" again. And since you claim it is not racist, I guess you mean people from the New York city area. With that, I agree. Scranton was much better in the 60s and 70s before the influx of people moving in from the NYC area.

On topic, it is sad about Brunetti's closing. My brother worked there as a butcher for years. He and I both played on Brunetti's softball team in the early 80s. The Brunetti's are a nice family and I wish them the best in the future.
I'm from the NY area and I was not referring to the transplants as "they". I was referring to a group of people that commit crimes and make the city worse. They can be white, black, Asian or Hispanic. If you have a part in drugs, crime, vandalism or anything that brings the city down, I do not care for that kind of activity. I don't see color, I just see bad people. If that group of people happen to be minorities, blacks or Hispanics, then so be it. I'm not speculating on why Brunetti's is closing, but the last thing we need is another dollar store, as one poster said, we have enough in the general area.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If the above post is an example of a Christian man, I am wholly ashamed.
I am a very Christian man. What did I say that was wrong?. I hear others from around here, who grew up in west side, tell me how bad it has gotten in the last few years. Crime has gone up. people are leaving and the neighborhoods are decaying. I see in the paper about more crimes involving drugs and guns every other day. I'm not making this stuff up, I wish I was. I'm a peaceful man, I don't like violence. I don't like bleeding hearts trying to paint a different picture and distorting the truth. The truth hurts and it is sometimes bad, but we can't run and hide from it. Thank God we have Chief Duffy in west side snuffing out crime when he sees it or it would be far worse here.

So, what is your solution? How come in the last few years it has gotten worse here since there has been more of an influx of low-income minorities? Is it just a coincidence? I would like to know how I'm racist because I don't like seeing once nice neighborhoods destroyed. People who have worked hard for what they have and for their surroundings to start looking like a ghetto. I agree with Dan, it may come to a point where I may purchase a hand gun and a permit to carry for protection.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:28 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,790,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I am a very Christian man. What did I say that was wrong?. I hear others from around here, who grew up in west side, tell me how bad it has gotten in the last few years. Crime has gone up. people are leaving and the neighborhoods are decaying. I see in the paper about more crimes involving drugs and guns every other day. I'm not making this stuff up, I wish I was. I'm a peaceful man, I don't like violence. I don't like bleeding hearts trying to paint a different picture and distorting the truth. The truth hurts and it is sometimes bad, but we can't run and hide from it. Thank God we have Chief Duffy in west side snuffing out crime when he sees it or it would be far worse here.

So, what is your solution? How come in the last few years it has gotten worse here since there has been more of an influx of low-income minorities? Is it just a coincidence? I would like to know how I'm racist because I don't like seeing once nice neighborhoods destroyed. People who have worked hard for what they have and for their surroundings to start looking like a ghetto. I agree with Dan, it may come to a point where I may purchase a hand gun and a permit to carry for protection.
My ex did buy himself a handgun, but he lives in Gouldsboro and i don't see any crime there, it's peaceful, kept clean and people take pride in the community they live in and keep their homes nice. He goes to the VA, so he said he bought it for that reason and when he has to drive thru Scranton, sad fact, but it's true. Scranton has become a garbage dump and why? It didn't look like this 20 yrs ago, look around, it's become one big, huge ghetto, it's sad.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
My ex did buy himself a handgun, but he lives in Gouldsboro and i don't see any crime there, it's peaceful, kept clean and people take pride in the community they live in and keep their homes nice. He goes to the VA, so he said he bought it for that reason and when he has to drive thru Scranton, sad fact, but it's true. Scranton has become a garbage dump and why? It didn't look like this 20 yrs ago, look around, it's become one big, huge ghetto, it's sad.
My friend's dad lives in South Sterling and he carries but he is also a constable. It is sad to look around Scranton and see what it has become. Twenty years ago it may have looked distressed, but now it just looks like a ghetto, like you stated. It's a matter of having some pride and respect in the area that you live in and respect for others.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:51 PM

207 posts, read 285,772 times
Not sure why people talk about Scranton like it's a section of Camden, NJ? That sort of confuses me. I am nestled almost right next to Hotel Sun and I have never had any problems since I moved into this area since a year ago. I like it much more than West Side, although I have no gripes against the area. It could be worse.

Back on topic, sucks Brunetti's is closed. I used to live in an apartment behind there. The owner was a super nice guy and was always polite and helpful when I had questions. I would've preferred to continue supporting a place like this over Walmart or Price Chopper.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:43 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,389,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_by_Cedar View Post
Not sure why people talk about Scranton like it's a section of Camden, NJ? That sort of confuses me. I am nestled almost right next to Hotel Sun and I have never had any problems since I moved into this area since a year ago. I like it much more than West Side, although I have no gripes against the area. It could be worse.

Back on topic, sucks Brunetti's is closed. I used to live in an apartment behind there. The owner was a super nice guy and was always polite and helpful when I had questions. I would've preferred to continue supporting a place like this over Walmart or Price Chopper.
I don't get it either Mike. One of two things: These people are HIGHLY sheltered and don't understand how real ghettos work or they have an agenda in making Scranton look as bad as Camden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania